Topic: Water to air intercoolers

I'm heavily considering a water to air intercooler for the saab, but I want to know if anyone has used one in a Lemons car and their experience. The internet is full of people with opinions on what "should" or "shouldn't" work, plenty of people saying that water to air is better every time, and others saying it doesn't last on track.

My reasoning for considering it has to do with the stock saab setup. We have overheating problems currently with the car (or I do, other drivers seem to not have the same issues). I can easily get the car up to 220 or beyond if I try. We're upgraded the radiator, biggest one we can get in there. The stock intercooler is the same height and width as the radiator, so there is no part of the radiator that is getting clean air that hasn't already been heated.

My logic is that if I can cut the height of whatever heat exchanger is in front of the radiator so some of the radiator gets clean air, or move the intercooler heat exchanger somewhere else, it may help the cooling system. However if someone has experience backing up the claim that water to air systems heat soak faster than a straight air air system, then that isn't a good way to go.

I have some other plans for changes, like trying to angle the radiator some so we can fit bigger fans and exhaust ducting. The radiator is hard up against the engine, so I have the largest fans I can physically fit, but they aren't the best fans available because of the available room.

not my car, but a stock 9-5 to give an idea of how tight the front of the car is. We have moved the battery, so that whole space is now open and would nicely fit a water to air heat exchanger.
http://www.oneshift.com/showroom/uploadimages/resized-2007032234346455.jpg

I've done some front end air ducting, but I think there is more I can do. I'll be redoing all of that this month while the drivetrain is out to replace the exploded transmission.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

2 (edited by chaase 2022-04-01 08:42 AM)

Re: Water to air intercoolers

Have you looked into ways to remove hot air from the engine compartment. For example, on some cars you can remove the weather stripping by the base of the windshield and that helps get hot air out of the engine compartment.

If you are using headers or tubular exhaust manifolds, you might be able to wrap them to reduce under hood temperatures.

how is the space on the other side of the radiator/intercooler? could you switch from pullers to pushers and mount on the other side of the radiator?

We did tilt the radiator on the Saturn wagon. The eventual goal was to put a vent/bend down the metal over that area to help vent hot air. Picture it like a ramp that the air takes over the top of the hood after is passes through the radiator. Saturn's don't have heat problems and it is more related to stupid ideas like turbo charging it.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

All I can offer here is what Porsche did with the 935 back in the day.  Where the rules allowed it, they ran an air-to-air intercooler.  When the rules didn't (something to do with modified bodywork) they used air to water and ran less boost.  I *think* the issue was that in endurance racing the water eventually heated, becoming less effective and also upsetting the fuel balance.  I'm guessing due to packaging they couldn't get enough air through it.  I know there isn't much room in the SAAB's nose and the stock radiator isn't exactly robust.  I'm wondering if one of the those long/wide but not very high but thick aftermarket intercoolers mounted under the bumper would do it for you.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

I've ditched the cat, which used to sit directly next to the radiator, and we're wrapped the down pipe. The turbo has a shockingly effective heat shield over it.

We have added a hood vent to try and get air out from behind the radiator. I THINK I can get the radiator to lean and open up more space for better ducting to this vent and also add better fans.

We have an aftermarket radiator that is like 60% thicker than the OEM in there, not much more we can do to that part.

I can try one of the aftermarket air to air that is not the full radiator footprint. It's been an internal debate between that and a water to air system.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Are you running extra boost?  Is there a more efficient turbo? Turbo blanket? 

What do your AFRs look like at boost?  Does the ECU over fuel enough to keep the engine cool?

My 2.3L redblock runs 12-15 psi of boost all day long and temp stays at 180.  Stock radiator and same size stock intercooler in front of it.  It has only gotten warm when timing was retarded accidentally, still never overheated

Do you have an oil cooler?

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Stock boost, maybe 1psi over. AFRs look fine. We have a tune on it because stock tune tried to be more fuel efficient which only hurt the overheating problem. New tune fixed that so now AFRs are mostly 11s to low12s if I'm recalling correctly. Getting it tuned further is on the table of options. It's never been on a dyno to get a good look at everything it's doing under load.

We do have a large oil cooler and I've replaced the OEM thermostat plate to get larger feed/return lines to the cooler.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

Air is lazy and will find the path of least resistance.    Make better ducting to the intercooler and then to the radiator.   Once the air has nowhere else to go but through the intercooler and radiator you will have better cooling.      Use carboard for templates and then use thin aluminum for the ducting.  Its relatively cheap and will help your IAT and Coolant temps.      Also if you dont have a fan on the radiator adding one will always help.

Interesting group of replies that all address cooling in the same way.

How about this:
Air to Water Intercooler
Water to Air heat exchanger in the rear with blower fans and NACA ducts
in the rear quarter windows, or a roof mounted scoop.

The extra distance from front to back increases the volume of coolant.
The rear mount provides numerous possibilities for larger heat exchangers.
The removal of the front-mount and addition of rear-mount moves weight in the correct direction.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

I've considered rear mounted heat exchangers for the water portion. We have a wagon with a ton of space, but at the same time we have a wagon, so no closed off trunk. The question becomes does that run afoul of the rules about fluids in the cabin. I don't think we'd get water up to 200°F, and it's just water, but still, does that break the rule?

So far no replies from anyone actually using a water to air setup. Lots of things that could be done to the current setup, all of which I've considered. I'd still be interested in knowing if anyone has used one.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

TheEngineer wrote:

I've considered rear mounted heat exchangers for the water portion. We have a wagon with a ton of space, but at the same time we have a wagon, so no closed off trunk. The question becomes does that run afoul of the rules about fluids in the cabin. I don't think we'd get water up to 200°F, and it's just water, but still, does that break the rule?

So far no replies from anyone actually using a water to air setup. Lots of things that could be done to the current setup, all of which I've considered. I'd still be interested in knowing if anyone has used one.

I dont think using a water to air is going to be better than an air to air thats why there are no responses.

Its going to add a bunch of weight, and more parts to fail for likely warmer IAT.         Air to air works, why solve a problem that doesnt exist.

11 (edited by chaase 2022-04-04 05:17 AM)

hkerekes wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

I dont think using a water to air is going to be better than an air to air thats why there are no responses.

Its going to add a bunch of weight, and more parts to fail for likely warmer IAT.         Air to air works, why solve a problem that doesnt exist.

Air-to-water is better at dissipating heat.  It is a more complicated system and expensive system. My concern is being about to cool the coolant in the air-to-water system to make it worth the effort. If the coolant ends up being heat soaked, you won't get the benefit. You'll end up with a less reliable system.

I haven't seen the front end of a Saab in years. I don't know how much room you have in front of the radiator. Do you have room for a shorter but thicker intercooler? In theory, the heat exchanger can be mounted anywhere in the engine compartment. How is the flow where the battery used to be? Could you get the exchanger there?

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

chaase wrote:

Air-to-water is better at dissipating heat.  It is a more complicated system and expensive system. My concern is being about to cool the coolant in the air-to-water system to make it worth the effort. If the coolant ends up being heat soaked, you won't get the benefit. You'll end up with a less reliable system.

Right. On paper water to air is better. The heat exchangers flow air better because you can have mismatched ports for the air vs water, water is great at heat dissipation/absorption. It's the heat soak variable I don't know about. An air to air setup can heat soak too. I wish I had collected more data in other races to know what our system was doing. Meaning if we're already seeing IATs that are high with the air to air, can the water to air be worse?

I haven't seen the front end of a Saab in years. I don't know how much room you have in front of the radiator. Do you have room for a shorter but thicker intercooler? In theory, the heat exchanger can be mounted anywhere in the engine compartment. How is the flow where the battery used to be? Could you get the exchanger there?

There is room. Right now I have a big fat oil cooler that is roughly 1/4 the height of the radiator sitting in front of both it and the intercooler, but there is space to fit that and a fatter shorter intercooler in that lower space. I don't think the battery box area gets much flow. We'd have to ditch the headlight to get anything.

I still think airflow is being dead ended in the engine bay. It comes through and just hits a wall that is the engine with nowhere to go. I haven't found a good way to improve that because there is so little space.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

Still got the heater core connected?  Could you rig a second radiator off the heater core lines?

There is no doubt that an air to water is better at cooling but during an endurance race it wont be.     If you are putting a heat exchanger then why not just mount the air to air there instead.     

Think about it.  You would be using air to cool water to cool the intake temps.   Or just use air to cool the intake temps..............................................................................     An air to water is not for endurance racing.

TheEngineer wrote:

I still think airflow is being dead ended in the engine bay. It comes through and just hits a wall that is the engine with nowhere to go. I haven't found a good way to improve that because there is so little space.

You have to focus on hot air extraction if you feel that is the problem. Can you move the oil cooler. They can literally go anywhere especially if you attach a fan to it. That would be one less item to cool off in the frontal area.  If you are coming to Pitt, Manny and I will be there with the Javelin. Manny has some experience turbo charging and would be happy to chat/brain storm once we get through tech on Friday.

I know the supercharged corvettes had issues with heat soak with the air-to-water setups during track days. Their intercooler was mounted on the engine so it may not be equivalent.

Out of curiosity, is it a newish problem or has it always been that way?  If its something that developed over time AND Saabs are bottom breather then it could be a matter of the radiator fins getting clogged. it is a common problem with bottom breathing cars.

hkerekes wrote:

There is no doubt that an air to water is better at cooling but during an endurance race it wont be.     If you are putting a heat exchanger then why not just mount the air to air there instead.     

Think about it.  You would be using air to cool water to cool the intake temps.   Or just use air to cool the intake temps..............................................................................     An air to water is not for endurance racing.

The benefit is that with a water to air you can put the water to ambient heat exchanger anywhere and get it out of the air stream that's feeding the engine radiator. Since I'm having overheating issues that means less preheating to the radiator. I'm sure I can go calculate the required heat exchanger and water tank volume for a water to air system that won't heat soak. Is it more complicated, yes, but that's the trade off that's being weighed, is a more complex system worth it to help improve the other problem. My interest in a water to air system is less about the benefits to the charge air, and more to see if it can be a positive change to the radiator issue.

chaase wrote:

You have to focus on hot air extraction if you feel that is the problem. Can you move the oil cooler. They can literally go anywhere especially if you attach a fan to it. That would be one less item to cool off in the frontal area.  If you are coming to Pitt, Manny and I will be there with the Javelin. Manny has some experience turbo charging and would be happy to chat/brain storm once we get through tech on Friday.

I know the supercharged corvettes had issues with heat soak with the air-to-water setups during track days. Their intercooler was mounted on the engine so it may not be equivalent.

Out of curiosity, is it a newish problem or has it always been that way?  If its something that developed over time AND Saabs are bottom breather then it could be a matter of the radiator fins getting clogged. it is a common problem with bottom breathing cars.

Won't be at Pitt unfortunately. We're spending April repairing the exploded transmission.

The fact is I don't know for sure where the problem is. I suspect it's a combination of several factors. The car has always had problems with overheating, but we've taken steps to make it better. It has a better radiator in it, one that's like 60% thicker. Can't go bigger footprint because there just isn't anymore space. I have the biggest fans I can fit in it. I want bigger. I'd rather have the OEM fans, but ours died a shaky death and replacements are crazy money. I've improved ducting as best I can, but suspect there is more I can do, and a ton I can do on extraction. It was partially tuning because stock tune targets fuel economy over sustained WOT safety, so a minor tune to change targets really made things a bunch better, but didn't 100% solve it.

I really think I'm just fighting the limitations of a cooling system designed for the street in a modern car. Because If I drive at like 6/10ths I'm fine, temps are great. It's just when I really hammer on the car lap after lap after lap it can't keep up. If it's raining at all we're sitting at thermostat temp all day long. The corvettes are the same thing, they are designed a street car first, they work on the street, but nothing is sized for sustained track use.

I probably need to get a couple temperature sensors into my cooling system so I can confirm exactly what is happening. Right now I'm just using the OEM sensor reporting through OBD. I need a sensor on the radiator inlet and outlet to confirm that there is or isn't a limitation there. Otherwise I'm just chasing my tail through guess and check.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

Removing the air to air wont change your overheating issues.   The intercooler is not your problem, its ducting, intercooler being too far away from the radiator and or lack of fans.    The air is not that much hotter after it passes through the intercooler and its definitely not hot enough to make any difference in coolant temps.   

Your air to water heat exhanger would need direct airflow infront of the radiator to be effective in removing enough heat.  You will also add pumps, water ,plumbing, the intercooler itself, hot and coldside plumbing wiring, relays, and switches.   Adding 50 lbs, 10 points of failure and you will still have overheating issues.   

An air to air wont heatsoak and the tune will stay the same on lap one vs lap 500.  An air to water will absolutely have different temps and will cause problems with consistency.

hkerekes wrote:

Removing the air to air wont change your overheating issues.   The intercooler is not your problem, its ducting, intercooler being too far away from the radiator and or lack of fans.    The air is not that much hotter after it passes through the intercooler and its definitely not hot enough to make any difference in coolant temps.   

Your air to water heat exhanger would need direct airflow infront of the radiator to be effective in removing enough heat.  You will also add pumps, water ,plumbing, the intercooler itself, hot and coldside plumbing wiring, relays, and switches.   Adding 50 lbs, 10 points of failure and you will still have overheating issues.   

An air to air wont heatsoak and the tune will stay the same on lap one vs lap 500.  An air to water will absolutely have different temps and will cause problems with consistency.

Respectfully, I don't agree with a number of points.

Air to Air systems can heat soak. Subaru guys complain constantly while changing to front mounts. They can recover faster from heat soak yes, but they are not immune to the problem. As with all heat extraction systems it comes down to sizing for the application.

The heat exchanger for a water to air system does not need to be in the bumper. Sized right you can put it anywhere with the right fans and it will be fine.

Water to air is more complex, yes, but let's not pretend it's unreliable. It's a pump and fans, not a ton unreliable there. It's heavier, yes, but if I cared about weight I wouldn't have raced with the huge NAV headunit and full stereo installed, or I would have gone through and cut out all the stupid extra brackets still in the car.

I am not trying to argue that water to air is better in every way, I'm simply weighing it's cons against ways it could help improve the radiator performance.

Let me fully lay out the current setup again, because on paper it should not be bad. The ducting is not perfect, but it's pretty damn good. The bottom of the bumper is sealed to the bottom of the radiator. I have vertical plates cut to match the bumper cavity so air coming though the front openings is directed all the way to the radiator, it cannot escape to the sides. These plates also cover the small gap between the intercooler and radiator. I even have a plate along the top of the air path to make fully sure there is only one sealed path from bumper openings to radiator. Pictures from 2018 when I first did the work. I've improved things after we replaced the oil cooler with a larger one.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/mUA8oqMX6WrLjZBc8

My fans are just ok. They are two 1300CFM spal 12" fans chosen because they were some of the highest flowing fans for the depth requirements we have.  I physically cannot fit a taller fan before they start hitting the turbo (see photo in that album). While I have the car apart to replace the exploded transmission I am going to see if I can modify how they are mounted to lean them more and make more room for fans. I would love to put a stronger fan or two in there, but it requires making space.

We have one hood vent now to try and get hot air out from behind the radiator. There is no direct ducting up to it because the space is so small. If I can lean the radiator I will make a better effort to duct this.

Cat is gone, down pipe is wrapped, turbo has a heat shield that works really well, so I've done most all I can do to limit the engine bay heating the radiator. Car has a tune to specifically address fuel maps and make targets safer. This single item made the largest change of anything we've done. Car went from overheating in 1 lap, to over heating after 30 minutes. Wide band (and fuel consumption) confirms we are in good target regions.

I will also point out that I am the only driver able to overheat the car unless it's a very hot day, then others can. This indicates that there is something about my driving that is making the issue worse. My brother turns similar lap times to me, but claims he never sees temps over ~212. I can get them over 220 if I don't back off. I've never tested to see how high they'll actually go. We are lining up better data logging to compare exactly how I'm driving differently, but I'd like to have a cooling setup that is driver immune.

In short, I'm just plain out of ideas. I can keep iterating on ducting over and over, but I've been doing that for years and the problem persists. I'm kinda tired of spending my stint getting to go 2 laps full speed 5 laps 3/4 speed.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

Can you put the fans in front so that you can fit a bigger radiator?

Try the air to water, its not widely used in road racing for a reason.     High water temps is a common issue with road race cars, we are still fighting it with a massive griffin radiator and we have no turbo.     The turbo/intercooler are not your problems.

It looks like you need to do is some aeroplane tech. I see you have a duct in front, I would suggest to extend it and seal it. Make it more of a closed sealed box on the sides all way to radiator. On the back side need to add a way for the air to exit into low pressure zone, either through the hood at front, or add a chin at the radiator and let the vacuum pull through the bottom.
This article has some neat stuff in it, I would try to use those principles and see if that helps. https://nasaspeed.news/tech/engine/rock … rinciples/

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

It does sound like you've done your due diligence on trying to keep air going through the radiator!

Pity you couldn't push the radiator forward a few inches to allow for better flow -

--> As a question for the group, above what car speed do fans start making significantly less total air flow?  Surely the fans aren't impeding air flow, but would putting them on the front of the radiator in this tightly-packed area actually improve airflow 10 or 20%?

--> Also, does anyone know how to tell when a water pump is being overdriven?  I'd think that water pressure would rise linearly with engine speed, and if not, then the pump is either cavitating or 'stalling' as water bleeds around the edges of the impeller.  Would throwing a pressure gauge on the water pump output and checking across the RPM range give us any useful info in the garage?

Interested in the result since it's always hard to tell whether overheating is due to not enough air flow or not enough water flow, and since we're lazy and don't have time to test it's almost always bench engineering until it goes ---boom---.

fleming95 wrote:

--> Also, does anyone know how to tell when a water pump is being overdriven?  I'd think that water pressure would rise linearly with engine speed, and if not, then the pump is either cavitating or 'stalling' as water bleeds around the edges of the impeller.  Would throwing a pressure gauge on the water pump output and checking across the RPM range give us any useful info in the garage?

Interested in the result since it's always hard to tell whether overheating is due to not enough air flow or not enough water flow, and since we're lazy and don't have time to test it's almost always bench engineering until it goes ---boom---.

That reminds me, my car has an under drive pulley on the crank. Alternator and water pump spin slower than normal.

hkerekes wrote:

Try the air to water, its not widely used in road racing for a reason.     High water temps is a common issue with road race cars, we are still fighting it with a massive griffin radiator and we have no turbo.     The turbo/intercooler are not your problems.

To be clear, I do not think the intercooler is THE problem. I'm wondering if changing it can be a variable in solving the problem. That's all. Changing up the intercooler setup may aid in improving the airflow through the radiator.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

kakarot1232001 wrote:

It looks like you need to do is some aeroplane tech. I see you have a duct in front, I would suggest to extend it and seal it. Make it more of a closed sealed box on the sides all way to radiator. On the back side need to add a way for the air to exit into low pressure zone, either through the hood at front, or add a chin at the radiator and let the vacuum pull through the bottom.
This article has some neat stuff in it, I would try to use those principles and see if that helps. https://nasaspeed.news/tech/engine/rock … rinciples/

I've long wanted to do this, but it requires major surgery. I do think I'm going to try however. I looked at the car closer tonight, and I THINK I can angle the radiator a bit like that. I think there is enough space to do it. If I can then I can likely get some ducting behind the radiator that directs air more smoothly up to the hood vent. Doing so lets me put larger fans in there too.

For the record I do appreciate suggestions, even if it doesn't sound like it. I'm just frustrated with this issue and tired of chasing it.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon