Topic: Aluminum radiator repair

In my I’ll advised quest for build a V12 Jaguar XJS I scored a very nice used radiator on eBay. It’s made by Wizard cooling and is a very well made direct fit aluminum radiator. Much nicer than the chinesium stuff I was looking at. Of course as soon as I installed it, it leaks under pressure where the right hand tank meets the core. Can’t find a pin hole. Just sort of a bad weep.
My Google-fu has mixed results on of this is repairable or not. The Lemons forums seems to suggest to JB weld all the things. What’s the collective wisdom? Radiator shop? JB weld? Radiator delete and air cooled conversion?

Emily's Power for a Cure 1990 Mazda Miata (I Got Screwed 2014 Southern Discomfort)
Help in the fight against Neuroblastoma, a devastating childhood cancer.
http://emilyspowerforacure.com/

Re: Aluminum radiator repair

I'd try and find the hole and solder it.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

From factory, depending on quality, the end tanks are either brazed/soldered or epoxied. I believe most are epoxied, so you can probably clean it up and flow in a low viscosity epoxy and call it a day (JB weld would probably work but might be a bit too thick). There are radiator repair shops, as well. If it's brazed, lookup aluminum brazing rod, you just need a propane torch and it's used/applied similar to solder. I've also used standard flux and electrical solder on heater cores with success.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

If it were me,I would seek out a radiator shop and have it professionally repaired,while you have time.
Sure,it may cost a bit more,but track time is expensive,and it would suuuuckkk to be sitting in the pits with a leaky radiator while the other kids are out playing.Just my opinion,YMMV,offer void in Kansas,et cetera......

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

As someone that fixes everything myself  I say radiator shop, they have some sweet epoxy and technique... Worth it.

If it must be fixed at home, old school 24hr JB weld has a lower viscosity and flows out nicely, if it needs more, do several coats.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!