Topic: WTB - Race Ready(ish) Car - Midwest

Looking for a car that is race ready, or at least very nearly.

Preferences:
RWD
Manual trans
Passed Lemons Tech in the past

Ideally in the Midwest (Team is based in Iowa).

Absolutely no requirement to be a competitive car, just looking for something to get the team out there to learn the ropes so we can decide if we want to dive into building our own.

2 (edited by Klayfish 2022-06-15 12:39 PM)

Re: WTB - Race Ready(ish) Car - Midwest

Not trying to steal OPs thunder, but I am also in this same boat, so am also interested in a race ready car.  I'm coming at it from a bit of a different angle though.  I've been running Lemons for 11 seasons.  However, I am an "arrive and drive".  I live in Atlanta and the car is in New Jersey.  I would like to keep a car down south, so I can get my wife and son into Lemons, as well as have my northern teammates come race down south.  However, the one thing I am NOT is a mechanic.  I have very limited skills and time, so I want a car recently raced and race ready.  I will find someone with mechanical ability to join the team, as well as having a local shop I'm friends with who can help me maintain it between races. 

Having said that, the "simpler" the car, the better.  A car with easy and cheap parts availability, not hard to work on.  Of course, the less expensive the better too.

Three Pedal Mafia

3 (edited by bezimmer 2022-06-16 08:37 AM)

I have something you might be interested in. I have emailed you my phone number to talk about what I have. All it needs to pass tech is the suppression bottle re-certified. It meets your criteria and is located in Southern WI.

The RichVS Checker is this car.

This one checks all the boxes...except location

https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=40765

e8r23i80c wrote:

This one checks all the boxes...except location

Really does, we've exchanged emails but gas prices have got to go WAY down before I'm shopping Cali.

The checker is interesting, but a bit more car than we wanted.

Plan is to look at Zimmer's ride next weekend to see if my 6'3" teammate fits.

I figured I'd jump on this post for the sake of my team. Similar situation here

We are a new team, and figured the best way to get started was with a car already built that has run and we know works. We are in Michigan, but can travel (within reason, so...not Cali). Don't need a podium car, but something that runs and can get us on track ASAP, if some assembly required we're happy to do that.

I appreciate any leads anybody has.

TIA

You guys have the right idea. Pick up a car for sale and race ready from one of the coasts and have it shipped. If you can get everything done for under $6-7k you're doing pretty well.

Captain of AFART Racing - 1987 and 1988 Toyota Supras
Captain of McDads/AFART Racing -1977 Lancia Scorpion (IOE Winner Sears Pointless 2021... wait, really?? YES, REALLY!!).
Captain of 42 Hours of MeLons (2013-14) - Vattenmelon Vagn 1984 Volvo 240, B-Class Winner: Arse-Freeze 2014

Someone buy this: https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=40619

I'm planning on driving from Cali to the midwest this summer and could do the delivery ... for a cost.

Captain of AFART Racing - 1987 and 1988 Toyota Supras
Captain of McDads/AFART Racing -1977 Lancia Scorpion (IOE Winner Sears Pointless 2021... wait, really?? YES, REALLY!!).
Captain of 42 Hours of MeLons (2013-14) - Vattenmelon Vagn 1984 Volvo 240, B-Class Winner: Arse-Freeze 2014

I saw that post actually. Do we know anything about it? Does it have a running engine? It’s a far distance but sounded like a good build (depending on the state it’s in).

The description indicates:  _two_ running engines

... _and_ a trailer

That's a weekend of driving for you

This is a car you all should be considering. Fish and company campaigned it on West Coast. Well-built. Fast. Fun. Easy to operate. Brown. Pinto. Wagon.
https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=40836