Topic: '72 MGB: anything worth anything?

My mistake. Thinking this got crunched while running, and is now too bent even for Lemons.

What's missing on the top of the engine?

https://i.postimg.cc/mgDy0zgZ/20220913-185320.jpg

Going to try to pull the drivetrain, remove body panels, lights, and dash, and then scrap the rest.

What should I be sure to take?

Re: '72 MGB: anything worth anything?

Worth anything? I've been to British car swap meets and most British Car Guys have 15 of everything already. They'll give you a token few bucks for any good body panels, seats, etc, but don't expect to make more than a few hundred bucks parting it out. The powertrain is worth a couple hundred bucks, maybe another hundred or so if it's overdrive?

The best plan is to buy a Lemons Miata with a blown engine and put this engine and transmission in it. Class C Miata, voila, and a car I've wanted to see in Lemons for years.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:

Worth anything? I've been to British car swap meets and most British Car Guys have 15 of everything already. They'll give you a token few bucks for any good body panels, seats, etc, but don't expect to make more than a few hundred bucks parting it out. The powertrain is worth a couple hundred bucks, maybe another hundred or so if it's overdrive?

The best plan is to buy a Lemons Miata with a blown engine and put this engine and transmission in it. Class C Miata, voila, and a car I've wanted to see in Lemons for years.

IOE contention?

Who would use overdrive in racing?

And when I finally finish a car, I won't give a fig what class it's in, or how many penalty laps it gets.

For me, it'll either be win the IOE, or I'll get a patch (that's my second place trophy).

Either way, I want to be on the track as much as possible ('cuz I'm not good at fixing things quickly), and I really don't care how fast I go. I just want to turn laps and not hit anything.

I'm certainly not putting this in my Miata, it's still PA inspected (that was actually a purchase I intended to resell to my nephew, but he says it's uncomfortable for him as his legs are too long. I think he misses his GT-R), so right now it's my daily. Though I really don't need it. I'm second owner and just got it a year ago. I haven't "exercised" it (I'm pretty sure it hasn't gone over 4.5k rpms since I've had it) because I haven't looked at the timing belt and the tires are older, hard, and don't stick too well. It's cute, but tiny, and I'm mid-sized. ANYway, Miata is really the easy button, no matter what's powering it, isn't it?

But I might surprise.

This (MT) would be a relatively simple swap from an engine control standpoint, into almost anything RWD, wouldn't it? It still has the coil. How hard could it be?

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

Actually (for TR4's anyway), you'll find Laycock A-type overdrives in almost all the race cars.  Why?  Because you get essentially a 7 speed gearbox behind an engine that doesn't make power in a relatively wide power band.  The OD can't handle the torque in 1st so it's locked out which is why it's 7, not 8 speeds.  I presume the racing MGBs do the same.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Wait, you're not in this series to make good decisions, are you?

Besides, is there really such a thing as an MGB that's too bent even for Lemons?

(1) Before enthusiastic application of a hammer:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2659/4209251621_02f30e4248_b.jpg

(2) After enthusiastic application of a hammer:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2737/4210014490_a068a39986_b.jpg

Pete didn't even have to repaint it.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

therood wrote:

...most British Car Guys have 15 of everything already.

True, but frequently that's because the first fourteen are worn out and/or broken in exactly the same way and the fifteenth is the slightly less problematic "good one" that we hope we'll never have to actually use.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

cheseroo wrote:

Actually (for TR4's anyway), you'll find Laycock A-type overdrives in almost all the race cars.  [snip]  I presume the racing MGBs do the same.

My original draft of the line (above) was "... in Lemons." And I don't consider how _I_ drive to be "racing". I'm in this to do the build, and then drive it on the track.

Come to think about it, perhaps if I'm driving my car, maybe I _will_ race.

I hadn't considered the similarity to my '80s Colt(s) with the twin-stick tranny; I did use them like you suggest.

8 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2022-09-14 09:47 PM)

mharrell wrote:

Wait, you're not in this series to make good decisions, are you?

Besides, is there really such a thing as an MGB that's too bent even for Lemons?

(1) Before enthusiastic application of a hammer:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2659/4209251621_02f30e4248_b.jpg

[snip]

////////

I'll see your " 'front-end damage', roll-cage-reinforced race car^...

... and I'll raise you a T-boned classic, inspected, weekend convertible (look at the bottom of the gap between the front fender and door):

https://i.postimg.cc/pd3CQWxW/20220913-185510.jpg

And another view:

https://i.postimg.cc/gc8SDZnf/20220913-185656.jpg

Were these bodies cold soldered together? Or are these just the $#?++-/est repairs I've seen in a long time?