Topic: Can we run a different OE fuel tank?

Our '96 Impreza came with a pretty small tank, and we are looking into fuel cells. It looks like quite the headache and pretty expensive to go to a fuel cell.

A 2000 Impreza 2.5rs has the same chassis as us, but comes with a larger fuel tank. Everything swaps over cleanly, and would definitely LOOK stock to a casual observer.

Could we swap over to another OE tank, or are we stuck going to a fuel cell?

Re: Can we run a different OE fuel tank?

OE means that it was original equipment for the car in question, so you need either a 1996 Impreza fuel tank or a proper fuel cell. If the tech inspectors notice the swap, they will not engage in engineering arguments over whether a different year of Impreza with a different tank design is effectively the same car or whether there's something, perhaps even something not immediately obvious, that would make such a swap a bad idea. They'll just say no.

Fuel cells are indeed an expensive headache, as you've already concluded, so please think very carefully about whether it would be worth it. Is the stock tank really that bad?

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

3 (edited by traviswolfe 2022-10-20 08:39 PM)

mharrell wrote:

OE means that it was original equipment for the car in question, so you need either a 1996 Impreza fuel tank or a proper fuel cell.

Ok, makes sense. How about a different trim level for the same car? We have a 1996 Impreza Brighton (base trim level) - would we be able to use a tank out of a 1996 Impreza L/LX/Outback trim level?

mharrell wrote:

Fuel cells are indeed an expensive headache, as you've already concluded, so please think very carefully about whether it would be worth it. Is the stock tank really that bad?

We may end up keeping it, but exploring the options while trying to remain within the rules!

There may be teams that have done what you describe.  I don't know if it is legal or not.  Like mharrell describes above, if it is not legal and you get caught by a judge, you may not get to race that weekend. If you want a definitive answer, detail what you want to do and send it to the head of tech John Pagel.  His email address is listed at the top of the page under contacts.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

You're on the right path: Max out what you can do with a stock tank before you even start to worry about capacity. There are A LOT of things to sort before you get there.

Long version: There is no safe middle ground in Lemons assessment. The second you start monkeying with OEM fuel stuff, you introduce a new and almost categorically unsafe variable (you). We trust Lemons people in a lot of things, but tinkering with the primary fire-causing component of a car is not generally one of them we take lightly. Go ahead and ask Pagel; he might agree, though I suspect the answer is officially a no.

Ultimately, we know people drop fuel tanks to get years of gunk out or to replace pumps or a variety of other things. The fuel system is budget-free upstream of the injectors...if you have to take the tank out, look over every part of the system—fittings, hoses, high-pressue lines, filters, etc.—and replace things that need replacing with high-quality parts, do it right, and don't half-ass it.

Edit to add: That last paragraph is NOT an endorsement of swapping out bigger tanks. It is a word of general advice for anyone who has to drop a fuel tank to fix their crapcan. Please, please do not f*** with your fuel system unnecessarily.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

I had a fuel system leak once.  I was black flagged and was given exactly one chance to fix it.  I was told if they saw me again for fuel the car was done for the race.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Got a response from John Pagel:

On Fri, Oct 21, 2022 at 1:17 PM John Pagel <pagel@24hoursoflemons.com> wrote:
If it's a stock tank, installed with stock hardware and all the hoses mount in the stock location it's legal. If you have to use anything that's not stock to install it, it's not legal.

John

Makes it sound like as long as I'm using a 100% OE tank, hardware, fuel lines, vents, etc, it's ok to run a tank from a different trim level?

traviswolfe wrote:

Got a response from John Pagel:

On Fri, Oct 21, 2022 at 1:17 PM John Pagel <pagel@24hoursoflemons.com> wrote:
If it's a stock tank, installed with stock hardware and all the hoses mount in the stock location it's legal. If you have to use anything that's not stock to install it, it's not legal.

John

Makes it sound like as long as I'm using a 100% OE tank, hardware, fuel lines, vents, etc, it's ok to run a tank from a different trim level?

I interpret that as him not wanting to exclusively say yes because he doesn't really believe that everything will be 100% bolt in. I'd also like to believe that when you do this, some hoses may sit closer to abrasion things and hot things, and chafing may be a concern, but I also know nothing about Subarus. In other words, this is in a huge grey area. If this was really THAT bolt in, I would argue that you might as well do it and it'll never get caught in tech and it'll never be a concern. If you have any doubt at all... I mean ANY... that it isn't safe, this is not the series to risk injury for a marginally better placement. If your new to the series, adding a few more gallons to your fuel tank is not going to be your limiting factor. We've run 5 or 6 races and have a reliable car, but we are probably another 20 races away from our fuel tank being our limiting factor.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i