Topic: Is the answer always Miata? Even in Lemons?

Summary of the question at the bottom for those who don’t feel like reading all the fluff.

I’m looking for some advice on something that would never even be a question anywhere but Lemons. Over a year ago I acquired a 1996 Miata for $500 after a coworker crashed it into a tree (among many other similar drunken incidents). I spent maybe $50 replacing the bent tie rod and the clutch master cylinder that kept leaking down and was left with a running and driving Miata.
After a bit of thinking, I remembered hearing that there was a racing series for $500 cars (why I’m here lol) and I had friends that would be all over this idea. Realizing quickly that Miatas don’t get treated very favorably by the judges, we got in touch with a friend of a friend who was 2jz swapping a 1980 rx7 and offered us everything he didn’t need for $.05 on the condition hat we use the parts for a rotary swapped Miata...

For roughly the last year we were pretty much decided that we would proceed with a rotary swap to get us over the boring threshold into proper Lemons territory, until I bought a 2002 Subaru Outback as a parts car to manual swap my daily driver outback. I pitched the idea to my friends and we reached a 2/3 agreement that we should rotary swap the piece of junk Subaru (net cost of $0 right now) and sell the Miata for a profit. The only reason this is even a question is because we have one out of three potential team members who insists we should race the Miata... because... miata...

TL;DR Does a sketchy rotary swap make a crusty Miata Lemons worthy enough to not draw unwanted attention in the form of penalty laps or higher classing? Or should we go even farther out of our way to rotary swap a more unsuspecting, slower car? I think we would have a great time no matter what car we built, so the question is mainly which car would get the most positive reception (ie judges looking the other way when we might have spent a few more dollars than claimed to make the engine run)

Re: Is the answer always Miata? Even in Lemons?

I don't know where you are located, but every Lemons race in California has a ton of Miatas.  The recent field at Buttonwillow was over 10% Miatas.  B Class winner was a NB Miata.  If you bring a race-prepped Miata, I would guess you would get A with maybe some laps.  If you bring a NA 1.6 stock clapped out Miata I would guess you would get B class.

Would the judges love a rotary swapped Miata, probably.  But the entire idea of racing a Miata is its an easy button, why would you want to create more headaches for yourself?

Rotary swapping a Subaru? A stock Outback I would guess as B or C class, putting a rotary in it would change it from meh to hopeless.

Organizers and judges would love for you to bring the Outback. Just bring what you want to race and have fun.  If you think it is cheaty, have a great theme and look hopeless.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

There are several judges on this message board.  chaase is one, our grand poobah Eric Rood is here, I am also one.  Let me take a stab at addressing the topics you brought up.

First, the $500 rule does not apply to anything safety related.  Also, we recognize that actual $500 cars are getting difficult to find.  If you bring me an old and crusty NA, I'm not going to demand to see receipts.  If you bring me an ND, different story. 

As for Miatae in general, where do you live?  As a very general rule, Miata are class A cars unless you demonstrate you and the car are tragic.  Things like stock and worn out suspension, 600TW tires, crap like that.  Absent that, I'm sticking you in A until you prove me wrong.  At the same time, I'm not going to give you laps, especially your first time out.  Class A with laps is usually only for cars that are stupidly-obviously-over-the-top cheaty and/or cars that have won several prior races.  Bring me a well sorted 1.6 or 1.8 NA and I'll put you in A with zero laps. I have seen some decently nice stock 1.6L Miata as class B on the west coast, but as a rule of thumb you will be A.

A Miata may be considered "boring", just like any flavor of BMW 3 series, but there's a reason you see a shit ton of them.  They are damn good and the easy button.  Want to bring a non-bastardized Miata?  Have it at.  Theme well and we'll welcome you with open arms and a good natured ribbing.  Theme poorly and we'll still welcome you with open arms, but we'll give you a ton of (in fun) shit about hitting the easy button AND being boring.  You still won't get penalty laps.

Wanna rotary swap something?  Fabulous!!!!  I love it.  Overbuild the hell out of it and underdrive the hell out of it.  You don't see many rotary cars in Lemons...for a reason.  Spinning doritos tend to blow up in a blaze of glory at endurance races.  There are some teams that have found a secret sauce to making them live, but most spend a good part of the weekend in the garage swapping an engine.

Regardless, we want you to come join us and have a good time.  That's what this is all about.  As I said, unless you bring us something that is wildly over-the-top cheaty and fast, we aren't going to give you A with laps.  Have a great sense of humor, a great attitude, DRIVE SMART, and theme well.  Even if you bring a plain NA Miata we'll still be happy to have you.

Three Pedal Mafia

Jack of all trades (???) Lemons staff

4 (edited by mazdagoeszoomzoomboom 2022-11-01 05:22 AM)

Ok these responses certainly help a lot. I guess the class A vs lower classing was the main consideration I had, but for noobs like us it would probably not matter either way. This particular Miata is a fairly well running 1.8 with no mods other than a cone air filter from a previous owner. As for the rotary swap being unreliable, we have fairly low expectations from this particular engine, but we are all rotary fans on the team and have 4.1 rx7s between myself and another member. (The 1/10 of an rx7 is everything that can be removed from a parts car hanging on my basement wall lol)
I’ll try to post a picture of the Miata to give a better idea of how crusty it is once I learn the proper way to link pics. It actually cleaned up fairly well, but I think it still has enough “yuck factor” to fit in well.

We are all located on the east coast, within a reasonable distance of western NC, with one potential member just across the SC border.

5 (edited by Klayfish 2022-11-01 06:14 AM)

mazdagoeszoomzoomboom wrote:

Ok these responses certainly help a lot. I guess the class A vs lower classing was the main consideration I had, but for noobs like us it would probably not matter either way.

Precisely.  You're a new team.  I could put you in C0 or A100 and it really doesn't matter.  You're going to be there to learn and most importantly have fun.  We will class the car based on the cars' potential, so if you bring a decent Miata expect to be in A, however it's irrelevant.  You're not going to win, or come close.  The Miata doesn't need to be super crusty to fit in, clean it up as much as you'd like.  As I said, theme it well and have a great attitude.  You'll fit in just fine.

It's awesome you love the rotary.  If you want to use it, do it.  We'd love to see it.  Just have realistic expectations that your odds of spending more time wrenching than driving are MUCH higher than if you have a conventional piston engine.  The RX7 chassis makes for a great race car.  What generation(s) do you have?  My team has an FC with a 3.8L GM V6 swap.  It just won overall this past weekend, its second win this year.

Three Pedal Mafia

Jack of all trades (???) Lemons staff

Users may post pics after their second post.

I created an account (so as to control the pics after uploading) at:

postimages.org,

and use: 'Hotlinks for Forums'

I have an FB with an efi conversion for my part time daily driver, for the last year I’ve been driving it about six months out of the year while I was rotating major upgrades/repairs between the FB and my daily driver subaru. I also have an FC convertible, which was my first car about seven years ago, and has since gained a 66mm turbo and a very brappy idle from a peripheral port 13b. My friend has two FCs, one totally stripped and quite rough, and one complete but sketchy T2 swapped GXL.

We are all pretty determined to rotary swap something just for the experience of it, and if we do in fact make it to Lemons that’s a huge plus. But if this ends in disaster (not unlikely) we all still intend to have some fun with this whole project.

We are all pretty determined to rotary swap something just for the experience of it, and if we do in fact make it to Lemons that’s a huge plus. But if this ends in disaster (not unlikely) we all still intend to have some fun with this whole project.

Rotary-swapped Cougar XR7 with Dyslexia Areawness theme.

Boom, done.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:

Rotary-swapped Cougar XR7 with Dyslexia Areawness theme.

Boom, done.

That would be great, I used to see those mislisted all the time on Craigslist as RX7s.
Attempting to post pics of the Miata in question now.
https://i.postimg.cc/PPsbXCk4/16-CC75-C3-43-B3-4-D9-F-AC55-87-BBD0-B2-BA6-B.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/0KgSyBhQ/EB143-EDC-4-F19-48-BA-ABF3-6-F268-D5-F2-DAC.jpg

I guess I'm qualified to chime in here.  We've had an RX7 in Lemons since 2010 or so.  I've lost count of the number of engines we've gone through. Well into the 2 digit range.   I carried a spare that was identical and complete down to the wire harness to all races and often came home with both blown up.  A lot of it was self inflicted due to trying to stay within the Lemons spirit and doing rebuilds on the cheap (i.e. reusing a lot of seals and not lapping the irons).  We've played whack-a-mole eliminating possible coolant leak areas then we had oil consumption problems caused by used parts.  To rebuild one properly these days is $2-3k+ in parts and machining.  That's assuming you have a rebuildable core and you are doing all your own work.  Prices on good used irons/housings have skyrocketed.  And with speed creep, you need to port the hell out of it to keep up with the Jones' in class A.  I gave up and sold my last blown up engine for more money than it cost to buy a complete donor car with a V6 that's going into the RX7.  I just need to find the time to finish it.  I think that should speak volumes as to where the cost of rotary stuff is headed if you can sell blown up stuff for far more than running complete cars. 

But if you do decide to go rotary, I suggest you stay bone stock.  Replace all coolant lines, cap off the heater hoses.  Go overboard with water and oil cooling.  Rotaries are cooled more through the oil than water but you definitely need both.  The are pretty much binary, either they run or you need the engine hoist.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

(Rotaries) are pretty much binary, either they run or you need the engine hoist.

Wow. Talk about long story short.

Low Road Racing:  Stylemaster/Mustang II/Sunbird/Spirit AMX

We will not compromise our morals and build anything but a class C car.
"You take the high road, we'll take the low."

I’m glad to hear from somebody who has tried using a rotary before, even if the results were not that great. As I totally ignore your very sound and time tested advice cheseroo (I’m a bit hard headed lol), how does that play into the budget if an engine blows up and needs to be rebuilt or replaced? Does it count into the budget, or is it just the kind of thing that you fix in the Lemons spirit and get back to the fun ASAP?

I’m fairly sure the rules didn’t specify such things, but it’s been a while since I read through them.
We are also all too aware of the recent eye watering costs for hard parts on rotary engines these days. It’s even worse for 12as since they’re so much longer out of production. I’ve been snatching up every cheap core I come across, but this block we were basically given is the most promising of all. The fairly low standard being that it has compression on one rotor, so might be rebuildable and not rusted up.

No one cares how much you put into your rotary.  About the only engine inspection has been them opening the hood asking "still rotary?, yup, slam".  Don't get me wrong, you can make them last.  I just wasn't willing to spend the money needed to make a modified one last.  Once I got away from stock porting is when I ran into thermal management issues and reliability went into the toilet.  But fast is fun, yo.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

No one cares how much you put into your rotary.  About the only engine inspection has been them opening the hood asking "still rotary?, yup, slam".

Good to hear. We didn’t plan to spend too much money on this, but if nobody is cares about it we might splurge for some fresh but cheap apex seals and new-ish seal springs from our stack of junk we don’t care to use in any decent engines.

15 (edited by rb92673 2022-11-02 07:13 AM)

Also if you blow up, the only care they have about finding a second engine is how sketchy of a deal you make to get it.  Did you steal it out of your team mates daughters daily driver? Did you see a car in front of a crack house and knock on the door? They love that stuff for their wrap up videos.

The smart move is to bring a whole spare parts car.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Ironically, there are no photos I know of with the engine setup on Lemons' first FD, but the special guys who built this car found it fried to a crisp, built a completely ridiculous engine for it with a giant eBay turbo, dyno'd it at 400+ to the wheels, asked for and got 2,000,007 penalty laps, set fast lap of the weekend, and shot the cheap impeller through the turbo housing for good measure. That race ended early because of ice on the track, but they showed up in good form for the trophies.

https://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LECR14/075%20-%202014%20North%20Dallas%20Hooptie%2024%20Hours%20of%20LeMons%20-%20IMG_4100.jpg

https://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LECR14/074%20-%202014%20North%20Dallas%20Hooptie%2024%20Hours%20of%20LeMons%20-%20IMG_4099.jpg

https://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LECR14/639%20-%202014%20North%20Dallas%20Hooptie%2024%20Hours%20of%20LeMons%20-%20IMG_4274.jpg

This is it before the giant turbo, I think:

https://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LECR13/008-UG-North_Dallas_Hooptie_2013.jpg

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

That FD is exactly why I was asking these questions

18 (edited by mazdagoeszoomzoomboom 2022-11-02 11:30 AM)

Edit: I guess using the refresh button when an error message pops up is a bad idea lol. And of course it only kept the first line of the post too.

I think that's exactly why you were asking these questions.

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

It doesn't matter how crusty your miata is.... your generally bound to A class. Our miata chassis is banana shaped from a passenger side t-bone and we'll never get into B class. A rotary swap will probably get you into B but I don't see why you would... there's so many cheap cars out there that are already crappy.

As kinda touched upon, it depends on your goals. Want to drive, stay out there, and have fun? Run the miata and leave it stock. Want to race in Lemons spirit? Flip the miata and use that money to help launch your team. We did a couple fix and flips to help fund our startup costs for the team... they add up quick and NA miatas are worth may more than they should be right now and would be a great financial start.

Sit down with your team and have a serious discussion on what you want out of a weekend. We went with a miata because everyone on our team has miatas, we are in love with how they drive, and we really really like our seat time. We don't care about winning, but we wanted something that is reliable and we knew we could fix quickly to keep us out on track. If you wanted the full Lemons experience, cleanup that NA, sell it, and fund the rabbit hole of running a Subaru. it sounds like you have a choice between the Lemons A class experience or C class experience. Theres no wrong answer here.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

That FD was from the TX team that also brought an RX2 (which they rolled), an FC with a generator/window AC, same FC with an exhaust heat powered moonshine still and my favorite was the pie pan sized boost gauge facing backwards on the rear quarter panel so that you could see how much boost they were pulling as they passed you.  I love those guys.

Gone bye-bye

duthehustle93 wrote:

As kinda touched upon, it depends on your goals. Want to drive, stay out there, and have fun? Run the miata and leave it stock. Want to race in Lemons spirit? Flip the miata and use that money to help launch your team. We did a couple fix and flips to help fund our startup costs for the team... they add up quick and NA miatas are worth may more than they should be right now and would be a great financial start.

If you wanted the full Lemons experience, cleanup that NA, sell it, and fund the rabbit hole of running a Subaru. it sounds like you have a choice between the Lemons A class experience or C class experience. Theres no wrong answer here.

I think that pretty well sums up our connundrum for the team. Two of us would rather have a C class hooptie, and honestly don’t greatly care about even finishing the race as long as we have a good time. But we do have the one mutual friend who is a bit more competitive and insists we should race the Miata because, well it’s a Miata. I was kind of trying to make a case either way with the responses here, so we can decide how valid his argument is before overruling him or deciding to race the Miata.

My personal style is to find the crappiest, most unsuspecting car, and then build it as a sleeper. The Miata kind of meets that criteria on the street, but at a Lemons race it feels like even the most outrageous Miata falls a bit flat.

Side note: I’m not sure what I did exactly to make the site mess up so badly on the “thinking about the fd” chain, but some sort of punctuation at the end of my first sentence absolutely broke the internet lol. I was trying to say something to the tune of, “That fd was what made me worried about the engine budget, because we don’t want to spend the next decade trying to make it to lap zero”