Re: Old school vs new school for newbs?

Nobunaga wrote:

Hey everyone. First post here.

I’m planning on getting a team together for the ‘24 season. I plan on trying some arrive and drive events before actually fielding our team. We’re located in Carrollton GA, west of Atlanta. I grew up around Helen Georgia and cut my teeth on mountain roads and SCCA autocross. Now called Solo something something. I’ve got almost 11 years of sobriety and have to spend my money on something other than alcohol. (Unless it’s E85!)

So right now we’re all excited about finding a shitty beater to serve as the main source of frustrations for the foreseeable future. I’m kinda split between finding something newer vs running some older iron. The concern I have with newer cars is the electronics. Specifically relays, wiring, engine management. The concern with older iron is handling, reliability, and lack of power. Unless we “find” that elusive 555 motor that fell off the back of the truck.

Specifically, rn our targets are a ‘87 Dodge Daytona Z, a ‘02 Neon, a 77 Grandprix, and a ‘72 marquis with a 429.

Any suggestions as far as what would be best for a team of guys with varying levels of wrenching skill?

Thanks, and I appreciate y’all’s time.

I'm an old school guy, I find the older cars easier to work on, but parts can be hard to find. The 77 GP is a huge car as is the 72 Merc. Both would sweet to see on the track. but I'd think the Neon would be best bang for the buck. If it were me, I'd go with the 77 GP. You can do a lot w/ a small block chevy to make power and parts for it would be very expensive.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"