Topic: Snell 2015 Helmet Eligibility

Any idea when the Snell 2015 helmet will no longer pass Lemons tech?  Just curious if they'll be updating the rules any time soon.  Thanks.

Re: Snell 2015 Helmet Eligibility

Helmets are legal for 10 years. That excludes damage, of course. If they get damaged they should be replaced. Or even if you crash but don't appear to have damaged the helmet. it is advised to get a new helmet.

I would say it differently.  Helmets are typically good for 10 years from when they are first released.  If you bought a SA2010 helmet in 2019, you would only have gotten about 2 years use out of it.  If you bought the same helmet in 2010, you could get about 10 years out of it.

SA2015 helmets will probably get phased out when SA2025 helmets are readily available.  In the past Lemons gave about a 1 year notice.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

rb92673 wrote:

I would say it differently.  Helmets are typically good for 10 years from when they are first released.  If you bought a SA2010 helmet in 2019, you would only have gotten about 2 years use out of it.  If you bought the same helmet in 2010, you could get about 10 years out of it.

SA2015 helmets will probably get phased out when SA2025 helmets are readily available.  In the past Lemons gave about a 1 year notice.

For some reason supply chain always seems to lag at new helmet-certification years, so there's usually a grace period of necessity while we wait for the manufacturers to get their crap together. Maybe it takes Snell ages to finish the certs, I dunno, but if you have a 2015 helmet right now, it's good for at least two more seasons.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com