Topic: Setting up Thunderhill (and a few other tracks) in Assetto Corsa

I wasn't sure which forum to post this in. I'm posting this primarily for people getting ready for the upcoming backwards-Thunderhill race, though, so I figured I'd post it here.

First off, Assetto Corsa is great because of all of the user-generated content that is out there; but the user-friendliness leaves a bit to be desired. Quite frankly, it's a bit of a pain in the ass. But, this is the only way I know of currently to get practice laps in at tracks like Thunderhill, Buttonwillow, The Ridge, etc. And I'd rather deal with the pain of getting these things set up for practice at home, than deal with the pain of going out onto a track completely cold.

So with that said, here are the simplest sequence of steps to get you started if you want to load user-generated content, once you already have the sim rig and computer and everything up and running. Note: with these steps, the graphics on the tracks will be mediocre at best, but this is the easiest path:

1. Download and install Assetto Corsa. I got it from Steam, but it's probably available elsewhere, too: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2442 … tto_Corsa/

2. Download and install Content Manager. This adds a ton of extra functionality to Assetto Corsa: https://assettocorsa.club/content-manager.html

3. Find the "extension" folder in the Assetto Corsa files on your computer. Look at the list of sub-folders at the very top of this image to find the "extension" folder.

4. Drag that "extension" folder to your desktop. This removes it from your Assetto Corsa files, which is what you want. However, with it on your desktop, you can always put it back if you need to.

5. Become a member of Patreon and support this dude who is creating tons of great tracks: https://www.patreon.com/nukedrop/posts

6. Then, go through his posts to find your desired track. In each post you will find a Google Drive link, you can use this to download a zip file of the track relevant to the post.

7. Open Content Manager (that you downloaded in step 2 above).

8. Drag the track zip folder you downloaded onto the Content Manager Window, then press on the little three lines in the top right. You should then see the track eventually show up in the menu, then press install.

You may need to restart your computer after doing these steps. Then you should be able to load your new track(s) in the game and practice!

You can also do a slightly more complex set of steps to get all of the graphics working correctly. Those steps are explained in the top post of that guys Patreon page. I decided to not list those out here, so this is just the simplest possible set of steps.

Good luck!

Re: Setting up Thunderhill (and a few other tracks) in Assetto Corsa

I just got AC running to start learning Road America for October. Didn't know about nukedrop's tracks, cool resource.

Do you have favorite lemons-tier cars to drive on the tracks? I've been using the Chevrolet Monza 500E.F. on Race Department as a stand-in for the focus wagon we're planning on racing.

3 (edited by kornfeld 2023-02-02 11:19 AM)

Just speaking for myself: my approach is to go for variety, so that I'm training myself to learn, as opposed to training to drive the track with a particular type of car. That way, when I get to the track, I'm ready to learn the track with the car that I have that day, as opposed to trying to match what happened in the simulator.

I like driving the NA Miata, because it has almost no power and garbage tires; I like driving one of the lotuses, because they have gobs of power and great tires and weigh next to nothing; I like driving one of the street corvettes because they have way too much power for their tires; etc.

With all of the cars, you're learning the general path around the track, but with a wide variety of cars you can start to learn places that you might be able to take flat out, or places where you have to be hard on the brakes no matter what, etc

And on iRacing, the Mustang FR500S is basically the only car I ever drive.