Topic: Need Help Understanding Helmets & HANS device

Good afternoon,

My buddies and I are new to racing (in general), and we are currently trying to figure out what type of helmet and compatible safety equipment we need to buy. We saw that the rules recommend a Snell SA2020 helmet and also a HANS device?

Could someone help us figure out what the difference between these two helmets, because they both say they are composite shells? Is one more of a reputable brand than the other? Or are we looking at the wrong type of helmet.
www. amazon.com/RaceQuip-Helmet-SA2020-X-Large-276116/dp/B08DL9HF28
VS
www. summitracing.com/parts/gfr-13004xlgwh

Also, my understanding is that the HANS device comes with straps to connect to the helmet, so does that mean we need to buy a Helmet with the screw holes pre-made or make the holes ourselves? Myself and one of my friends will probably get an XL-size helmet, while the other two are probably Medium, so does that mean we need two different HANS devices so they fit?

All help is greatly appreciated! Thanks
*Sorry about the space in the url. I couldn't add the url, since this is my first post.*

Re: Need Help Understanding Helmets & HANS device

There are quite a few different SA2020 helmets out there and choosing one is often a matter of personal preference involving such matters as the shape of one's head, as different manufacturers will have different interpretations of what constitutes a good, generic fit. If at all possible, try wearing a few before making a decision.

As for the head and neck device, all SA2020 (and SA2015) helmets are pre-drilled from the factory. The holes are typically each under a plastic plug on each side of the helmet. Using those holes, you will need to attach whatever mounting hardware is appropriate for the device you choose. Different manufacturers use different mounting hardware (usually not interchangeable) and even different product lines from the same manufacturer are often not the same. A single device will generally work across a wide range of helmet sizes, though. By the way, you'll want a set of mounting hardware for each helmet, but at least those pieces aren't expensive.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Thanks for the quick response. I'll be sure to find a store nearby where I can try a few of these helmets.
Ok, I saw these metal buttons on some helmets that other helmets didn't have that I'm guessing are the mounting hardware you're talking about. I saw one video where someone had to drill the holes for it, but I'm guessing that must have had an older helmet without those holes pre-drilled..

I'll make sure to get the hardware that matches the holes in the helmet I choose. Also, good to know that we can share the HANS device, because that was more expensive than some of the helmets I found.
Thanks!

For a new team you can share one HANS device, you will just need each helmet to have it's own set of HANS mounts.  SA2020 helmets have the holes and threaded inserts already installed.  Popular head and neck system choices are HANS brand, Necksgen and Zamp.  We got by for years with a single HANS III in large for our large and small drivers.

I don't recommend sharing helmets.  The Lemons driver kits in the store are a pretty good value that will get you what you need to get started.   

https://www.raceimage.com/ has high quality used racing suits as well.

Beware counterfeit stuff. Buy only from reputable sources, beware of eBay or FB marketplace.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

5 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2023-03-22 04:07 PM)

There's an extensive discussion about helmets (mostly me) here, and by others there.