Topic: New team with a 1999 Crown Vic looking for advice

I and some friends of mine have purchased a 1999 Crown Vic p71 and we are looking for advice on what oils work well for endurance racing in the 4.6 what differential fluids do people use for these vehicles any advice on this platform is greatly welcomed
We're good at wrenching we're new at racing
Also questions about the $500 limit does paint and graphics for a theme fall within that limit?

We are also in the Virginia Williamsburg / Surry area if there are any local Lemons around

Re: New team with a 1999 Crown Vic looking for advice

Fox 13 wrote:

I and some friends of mine have purchased a 1999 Crown Vic p71 and we are looking for advice on what oils work well for endurance racing in the 4.6 what differential fluids do people use for these vehicles any advice on this platform is greatly welcomed
We're good at wrenching we're new at racing
Also questions about the $500 limit does paint and graphics for a theme fall within that limit?

We are also in the Virginia Williamsburg / Surry area if there are any local Lemons around

Can't help you on Crown Vic specific stuff.  I run Rotella with a good filter in my Volvo and change it every race.

Theme stuff is budget exempt as are things listed in section 3 safety and 4.2.1 of the rules.

Nobody is going to really sweat you in a Crown Vic if it is stock.  Make sure your cooling and oiling systems are working well, change the fluids, get great brake pads, check your safety items and go race.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Not crown vic specific, we run a S10 blazer with 4.3L but that isnt that different

I would second the Rotella T6 for the engine.  I have sent in oil samples to Blackstone and has always come back no issues.   We use Lucas Oil High Performance 85-140 gear oil in our trans and diff and wear has been great.

Lessons learned from running a heavy Blazer and Chevy LUV - Get the best front brakes you can afford and don't skimp on the brake pads; Porterfield ST45 have been great for the front.  Pack your front wheel bearings in high temp grease; I recommend Red Line CV-2.  Use high temp brake fluid like Motul 600 or 660 and bleed your brakes every night at the track to keep the fluid in the caliper happy.

1975 Chevy LUV.  1 Corinthians 13:7
1999 Chevy Blazer

4 (edited by DirtyDuc 2023-04-13 09:02 PM)

rb96273 has it right.

I'm local-ish to you down in Newport News.

I am Ford-adjacent, as my family is mostly blue oval and we've done several dumb things before with them (5.4 in an Explorer 4.6). That said, I'm almost entirely metric due to... things? It just worked out that way.

Anyway, available to chat or visit.

Oh yeah, prepping a car for Jersey if any on your team are interested in getting their feet wet.

That guy

Generally speaking... a bit thicker, full synthetic, and whatever is on sale. Don't overthink brands for your shitbox, most engine/diff failure is from oil starvation rather than running supertech instead of amsoil/redline/motul/etc.

Assuming your running an auto, save that money and put it towards a quality ATF+cooler... that's your real weak point.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

Huskar wrote:

Not crown vic specific, we run a S10 blazer with 4.3L but that isnt that different

I would second the Rotella T6 for the engine.  I have sent in oil samples to Blackstone and has always come back no issues.   We use Lucas Oil High Performance 85-140 gear oil in our trans and diff and wear has been great.

Lessons learned from running a heavy Blazer and Chevy LUV - Get the best front brakes you can afford and don't skimp on the brake pads; Porterfield ST45 have been great for the front.  Pack your front wheel bearings in high temp grease; I recommend Red Line CV-2.  Use high temp brake fluid like Motul 600 or 660 and bleed your brakes every night at the track to keep the fluid in the caliper happy.

Do you drain and replace the engine oil in between race days for the weekend or is that Overkill?

Will the brake fluid in the caliper look darker after a day of racing and flush to it gets clear or is it going to not change that much and just couple pumps fresh fluid good?

Replace engine oil after the weekend.  Always check the level when the car is in the garage/paddock even if it is for something quick.

On LUV was a single piston caliper and the fluid would get dark quick.  The Blazer is a dual piston and the fluid doesn't get very dark but I bleed it for a few pumps anyway.

1975 Chevy LUV.  1 Corinthians 13:7
1999 Chevy Blazer

I use ATE TYP 200, much cheaper than Motul, slightly lower boil point.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Huskar wrote:

How often do you replace the fluid in the differential?

10 (edited by Stan in Bham 2023-04-15 11:09 AM)

We use the ATE 200, too, and it works very well for us.  Make sure to fully bleed your brakes (more than just until you get clear fluid) before the first race to get the higher-temp fluid throughout the brake system. 

New oil and filter before every race, usually done a couple of weekends after the last race.  And I agree with "duthehustle", don't overthink/overspend on brands: you're changing oil after every race/a few hundred miles, so anything decent is fine.  The Rotella mentioned above works well for several teams and is pretty cost-effective. We run Mobil-1 from Walmart but are considering moving to Rotella or Delvac. 

If you are running an auto, do use good ATF and an oil cooler. The Crown Vic police cars had a pretty good one, or find a big aftermarket one sized for an F350 towing rig.  Some teams convert the a/c condenser into a transmission cooler, which should give great cooling capacity.