Topic: 3D Printed Polyurethane Engine Mounts?

Has anyone tried printing engine mount bushings with TPU?

This material feels like whatever they make lego tires out of, stretches 2-3x before it tears.
I printed one at 90% density to give a little more flexibility, still took a big mallet to get it in there.

It's a thermoplastic, so there's a transition point somewhere between 200F and 350F where it will crap out.

https://i.imgur.com/ajhzmXj.png

Probably need to throw it in the oven to find out.
If that temp turned out to be on the high side, maybe it would work?

Re: 3D Printed Polyurethane Engine Mounts?

I only 3d printed molds for PU to make that stuff. but yes, quite possible to make final product also

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

3 (edited by duthehustle93 2023-05-22 09:43 AM)

I feel like I would get some home depot PU in a tube and fill the void, or print a mold, before using TPU as a motor mount. I could be mistaken, but I haven't seen TPU being used in many high fatigue, high heat, high cycle applications. I've had a couple TPU phone cases that weren't very durable.

If you wanted to print a finished product... I think nylon might check more boxes in terms of the durability your looking for. I've been shocked by CF+nylon filament in terms of it's ease of printing and strength/durability in an engine bay, but it's $$$$ and would basically be a solid mount with the geometry and infill you would use. Straight nylon wouldn't be as rigid but would also be harder to print I think.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

I also vote to print a mold and cast polyurethane into it. It’s a little more work and you need a vacuum chamber if you really want to do it right, but the end product is a lot better. I got some 70A or 80A casting compound from Smooth-On for a bunch of suspension bushings. It was about $50 for a “sample kit” big enough to do all the bushings I wanted with a ton left over… which is not great because it only lasts a few months or so once you break the seal. I got a second sample kit and I’ll probably make a few of every bushing on the car and the engine mounts out of that one so I have spares before it goes bad.