Topic: 1973 Saab Sonnet, Free to a good home. Aurora, IL

I have a 73 Saab Sonnet that has a Lemons pedigree of general suckiness.  It's competed in a race or two in the past.  It's caged and it has a seat.  The V4 engine is toast but I have a spare engine and a spare transmission along with several other bits and pieces.

I had grand plans to make it something awesome to dominate the midwest but, like all things in Lemons, it's just not happening, mostly because I'm too lazy to work on it.  I already have one functioning (ish) Lemons car and it's just wasteful to leave the Saab sitting in my driveway.

Come get it out of my driveway and you can have it for free.

Fireball Racing - ‘67 Ford Fairlane and ‘73 Saab Sonett

I've lost a lot, but the Fairlane finally won an IoE.

Re: 1973 Saab Sonnet, Free to a good home. Aurora, IL

The judges would LOVE to see this car get another chance. It's traveled far and wide, needs some love, but a Sonnet is an IOE magnet if you can make it run.

This is how it looked 11 years ago. Your results may vary.

https://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LSPS12/LSPS12-UG-1568.jpg

https://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LSPS12/LSPS12-UG-1427.jpg

https://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LSPS12/LSPS12-UG-1424.jpg

https://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LSPS12/LSPS12-UG-1426.jpg

https://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LSPS12/LSPS12-UG-1421.jpg

https://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LSPS12/LSPS12-UG-1417.jpg

https://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LSPS12/LSPS12-UG-1418.jpg

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

chadadams59 wrote:

...I have a spare engine and a spare transmission...

Is this the engine and transmission I gave to Steve at The Ridge in 2016 for this Sonett? I know he took them as far as California but I don't know whether he hauled them any closer to the car than that. If these are indeed those, they're out of my former tow car, itself a 2015 Cd'L trophy winner in the Swedish Meatballs (Pre '74) class. Lemons provenance abounds!

https://live.staticflickr.com/2861/13450695943_3ccef07c0d_z.jpg

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:
chadadams59 wrote:

Is this the engine and transmission I gave to Steve at The Ridge in 2016 for this Sonett?

This is Steve's old car, so I would guess it very, very likely has that Lemons provenance.

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:
mharrell wrote:
chadadams59 wrote:

Is this the engine and transmission I gave to Steve at The Ridge in 2016 for this Sonett?

This is Steve's old car, so I would guess it very, very likely has that Lemons provenance.

Yep.  It's that same engine and trans.  Provenance draining out on my driveway.

i do love a SAAB...
i am in DC
don't know when i can make it all the way out to IL with my tow pig...
keep me in the loop..

This car has huge potential for a K car pass it on!
K it forward. CMon guys lets do this again!!!!!
I'm in!
Manny. (Elmo's Revenge)

I am to be honest fairly interested in this thing.... but IL is a bit far and need to figure out storage.

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

Hello, I and a couple of friends have been following the 24 hours of Lemons for a little bit and have been wanting to try it out, I live over in DownersGrove and was curious about if your car is still available for pickup.
If not no worries,
Thank you

10 (edited by MZAVARIN 2023-05-26 12:05 PM)

that car does have a relatively high "cool" factor, in my book....
I mean, I'd pick driving this over any BMW or Miata...any day....
not sure I would fit....but
I'd go in with Manny....to Saab-it Forward...!!!
or help Yuri spend his retirement on this thing....to bring it out here....
in case there are no other takers.....
its not that far from the East coast....13-17 hour drive

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

I'll regret this, but I'm in for some East coast Saab shenanigans. I just can't keep it. It can pass through for a little while, though.

That guy

MidwesternRacer5 wrote:

Hello, I and a couple of friends have been following the 24 hours of Lemons for a little bit and have been wanting to try it out, I live over in DownersGrove and was curious about if your car is still available for pickup.
If not no worries,
Thank you

It is still available but it will take work to make it race ready.

13 (edited by MidwesternRacer5 2023-05-27 07:30 PM)

Hi, that would be great. Is there a time when I could pick up the car?
Thank you so much

MidwesternRacer5 wrote:

Hi, that would be great. Is there a time when I could pick up the car?
Thank you so much

I emailed you.

This pretty girl is still available.  Who wants it?

chadadams59 wrote:

Everybody. Me. Who wouldn't? And I have 2 too many candidates already, otherwise I'd have been on the road to you yesterday. I've always wanted to drive / own one.

What exactly does it need? Do you just need to commit to working with another person who stops by to help?

Would this be a good candidate for a rotary engine swap? Diesel engine?

What other bad ideas can I toss your way to encourage you to restart work on it and keep it?

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:
chadadams59 wrote:

Everybody. Me. Who wouldn't? And I have 2 too many candidates already, otherwise I'd have been on the road to you yesterday. I've always wanted to drive / own one.

What exactly does it need? Do you just need to commit to working with another person who stops by to help?

What other bad ideas can I toss your way to encourage you to restart work on it and keep it?

Best swap idea: Cologne V6 with the British heads. Should bolt right up and even use the same exhaust manifolds.

That guy

DirtyDuc wrote:

...and even use the same exhaust manifolds.

The Taunus V4 doesn't use exhaust manifolds, as the exhaust routing is integral within the heads, so I'll go ahead and say this is not all that likely.

The Cologne V6 is a popular swap into the SAAB 95/96/97 (97 = Sonett II, V4, and III) among those of us who are convinced that worrying about weight distribution is for suckers and that further overstressing an already overstressed transmission is an excellent idea.

I've still got a bunch of V4 parts if anyone wants to stick with that route.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:
chadadams59 wrote:

It's been sitting for at least 4 years, that I'm aware of, and one of those was outside.  It needs lots of things.  First among them is the engine/trans swap.  Shouldn't be that hard as they are both known good and you could carry the trans around in a stout backpack.

I have had several ideas but I'm confident I'll never get to them nor will I spend the $$ required to do things. My Fairlane keeps me busy and poor enough. 

I was thinking of cutting the sexy part off and putting a Miata underneath it.  The Miata wheelbase is 4 or 5 inches longer so a little fiberglass fab and you'd have a very sweet little car with modern accoutrements, crumple zones and lots of aftermarket parts.  It'd also look really cool to stretch the nose of this thing those few extra inches. 

It's not an issue of ideas or even motivation.  Life and my other car consume my time and money and this one is just sitting around getting older.  I'm confident that I'll never work on it and it'll just sit in my driveway when it should be out racing.

mharrell wrote:
DirtyDuc wrote:

The Taunus V4 doesn't use exhaust manifolds, as the exhaust routing is integral within the heads, so I'll go ahead and say this is not all that likely.

The Cologne V6 is a popular swap into the SAAB 95/96/97 (97 = Sonett II, V4, and III) among those of us who are convinced that worrying about weight distribution is for suckers and that further overstressing an already overstressed transmission is an excellent idea.

I think I read somewhere some time ago something about the British V6 heads having siamesed ports for ease of adding to V4 Rootes? group cars... maybe. Maybe it wasn't the Cologne, maybe it was some other terrible early Ford V6. I dunno. I stopped falling down the Ford rabbit hole a few months back.

That guy

DirtyDuc wrote:
mharrell wrote:
DirtyDuc wrote:

I think I read somewhere some time ago something about the British V6 heads having siamesed ports for ease of adding to V4 Rootes? group cars... maybe. Maybe it wasn't the Cologne, maybe it was some other terrible early Ford V6. I dunno. I stopped falling down the Ford rabbit hole a few months back.

Rootes never made anything with a V4 AFAIK.

Nah, for sweet V4 exhaust note, this one needs one built by Honda. No ST1100, that’s for big bruisers like Ford Fiestas. Sonett with VFR750F power… the one with the gear drive cams, please…

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

I would totally participate in "Saab-it-forward: the ultimate saab story" but I'm on the wrong coast unfortunately.

BSOD Racing, 1987 Fiat X1/9

rozap_ wrote:

I would totally participate in "Saab-it-forward: the ultimate saab story" but I'm on the wrong coast unfortunately.

I got our team's car from California to Ohio. I believe in you...

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

rozap_ wrote:

The jokes write themselves:

The Lemons Saab Story
Saab Sonett Sonnet (written as poetry, obvs) or even The Saab Sonnet.

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cologne_V6_engine

The second-generation Cologne V6 was introduced in 1974. It displaced 2.8 L; 170.4 cu in (2,792 cc) with a bore and stroke of 93.03 mm × 68.5 mm (3.66 in × 2.70 in), and used a geared camshaft design. While based on the 2.6, the larger bore necessitated a different block.[2] The European version used a "siamesed" two-port exhaust manifold, similar to the one used on the V4, while the American version used three-port heads. The European approach was useful in that existing cars with the V4 engine could be upgraded with relative ease. Output was rated at 90 to 115 bhp (67 to 86 kW; 91 to 117 PS) for the US market and 130 to 160 PS (96 to 118 kW; 128 to 158 bhp) for the European market, depending on the model.

That's where I read that.

That guy