Topic: Clothes under the suit

Brand new to Lemons racing, so excuse the ignorance here.

I've been searching around the forum and the rules page and have yet to see anyone talk about what to wear under your suit if you are doing the multi-layer suit. Am I aloud to wear regular Ole boxers and a t shirt, or do I have to wear sfi rated under-roos? I see that the sfi stuff isn't required with a multi-layer suit, but their isn't anything stating what I can wear and I'd rather not go commando and have to deal with butt-cheek soup for 2 whole days.

Thanks for the advice gents

Re: Clothes under the suit

As long as its a multi-layer suit (SFI 3.2A / 5) you can wear anything under it... full nakie, a t-shirt, a raincoat... whatever. The SFI/FIA underwear is only required with single layer suits to supplement the lower fire protection that comes with single layer suits.

With that said, sfi underwear adds more safety, breaths nicely, and helps you wash your suit less... so I'd recommend it, but it's not mandatory.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

Make sure your boxers and t-shirt are 100% cotton. Synthetic materials melt in the heat of a fire, and you wouldn't want to have skin grafts in your no-no spots.

That guy

4 (edited by rb92673 2023-05-31 04:42 PM)

I wear SFI rated gear and/or 100% cotton under my suit, if you race somewhere warm you might want to get a cool shirt too.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

5 (edited by Stan in Bham 2023-05-31 09:14 PM)

If you have a 2 layer suit, look for military surplus Nomex or DriFire underwear (shorts, t-shirts, long johns).  MUCH cheaper than SFI rated racing undies, but won't meet specs for wear under single layer racing suits.  Check Sportsman's Guide online for mil surplus stuff, they carry a lot of Nomex and DriFire (including DriFire sports bras if you have female drivers on your team).

6 (edited by Robb0 2023-07-05 11:40 PM)

DirtyDuc wrote:

Make sure your boxers and t-shirt are 100% cotton. Synthetic materials melt in the heat of a fire, and you wouldn't want to have skin grafts in your no-no spots.

Just thinking about this made me shiver a bit
Solid advice though

If you have a 2 layer suit, look for military surplus Nomex or DriFire underwear (shorts, t-shirts, long johns).  MUCH cheaper than SFI rated racing undies, but won't meet specs for wear under single layer racing suits.  Check Sportsman's Guide online for mil surplus stuff, they carry a lot of Nomex and DriFire (including DriFire sports bras if you have female drivers on your team).

How much cheaper we talking if you know numbers from the top of your head? I can probably get a cheap set of whatever clothes from local sports store for ~70-80$.

That ^ was easy enough:

SFI 3.3 ~$127/set + meets requirements
DriFire ~ $  27/set + doesn't

If you do feel the need to wear something under the suit/nomex, CarbonX is super comfy and feels nicer against the skin than cotton.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Stan in Bham wrote:

(including DriFire sports bras if you have female drivers on your team).

Or robustly sized men that hate chafing...

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

Stan in Bham wrote:

If you have a 2 layer suit, look for military surplus Nomex or DriFire underwear (shorts, t-shirts, long johns).  .

This is an awesome idea I wish I knew about earlier.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i