1 (edited by shrimpandboots 2009-06-11 08:48 AM)

Topic: Our first race experience (New Orleans)

One last thank you from the Piranha and Shrimp Boots teams. It has been very interesting reading all of the posts and I hope that everyone had a good time. I want to thank all of you for allowing us to have a good time. Sorry to those that may have been kept awake with the karaoke. I did try to end it at a reasonable time.

All the guys have been talking about is how to make the cars better and when can we go racing again. This was the first time any of the 9 drivers on the teams have ever sat in a race car (if you want to call it that). We had to keep reminding each other what the flags meant. We are truly amateurs. It was a great experience building the roll cages from scratch, ordering the suits, helmets, etc. We had no idea what we were doing. I can’t believe we passed tech. the first time. We only had one suit, helmet, shoes, and pair of gloves per car. We had to find someone from another team to hold the fire ext. while the driver fueled the car.

Our cars were truly Lemons. One of them we got for free and only had to put a starter on it. That’s all; nothing else was done to it. The other one was bought in New Orleans for a couple of hundred dollars from some drunk guys that I think were from Mexico. It was not even their car. We only had to install a clutch in that one. We started the race with the same breaks, hoses, belts, shocks, etc.  that was on the cars when we got them. We even ran some of the same tires that came on them along with some $50 tires we bought new.

We drove shoort stints so every one would get a chance to drive. We all improved on our lap times about 12 to 15 seconds from the practice Friday to the end on Sunday. Hell one car was almost in the top 10 late on Sunday until it broke with 2 hours to go. The other actually finished. Look out next time; we are EXPERIENCED race car drivers now.

Hope everyone got to smell the dead fish and crabs in the crab trap.

Quote from all the guys. This Lemons stuff is some good shit!

Mike

Re: Our first race experience (New Orleans)

Yall are hooked now: welcome to the rest of your life!

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

I was working Safety and Recovery, I watched you boys scrambling so much I loaned out my suit from the truck. Two teams, Two suits, Two pair of shoes, three pair of gloves, and lots of dead animals.
I loved watching you guys have so much fun.

Sorry for the guys we had to tow in.
Carver

Outta the 3 races I have been to you guys had the best attidude to the whole thing. Some people take this thing way too seriously for a bunch of nickels. But you first timers did it right. Have fun, race a little, party a lot,  eat good food.  The boiled shrimp was awsome and thanks for feeding Mason and I on Sat. 

I think we all look forward to seeing ya'll for Houston in October.   We will have a special penality for Crabtrap if it comes back with any rotting sealife in the trap! Can any one tell these guys about the Chemical Ali?

You guys were awesome. You simultaneously captured the spirit of the Lemons and the spirit of the bayou locale. Hope to see you in Texas! http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2027/188/124/36766739494/n36766739494_2006835_1677973.jpg

We're hoping to be in Houston, thinking about putting live crabs in the trap this time. ( I hope PETA won't slam us).

ps. we all had a great time this past weekend.

Shawn

Team Shrimp Boots

Team Shrimp Boots
Ein Anderer ScheiB E-30,   Who Dat !!

7 (edited by EvergreenDan 2009-06-11 12:22 PM)

SR wrote:

... thinking about putting live crabs in the trap this time. ( I hope PETA won't slam us).

People for the Eating of Tasty Arthropods? They'll be delighted!

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

I agree. This was my friends and I first race to spectate. we had loads of fun.

It was easy to match your car with your tow truck...

we look forward to competing soon.

Debt free 2010
Lemons racing 2011...

"I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work" - Thomas Edison

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/06/Piranha_Boots_Party.jpg
These guys know how to throw a pit party!

http://jalopnik.com/assets/images/gallery/12/2009/06/medium_3599907708_cc5a6592a3_o.jpg
And they definitely know how to bribe the judges!

Shrimp Boots,

We were across from you in the paddock.  You guys rocked.  Quite literally.

This was our 3rd and best Lemons.  You guys helped make it memorable.

Hope to see you in Houston.

Thanks for suck a good time.

Troy

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z