Topic: Refueling regs.

There must be some place listing refueling regs. but i don't know where. Somebody point me to them. thanks, Team clueless,

Re: Refueling regs.

Most of the re-fueling regs are set by the track, and not the Lemons crew.  What track are you asking about?

I know at Reno, it's pretty much fair game to fuel anywhere in the pits (no hot pits).  At Thill, we have to re-fuel at the concrete pad where their fuel tanks are.

As far as regulations go for who can fuel your car?  Anyone, you just have to make sure the man with the can has FULL safety gear on (helmet, suit, gloves, shoes).  You also have to have someone next to the man with the can, holding a fire extinguisher.

Thanks for the quick reply. We're going to Stafford Motor Speedway in July. john:)=

jdep wrote:

We're going to Stafford Motor Speedway in July. john:)=

last year at stafford they had an area in the pits away from where the teams were set up that was the designated fueling area.  other than that, the only rule was you couldn't change drivers while fueling, so you had to stop at your pit and then go to fuel, or vice versa. 

and the full safety gear as previously mentioned

Was someone allowed in the car while refueling? 

-Scott

Scott Barton

6 (edited by gmatus 2009-06-12 11:59 AM)

sbarton wrote:

Was someone allowed in the car while refueling? 

-Scott

at all west coast events so far, yes

Team Formula BMW
#23 Pink Pig

At New Orleans, no one allowed in the car during refueling. At MSR Houston, yes. Each track has different rules. YMMV

Bonus question: Could someone please clarify "no hot pits"? I was assuming it meant no electricity was available, but now I get the feeling there's more to it.

Thanks

Well, at MSR Houston, "hot pits" meant that we were allowed to use the trackside pit lane for refueling and driver changes. All personnel who were permitted in the "hot pits" were required to be in full fire suit regalia; all personnel going over the wall were required to wear helmets and gloves as well as wearing their fire suits. When fueling in the "hot pits," teams were required to have one person standing by the fueler with a fire extinguisher in hand and ready to use in case of a fueling incident.

Although it's difficult to define a negative, "no hot pits" typically means the absence of the above conditions. Most of the time that means that driver changes are done in the team's paddock area and fueling is done pursuant to the track's particular fueling requirements.

As far as I'm concerned, hot pits are definitely the way to go if/when Lemons can convince the track to let us do it. Not only does it feel more like a real race, but I think it's safer if you don't have a bunch of cars pulling off the track and racing through the paddock area to get to their team area, then racing back onto the track, all the while trying not to get caught racing in the paddock. The paddock area can get awfully crowded sometimes with drivers, crew, friends and family and not all of them are walking around with their heads on a swivel looking out for a madcap racecar that needs a driver change and fuel stat. YMMV. Cheers.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Hot Pits are awesome. I wish all the tracks would be a go on this! Plus it makes it a little more fair to everyone since no one get stuck pitting far away from the pit entrance and have to deal with a bunch of traffic in the paddock.

Any word on how fueling will be at Buttonwillow?

Mulry,
Thanks much, very good description. big_smile

BTW one thing that should be obvious but maybe isn't is that fuel is a bad thing to spill on your driver's suit as it compromise the fire-proofness. Best be real careful not to spill anything while fueling or better yet have an old suit for the fueler to wear. From the SFI web site (http://www.sfifoundation.com/driversuit.html):

Avoid wearing your suit while working on the car. Not only would you be ruining an expensive piece of equipment, but you would essentially be inviting a fire to burn you. Grease, fuel, oil, and even cleaning fluids can soak into the fabric and support the flames of a fire, causing high heat. Fluids soaked into a suit also produce steam when exposed to heat and cause liquid vaporization burns.

Do we need to bring an extra fire extinguisher for Stafford, and plan to have 2 guys suited up to do refueling?

Does anyone just use the in car fire extinguisher? Or is that just too much of a pain in the ass?

Yes, you need someone holding the extinguisher at Stafford.  And yes, he should be suited. 

we use a different extinguisher for refuling rather than the one in the car, but i don't see how the car one would be a problem.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

This brings up an interesting point. They rules state that you can share all fire gear so I team could get away with one setup...BUT I guess not if you need two suited homeboys to fuel the car, right?

I am racing Stafford this weekend. We have 4 guys sharing a setup and myself and another with our own. Does the "spotter" during the fueling HAVE to wear a suit or just SHOULD?

Team Victors of War (those idiots in the wife-beaters and white pants)

FreeRange wrote:

Most of the re-fueling regs are set by the track, and not the Lemons crew.  What track are you asking about?

I know at Reno, it's pretty much fair game to fuel anywhere in the pits (no hot pits).  At Thill, we have to re-fuel at the concrete pad where their fuel tanks are.

As far as regulations go for who can fuel your car?  Anyone, you just have to make sure the man with the can has FULL safety gear on (helmet, suit, gloves, shoes).  You also have to have someone next to the man with the can, holding a fire extinguisher.

This type of stuff irritates me, and if Jay and Co. do in fact read the surveys they send out, they have heard it from me before.

Yes, the re-fueling rules are generally governed by the track.  With that said, I'm pretty darn sure the track can tell Jay and Co. this AHEAD OF TIME so it can be published AHEAD OF TIME so the teams can have their game plan/equipment ready AHEAD OF TIME.

Why the rant?  Well for one this was something that almost cost us the race this spring at CMP.  Here is how it all went down...

At the drivers meeting on Sunday morning the fueling rules were announced by CMP's track official.  Fueling was to be done in the hot pits only and spill pans would be provided.  Any fuel spilled on the pavement would result in a penalty. Also the gas man has to wear a helmet and full nomex.   OK...we understand, gotcha.  As the meeting was about to disband, someone yells out 'Does the rest of the crew have to wear full nomex'?  Jay and the track official discuss this for a minute and then say 'yes'.  Well damn....it's 90+ degress and now all of us need to sweat our asses off I guess.  Of course in the interest of safety I conceed this was/is a good idea.  My pet peeve is do the organizers really want us to believe that this safety aspect cannot be decided AHEAD OF TIME and therefore written in the PUBLISHED rules so all the team will be prepared?  OK, so you say what's the big deal we all have suits so just go and put them on right?  What about the gross people that share a suit?  It would be nice for those guys to know this stuff AHEAD OF TIME so they would be prepared.

Our whole team had nomex so why am I whining right?  Well keep reading.  Around the 2.5 hour mark it's time for our first driver change and re-fueling stop.  All of us don our nomex and the gas man has his helmet in addition so we are all good right?  Well it just so happens we run into another team (friends of ours) who see us pulling our 'little red wagon' with the gas cans to the hot pits.  He stops us and says 'BTW, you do know the gas man has to have either a shield for his helmet or goggles right'?  Umm...WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!??????  I'm sure many of you like myself who drive a car with a windshield have removed the helmet shield and tossed in a closet.  Three of our team members had done just that so depending on which one was in the car, the gas man would not have the proper equipment and we wouldn't be allowed to re-fuel without it.  Needing a shield or goggles was NOT discussed at the drivers meeting.  Luckily another team pitted near ours offered us a helmet with a shield so we didn't get hosed.

My point is I'm not a fan of deciding safety rules on the spot when clearly they can be decided and published AHEAD OF TIME.  Tell me the rules and we will obey them or pay the penalty for not doing so when they are clearly written AHEAD OF TIME.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:

blah blah blah

so you agree w/ the helmet but don't think you need a visor to refuel.  if there is anywhere on my face i don't want splashed with fuel/burning fuel it would be my eyes

maybe that's just me though

eljefe17 wrote:

so you agree w/ the helmet but don't think you need a visor to refuel.  if there is anywhere on my face i don't want splashed with fuel/burning fuel it would be my eyes

Read again.  I didn't say I didn't agree with the rule.  I said I didn't agree with not being told we were REQUIRED to have one to refuel AHEAD OF TIME.  FYI, more than one team was not allowed to re-fuel because they didn't have a visor or goggles, so I guess I'm not the only one that didn't know.

Like I said...the rules are rules...we get it, but just tell us what they are AHEAD OF TIME and BEFORE the event so we will all be prepared.  Rules, especially safety related ones, should not have to be made up on the spot.

Maybe this technique would work:

>>>dialing phone to CMP

CMP: Hello.

Jay: What are the re-fueling rules at your facility during a race?

CMP: Gas man must have full nomex gear, helmet with visor or use goggles, gloves, shoes.  Fueling is to be done only in the hot pits.  All crew members 'over the wall' must have full nomex gear.

Jay: Thanks!  I'll put that in the rules online so all the teams will know.

CMP: You're welcome.  See you soon!

Captain

How strict is Stafford about pit bikes? Even after hours if we plan on camping there. Whats a race without a little pit bike fun?

Team Victors of War (those idiots in the wife-beaters and white pants)

VKZ24 wrote:

Read again.  I didn't say I didn't agree with the rule.  I said I didn't agree with not being told we were REQUIRED to have one to refuel AHEAD OF TIME.  FYI, more than one team was not allowed to re-fuel because they didn't have a visor or goggles, so I guess I'm not the only one that didn't know.

was thinking more of common sense than rules.  it is nice to know all the rules though

WINWAR wrote:

How strict is Stafford about pit bikes? Even after hours if we plan on camping there. Whats a race without a little pit bike fun?

I may be wrong but I think it said nothing motorized in the pits

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

<scratching head>  Why would anyone buy a full faced helmet and intentionally remove the visor?

We are the people your parents warned you about.

Mine's full face and has no provision for a visor

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Tajracing45 wrote:

<scratching head>  Why would anyone buy a full faced helmet and intentionally remove the visor?

A lot of us do HPDE events and in a car with a windshield all the visor does is make the helmet even hotter.

Captain

I'm not saying what you're doing is wrong but why not just flip the visor up?  In the future since full faced helmets will be mandatory, I would assume that full faced means full faced, visors included, eh?

We are the people your parents warned you about.