Re: How many tires?

Troy wrote:

Regarding brakes, we have 4 wheel discs with more or less first gen 300ZX rotors running R4 pads.  The brake are a bit aggressive but they showed little wear after the first couple of races.

Other guys running Z's at No Problem wore out rear pads on the Low Budget 280ZX.  Between there 280ZX and anoter one, two of them had hydaulic failures, one was a front brake hose the other was a front caliper.

So to the guys that think just throw on pads, flush the brakes and go.  You need to check your hydraulic system.  Replace old rubber lines, calipers and your 20+ year old crappy master cylinder.  They do crap out from this kind of use.  No, they are not engineered for endurance racing!

I had to laugh to myself when you brought up brakes. Our Malibu ate up the front pads and and tires! Throwing that beast thru the corners is hell on stock pads. Hell we might even replace the rear drum brakes this race....lol

1980 Chevy Malibu Classic

Rumrunner wrote:
Troy wrote:

Regarding brakes, we have 4 wheel discs with more or less first gen 300ZX rotors running R4 pads.  The brake are a bit aggressive but they showed little wear after the first couple of races.

Other guys running Z's at No Problem wore out rear pads on the Low Budget 280ZX.  Between there 280ZX and anoter one, two of them had hydaulic failures, one was a front brake hose the other was a front caliper.

So to the guys that think just throw on pads, flush the brakes and go.  You need to check your hydraulic system.  Replace old rubber lines, calipers and your 20+ year old crappy master cylinder.  They do crap out from this kind of use.  No, they are not engineered for endurance racing!

I had to laugh to myself when you brought up brakes. Our Malibu ate up the front pads and and tires! Throwing that beast thru the corners is hell on stock pads. Hell we might even replace the rear drum brakes this race....lol

Try some Performance Friction pads from Autozoo, about $69.

I ran Napa metallics for like 5 races!

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Stafford is coming up, and if last year is any indication, it is hard on tires, especially the right front.  We chunked one good and were rotating tires frequently to try to save them.  I wouldn't go there with fewer than two full and decent sets.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

We needed 6 tires for Reno, but used-up less than 4 of the same ones at Thunderhill. (Contrary to popular belief, our tires had a 200 treadware.) Big difference for us was probably the dramatic weather and track temperature change.

Blanco Basura Racing wrote:

We needed 6 tires for Reno, but used-up less than 4 of the same ones at Thunderhill. (Contrary to popular belief, our tires had a 200 treadware.) Big difference for us was probably the dramatic weather and track temperature change.

What tires did you run?

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER

We got them from Roger Kraus Racing in the bay area, think they're Falken "Azenis".

We got them from Roger Kraus Racing in the bay area, think they're Falken "Azenis".

you can get them from here too http://www.vulcantire.com/azenis_rt615_t.htm

Team Formula BMW
#23 Pink Pig

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

(Also, I'd add that the single biggest variable as far as tire wear is whether or not your car is running. Sounds simple, but you will forget about it. Like, "last time, we didn't even use a single set!")

that is sooo right.

We spent all day Saturday R&R our tranny.   We still ate up two tires on the front on Sunday at No Problem.   We had heard that the track was rough on tires.

Best way to judge is to ask ask ask people who have raced at a particular track how is the surface.

6 tires at a minimum with at least two of them with full thread and you should be fine.

This was the first time I ran the same as you and all 4 tires toasted  ,2 fronts on sat  then rotated rears to front and then had 2 hankook from thill and ran those on the rear.

RFR  surface was horrible

So, do you think that this is too many?
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y263/imagoodcitizen/Internet/Lemons/P1010093.jpg

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

Some of those don't look like legal treadwear Lemons tires............

sergio wrote:

Some of those don't look like legal treadwear Lemons tires............

Probably weren't.  That shot is from our first (well, the first) Lemons race where there were no tread limits.  We brought 19 extra wheels and tires.  I'm not sure if the thinking was that the officials might throw nails onto the course, but we wanted to be prepared.

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

Button Willow in mid summer will be fun for tires for sure. We ran the GoodYear GSD3s at THill and came home with over half tread left on a 4200lb jag. We have a lot of time spent running at BW and during the summer the tires go greasy fast and then just start to push the tread off the tire so drive smooth and steady and save the racing for sunday afternoon. Your tires will thank you and you will avoid pit stops

Pendejo Maximo

4200lb Jag isn't that over the weight rules?

was that the MadMax Jag?

The Zebra?

or that super clean Jag that was a cheating !

It was the super clean jag that was accused of a cheating! It is/was a clean car but in reality it is bent like a pretzel from a crash and was rebuilt in Tijuana and then left for dead in the back of a auction lot. I think if it was 300 lbs heavier and had duallies on the back axle it would be illegal.

fabtoys wrote:

Where in the hell do people get the idea that car was cheating? I've never seen so much Bondo on one vehicle in my life, and even nice XJSs are cheap... for good reason.

Ryan and I saw that when were walking around saturday night  in the paddock and both of us said we got to hit that car he needs a little love/paint from Lemon Demo and my green paint

Anything looks clean next to our cars.We would need 55 gallon drum of bondo for our cars!!

MurileeMartin wrote:
fabtoys wrote:

Where in the hell do people get the idea that car was cheating? I've never seen so much Bondo on one vehicle in my life, and even nice XJSs are cheap... for good reason.

Good question! These cars have currently reached a new level of devaluation and can be found dead all over the place. Ours barely made it through THill with a dying transmission and only front brakes. But man was it fun and smooooth to drive and the heater was stuck on which helped in the cold but it will NOT help at BW.

Maximo Grande Pendejo

I got a cadi northstar I was thinking of building heat a/c stereo

fabtoys wrote:

I got a cadi northstar I was thinking of building heat a/c stereo

I understand the whole strip the car make it lighter is faster route but what about the comfort/smooth ride/Big Pimpin style of racing? I am going to stick with the not stripping it attitude.

Big Pimpin Pendejo