Topic: Hole in fuel line—patch or replace?

The hard fuel line in our car is surprisingly easy to punch a hole in; I found this out by putting a hole in it this afternoon.  We patched the hole with a piece of rubber tubing and a few hose clamps (one right on the hole, one on either side).  Is this fix sufficient for the race, or should we get a new fuel line and replace the entire run?

The fuel line in question is metal underneath the main part of the floor pan, and then is connected to the fuel tank at one end and the engine at the other with lengths of rubber tubing, exactly like the stuff we made the patch with.

Cobra Kai (1994 Volvo 940)

Re: Hole in fuel line—patch or replace?

The hard fuel line in our car is surprisingly easy to punch a hole in;

That is not a good sign - you want to replace it.

Replace.  The bottom line is you get one chance to fix a fuel leak at the event, if it leaks again you are on the trailer.  Do you want to risk ruining your whole weekend over a fuel line?

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

If it's high pressure line, use the right hose and balloon flare the ends. Use band clamps, not the gear type. Might be easier to just replace he whole section.

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

JThw8 wrote:

Replace.  The bottom line is you get one chance to fix a fuel leak at the event, if it leaks again you are on the trailer.  Do you want to risk ruining your whole weekend over a fuel line?

This sounds like sober advice.  Sounds like a trip to Pick-n-Pull is in my future.

Cobra Kai (1994 Volvo 940)

Supply line or return line?  Fuel injected or carbureted?

Basically, the supply line on a fuel injected motor runs at 40 psi.  Your rubber patch won't cut it.  Carburetors run 8-15 psi, so you might be ok.  Return lines only have whatever head the gas in the tank provides, so probably no worries there.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

Another suggestion, cut the "hole" out with a tubing cutter and repair with a compression fitting.

It Ain't My Fault

DaveH wrote:

Supply line or return line?  Fuel injected or carbureted?

Basically, the supply line on a fuel injected motor runs at 40 psi.  Your rubber patch won't cut it.  Carburetors run 8-15 psi, so you might be ok.  Return lines only have whatever head the gas in the tank provides, so probably no worries there.

My thinking is that if its rotted enough to poke through in one place there's no telling how the rest of it is.  Why risk getting black flagged for a ruptured line in the middle of a race when you have time to replace it properly before

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Woodstock wrote:

Another suggestion, cut the "hole" out with a tubing cutter and repair with a compression fitting.

this

Why would you pick-n-pull gas line?  You'll likely just get one as crappy as what you are replacing.  Large spools of fresh line are $35, or you can get the pre-fitted ones at any parts store and thread together however many you need to get the job done if you don't want to flare your own ends.   A tubing bender is cheap as well, or you can use a small coffee or soup can to make decent beds as well.

I'd replace the whole thing....since there must be other weak spots....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

replace it. the gas line doesn't count towards the car value, as it's considered a safety item

If you buy a tubing bender, don't get the $5 cheapie, get the nicer tubing bender that holds the line and draws over the top. I kinked a handful of lines before I learned that lesson.

new fuel line. Try checking the Pick and pulls for the same car (searchable database). Then you just go unbolt it, and bolt in your car. Cheaper and easier than getting a straight line from the autoparts store and then bending it. I mean kinking it.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

15 (edited by bobnowoc 2020-12-08 07:57 PM)

Oops. I'm in the wrong thread. Deleted

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

16 (edited by bobnowoc 2020-12-08 07:59 PM)

Don't mind me. Just passing through. Deleted

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

I'd just order a complete new one from an auto parts store.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Mr.Yuck wrote:

Dude, 10 year old thread.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:

lol carry on, hope he got it fixed.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Mr.Yuck wrote:
cheseroo wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:

lol carry on, hope he got it fixed.

Apparently did: Goin' for Broken 2010 participation. Hopefully this thread dies one final time now