Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

for the people still in doubt, here are the materials I'm using:

reinforced hose:
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/IMG_0175.jpg

non cutting clamps:
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/IMG_0176.jpg

and non cutting fuel barbs:
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/IMG_0178.jpg

527 (edited by Marc 2011-03-26 04:44 AM)

here is today's task:

http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/wiring.JPG

click for bigger: http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/Airpl … wiring.JPG

note that i'm putting in the map switch becasue i may get to the track and need the ability to have two maps (maybe for plug cleaning, maybe becuase starting is difficult, maybe to shut off the two bottom cylinders while they blow the oil out... who knows but i'd like to have it wired)

Marc wrote:

for the people still in doubt, here are the materials I'm using:

reinforced hose:

non cutting clamps:

and non cutting fuel barbs:

Nothing beats internet arm chair engineering! I'm no expert, but I did used to be an engineer designing pneumatic systems that pumped fuel at high pressure... Your stuff will work just fine. My street cars (modern Turbo EFI) have rubber in the fuel line, so its hardly uncommon. I can't wait to see it run!

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

I cant wait to see this thing run. Ive been looking forward to this weekend.

nothing really picture worthy today. finished plumbing the fuel and i made the main wiring harness. I have small things left to do on the harness like the fuse block and whatnot, but i should be working on tuning megasquirt about 1/2 way into tomorrow.

as long as there are no unexpected hurdles, i'll definitely fire the engine tomorrow.

well, this is depressing. i was well into all the initial setup and then i ran into a pretty serious configuration error with megasquirt:

"Number of teeth/cylinders conflict"

it turns out that megasquirt wants to see the total number of teeth divided by the number of cylinders to be an integer number.

this means my 36-1 wheel is inadequate. i need a 40-1.

unfortunately the waterjet shop won't be able to turn it around for a few days, i'll go try cutting one on the CNC plasma cutter but i suspect the results will be less than adequate.

the good news is, if i tell it that i have 4 cylinders instead of 5 the cam and crank sensors work great and the unit sync even at 39RPM (turns out this is my cranking speed). so all the important unknown stuff works as intended.

off to the shop to see what i can make of this.

Sounds like you may want to cut your losses.  I'll give you $500.

Well, looks like the motor isn't firing today. the plasma cutter could not make a strait enough wheel. i'm sure if i fiddled with it all afternoon i could get something workable, but it's not worth it. i'll keep plugging away at the other stuff that needs done and i'll start the motor later this week.

534 (edited by Marc 2011-03-29 11:10 AM)

WOOOOO we have contact!

watch the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjerE7PoyJs

the white bucket under the motor is my "dry sump" tank. obviously I need a better solution in the very near future smile

The video's sound does not do it justice. it's so full of awesome I can't contain myself!

I gotta be very thankful to Donna at StreamTek (http://www.streamtekllc.com/) she cut my new crank timing wheel in a very quick hurry and got it to me. if any of you guys need stuff cut and you don't have a local shop, give her a call.

So, who lost a bet that it would not even start?

Congrats man!  I know you are sooooo stoked that it's ALIVE!!!!!!

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Über awesome!

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

I can't believe that you weren't jumping up and down for joy. That's the first time that engine's fired since it was manufactured in the Thirties, right? Freaking fantastic. Congrats Marc!

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

I can't believe that you weren't jumping up and down for joy. That's the first time that engine's fired since it was manufactured in the Thirties, right? Freaking fantastic. Congrats Marc!

I was jumping on the inside. no need to slip and fall and get eaten by a chain!

judging by the rebuild dates marked on the cylinders it looks like it's the first time it's fired in 66years.

i just realized the engine is way at the back, so it's essentially rear engined. Does this mean it will handle like a 911?

sounds awesome in the video, must be amazing in real life.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

i just realized the engine is way at the back, so it's essentially rear engined. Does this mean it will handle like a 911?

Handle?  With this much Über awesomeness you want it to handle too?

Wow

Just wow.

Congratulations.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

WOW I hope to be able to see this at a track.

Infinity Q45 #47 @ Gator-a-Rama 09 & #147 @ Nelson Ledges 09
Datsun 510 #102 @ High Plains Raceway 10 & #102 @ Mid-America Motorplex 10
Datsun 280Z #55 @ Autobahn 10

Incredible!!!  Can't wait to see it in person at GingerMan.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Sweet mary!  That is fantastic!

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

TheEngineer wrote:

sounds awesome in the video, must be amazing in real life.

if it handles like a porsche it'll be like a real old porsche... before they figured out how to make them handle smile

Marc, so so awesome.  Congrats!

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

That is just incredible! You truly are the Charlie Daniels of the torque-wrench Marc, I can't wait to see it in person.

"Hello. Can I have you step out of the car please?"

Sweet!

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Exhaust falling off, catastrophic oil leak, no idle - it's STILL awesome as hell.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

congratulations!

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?