Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

MAD props on the cage. Looks great! I need a tubing bender, so I can start doing my own, instead of using pieces of other cages, and buying new cages.

Yeah, we are mounting our seat to the floor today in the LanciaR2. No slider, short folks (coughCaddywreckercough) will need a pillow or two. Otherwise, as you found, taller folks CANNOT fit. Also, the narrow seat it had will be in the Lincoln, so if you can make your way to NJMP or Summit, you can have a stint after all.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

627 (edited by Marc 2011-04-05 12:09 PM)

Speedycop wrote:

MAD props on the cage. Looks great! I need a tubing bender, so I can start doing my own, instead of using pieces of other cages, and buying new cages.

Yeah, we are mounting our seat to the floor today in the LanciaR2. No slider, short folks (coughCaddywreckercough) will need a pillow or two. Otherwise, as you found, taller folks CANNOT fit. Also, the narrow seat it had will be in the Lincoln, so if you can make your way to NJMP or Summit, you can have a stint after all.

thanks, i think it's my best cage yet.

the bender isn't that expensive. and i just use the cheapie JN-100 notcher semi-permanently mounted in a harbour freight drill press to do it all. i think about $600 and you could have all the tools i have here.  don't splurge for the hydro version, the manual version works just fine.

I'd love a stint in the LanciaR2 if you make it possible smile

I just made it possible. Only catch is that you have to be at a race where it is. NJMP or Summit are your options at the moment.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Speedycop wrote:

I just made it possible. Only catch is that you have to be at a race where it is. NJMP or Summit are your options at the moment.

there's no way i have time to race this weekend smile as for summit, i want to say yes, but it's likely no since I've got a first kid on the way may 24th smile

Add a petty bar to the cage, the rear stays are too low on the main hoop to pass...

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Imagine what would happen if this epic build never made it past tech sad

Maximum Efforts Motorsports
Mid-Engine Chevette
S-10 incoming...

Counting the minutes till I see this car in person.

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

Crab Spirits wrote:

+1

"Hello. Can I have you step out of the car please?"

Judge Sam wrote:
Crab Spirits wrote:

+1

the good news is the car is definately done enough that it's getting shoved on a trailer and brought up there to show. but if anythimg major goes wrong at this point, it's gonna be a show stopper.

anyways, onto tonight's progress...

1) hooked up the shifter... those cheap push pull cables from mcmaster car are simply atrocious. they have more slop than the travel to select gears. it isn't anywhere near right, but it can be shifted in every gear except overdrive so it's getting called "good enough for now"

2) i plumbed up the oil tank up front. waiting for the brackets to show up to mount the tank.

3) added the extra throttle return spring to make everything feel right.

4) mounted cht probe. the 18mm plug CHT sensors were too expensive so i placed it around a head/jug bolt. it should be right at the hottest part of the head there anyways so the reading will be "good enough"

my list is down to the following:

1) megasquirt
   a) wire in O2 sensor
   b) tune it some more (though i have most of the smoke gone now, i need to make a new video)

2) brakes, i need to make a 2nd vac manifold to power the brakes and for the fuel tank evap lines

3) cooling fan mount/ main prop nut locking aparatus. i think i can make both of these functions as a single part.

4) mount tach, fuel and head temp guages

5) safety
   a) wire up brake lights
   b) get a fire extinguisher
   c) install 5-pt harness
   d) rear view mirror   

6) add steering wheel/brackets

7) make CV shaft spacers. it looks like i may have made my shafts a bit short but a small spacer will make it work just fine.

8) deal with the damn clutch
   a)it looks like the throwout still isn't right.
   b)get a hydraulic line made

9) order tires

10) replace windshield (spider cracked it while installing the cage... damnit)

11) add in extra engine supports for front mount to prevent flywheel from touching crossmember. perhaps add shims between crossmember and body to help there also.

i think that is it for now smile

635 (edited by JdeMod 2011-04-05 06:58 PM)

This car should go on tour after its done. If only it could make its way to CA

JdeMod wrote:

This car should go on tour after its done. If only it could make its way to CA

we'd be talking about 4000miles of driving to get there/back. the tow rig gets about 17mpg while towing.  heck, we'd be talking over $1000 of fuel alone to get there and back.

as much as i'd love to, i somehow do not see taking this car to CA in it's future.

I figured as much that's why I left it at "if only".

JdeMod wrote:

I figured as much that's why I left it at "if only".

weirder things have happened. maybe someone on here can get me a great deal on automotive shipping and i can just fly out. i'm sure i could scare up someone with tools local in CA for use at the track.

a plane ticket isn't that expensive to get there if i could get the car there.

but anyways. for now i just need to worry about this next race smile

639 (edited by Mulry 2011-04-05 08:04 PM)

I hate to add to your list, but I'd hate more to see you have problems at tech:

Safety 5-e: Add Petty Bar. See post 630.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

640 (edited by jiggermyster 2011-04-05 08:07 PM)

Marc wrote:

well, the cage is finished. i am sunburnt all over from the welding and i ache. but the damn cage is done!...

Two words... Sunscreen!
Wait, that's one word.

...anyway, a good sunblock will block flash burns too.

There aren't enough ah's in awesome to describe this project.

btw, here's the solution to your starter concern.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y5LBUVS1T8
(~25 seconds in...)

Only took like six tries lol sounds like a great penalty

Mulry wrote:

I hate to add to your list, but I'd hate more to see you have problems at tech:

Safety 5-e: Add Petty Bar. See post 630.

i'm working with John over e-mail on this one. i don't have it on the list because I'm not sure what the ultimate solution here is.

i did not post it here because I've found the judges only read this thread intermittently and it's way better to have any discussion directly with them.

jiggermyster wrote:
Marc wrote:

well, the cage is finished. i am sunburnt all over from the welding and i ache. but the damn cage is done!...

Two words... Sunscreen!
Wait, that's one word.

...anyway, a good sunblock will block flash burns too.

There aren't enough ah's in awesome to describe this project.

btw, here's the solution to your starter concern.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y5LBUVS1T8
(~25 seconds in...)

yeah, I know about sunblock for welding but i hate the stuff. really i should just wear a long sleve shirt.

while it was still a decent hour i made another running video. i'm quite happy with the start/idle. right now it idles around 12:1 aft, i'll bring that down but it's good enough for now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdZQV24ZgB8

it's leaning out a little under high throttle which is why there's a ton of smoke when i nail the throttle i have to rescale the megaquirt load index. the MAP responds very nicely but it only ranges from .7bar to 1bar.

the motor seems to not mind idling at any RPM i place it at. there's more than enough inertia to make up for the propeller.

also, the #3 cylinder came in but it's still occasionally dropping out. the fix was adjusting the valve lash. i think i'm going to open them up some more to let the valves slam into the seat a bit more. 66+ years of sitting may have pitted them a bit and they could use a bit of bedding in.

head temp is great while at any throttle position (of course without load)

anyways, here is the video. i'm off to the shop to go make a vac manifold for the brakes, evap system and work on the steering wheel brackets.

oh, as you can notice in the video. the motor isn't that loud now that i have the baffles in place but there's a ton of whiring noise from all the strait cut spur gears and the chains. the alternator drive might be noisier than the main drive but it's hard to tell.

Sounds great!!

"Hello. Can I have you step out of the car please?"

damn marc. so much awesome. It's actually just a bit sad that it got quieter, but oh well, them's the rules!

647 (edited by Marc 2011-04-06 06:47 PM)

I made a vacuum manifold for brakes & fuel evap system:

http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/IMG_0220.jpg

and i also made the steering column:
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/IMG_0221.jpg

though for some reason i ended up making the column 6" longer than i intended to. i'll shorten it tomorrow and add the bracket to hold it up in place.

Serj wrote:

damn marc. so much awesome. It's actually just a bit sad that it got quieter, but oh well, them's the rules!

it may be quieter, but it's still the same note. just less sound pressure. i'm very happy to report that it did not ruin the airplane sound smile

Sounds great, Marc. Why the replacement steering column? Didn't like how Toyota crapped up the stock one with all the cluster crap? smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

Sounds great, Marc. Why the replacement steering column? Didn't like how Toyota crapped up the stock one with all the cluster crap? smile

because the stock dash bar was in the way of the cage and it's less work to put in a new one than to mount the stock one. plus i wanted it a bit closer to the driver.