1,351 (edited by therood 2012-06-09 11:47 AM)

Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

It lives and it races:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STnJNnCZ … e=youtu.be

Sorry about the video quality; I'll have higher quality stuff up soon, as will countless others, no doubt.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:

It lives and it races:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STnJNnCZ … e=youtu.be

Sorry about the video quality; I'll have higher quality stuff up soon, as will countless others, no doubt.

Well, it turns out the rest of my video is of more dubious quality than I'd originally thought; first time (and possibly last time) I've used that camera.

Anyway, here are two that are salvageable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU6g_uH0 … ture=g-upl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aDcqUAK … ture=g-upl

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

been lurking for years this is epic

you rock!

Here is a video of it starting up and heading out on the track for the first time on Saturday.

http://youtu.be/IVHwvz3q1DM?hd=1

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner

Did the MR2 make it back out today?

Oh man, it didn't break on Saturday did it?

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

Junkyard Dog wrote:

Oh man, it didn't break on Saturday did it?

It made it through 8 laps then snapped a shaft in the drive train. I really hope they get it fixed and back out there.

Way to go Marc!!  This thing is awesome, it was cool to go by it last year at Gingerman and even better this weekend in Chicago.  It sounds amazing going by when you're a spectator, but driving next to it on the track is truely one of the coolest things i have ever heard.   Congrats on this awesome machine!!!

Wisconsin Crap Racers #113 E36
I.O.E. Winners 2023 Gingerman
2016 and 2017 Cure for Gingivitis Champs!
30+ time Losers!

Good times trying to weld that contraption!

Just got home. The weekend was quite a bit of fun! While it's fresh in my mind, i'll go ahead and post an update.

on saturday i was off to a stunning start, did about 4 laps before she started stuttering. it felt like a severe timing issue. i could not replicate it in the pits, went back out for 2 laps and came in on the strap with the same issue. still could not replicate it in the pits, but decided to take 10degrees of timing out across the board and remove a bit of fuel (10% or so) in case it was a rich miss since i was fairly certain it was rich.

also, i tried messing with the linkage, for some reason i could not get in 4th to save my life. this was a pretty significant problem since 3rd was too short and 5th was too long.

went back out for 2 laps, and the motor started sputtering really badly and one of the hard pulses broke the 3000GT shaft.

i called Adam (adamjabaay on here) up on his offer he made last last week. he dropped what he was doing right away and we drove about 45minutes away to his shop and i was able to use his TIG welder to repair the shaft.

while i was doing this, i sent two other team-mates to search for a replacement seal that was damaged in the incident. i unfortunately thought the number written on the seal would have been enough to cross it but it wasn't. so when i got back to the track about 2.5 hours later with the repaired shaft, there was no seal waiting for me. so i looked it up in the timken aftermarket catalog and found the part number 222830. we then proceeded to go to every parts store in a 20mile radius. the best we could do was order one for 8:00am sunday morning. so we do that, otherwise we would have been back on the track by about 3:30 or 4:00 on saturday.

sunday morning, the seal has arrived, I install it in the car and the car makes it out within a few minutes of the green flag dropping. at first the car is running strong and thankfully there's a full course yellow. still with no 4th gear i spend the next 4 laps balls out "racing" without exceeding the RPM limit in 3rd. this results in the entire field bunched behind me on a full course yellow. top of 3rd gear was about 65-70mph. I'm not entirely sure what caused that full course yellow. there was a truck out doing a rescue but it wasn't in an odd spot and only one truck. either way, 4 calm laps was appreciated.

track then goes green again and the problem comes right back. at this point, i have an epiphany and remember that my coolant temp is actually connected to my oil temperature. it seems that the car was finally going out of cold enrichment mode and probably doing lean misfires. it's not obvious on a 5.5:1 compression ratio. i go ahead and correct that and correct the timing adjustment caused by the same issue.

i go back out for a few laps and then it happens again. apparently i had messed up the fuel curves a bit while hunting for it so i correct them back and it runs great and i go back out again. a few more laps and then it starts missing bad, but now the tach is dropping in and out. that instantly points to a loss of sync issue. so i adjust the hall sensors in a bit and go back out.

at this point, i'm 18 laps in i believe and it's running great. so i decide to go back out thinking everything will be fantastic. sure enough, at that point the shaft breaks again. so i had now made it to 20 laps and no way to move under it's own power again.

i then packed the trailer and wait for the awards ceremony and i end up getting "most heroic fix" which i'm not entirely sure i deserved, but i was happy to accept it. especially since my goal is to win all of the trophies possible.

i now have gotten two with this car:
-i got screwed
-heroic fix

if someone else wants to pick up the flame, i can probably sell the car whole but I think I've done what i can with this motor and it's time for me to move on. i really do want to do a turboshaft in the same chassis but i have to clear it by Jay and such first.

IOE...IOE...IOE... (crowd is chanting)

We were hoping for it.  I thought 20 laps would get it. 

As for passing he torch on this build, who in the world could improve upon what you've accomplished?  smile

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

Marc, it was quite awesome to see and hear the car run. From my penalty box duties this weekend, I felt like I was in the catbird seat every time you guys fired up the engine (or tried). And then to have the shaft fail and you get it back together again was just splendid. I can't wait to see the videos posted. Cheers!

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

1,363 (edited by Marc 2012-06-11 03:41 AM)

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

IOE...IOE...IOE... (crowd is chanting)

We were hoping for it.  I thought 20 laps would get it. 

As for passing he torch on this build, who in the world could improve upon what you've accomplished?  smile

You know, last time i felt had that they gave it to a pickup truck instead of me even though i only did one lap. but that square back vee dub did deserve it way more than i did. they turned a TON of laps with that thing and it seemed somewhat reliable.

Mulry wrote:

Marc, it was quite awesome to see and hear the car run. From my penalty box duties this weekend, I felt like I was in the catbird seat every time you guys fired up the engine (or tried). And then to have the shaft fail and you get it back together again was just splendid. I can't wait to see the videos posted. Cheers!

The videos from the rear camera will be posted soon. but i will warn you. it's a bit of a nausea view. the image stabilization is causing a wave through the image.

there's no way i could have gotten it back together without Adam. i greatly appreciate the tools he lent me. That guy has a CRX sickness.

Why am I not watching video of this yet. Haha

adamjabaay wrote:

Why am I not watching video of this yet. Haha

because you're stuck in the shop working on CRXs? there are a few videos posted already smile i will post some later tonight.

I already bumped into a couple - you have fans.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Marc wrote:

if someone else wants to pick up the flame, i can probably sell the car whole but I think I've done what i can with this motor and it's time for me to move on. i really do want to do a turboshaft in the same chassis but i have to clear it by Jay and such first.

I vote for a Fiat 850 Spider as the chassis for the turboshaft. Mr2 is too big and too easy for you now!

Surely there must be a team that'd want a pre-cut MR2 with a cage for that magical 455/TH425 combo swap?

K Car Stalker

On my way home it finally hit me what your error was.  You really need to study your history.  Mitibuishi in WWII was best known for their Zeros and they were often used for the Kamikazi attacks.  Your engine finally was working (have to say I loved the little puffs of white smoke that came out of each tailpipe as its cylinder fired on your way out on that last trip) perfectly and the 3000gt box reverted to its ww2 setting and took you out of the race.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

BoB wrote:

On my way home it finally hit me what your error was.  You really need to study your history.  Mitibuishi in WWII was best known for their Zeros and they were often used for the Kamikazi attacks.  Your engine finally was working (have to say I loved the little puffs of white smoke that came out of each tailpipe as its cylinder fired on your way out on that last trip) perfectly and the 3000gt box reverted to its ww2 setting and took you out of the race.

yeah, this occurred to me a few times during this project. installing an american WWII motor in a japanese chassis seems like something *HAS* to go wrong.

as for that smoke, I'm not sure what that was. i suspect the oil finally got up to temp and i started to burn some of it. i only went through about 3 quarts of oil over the weekend.

the engine head temps were never an issue either. all within 10degrees and around 360F was the max. well within the 600F allowed. i could have probably cut a TON of fuel out of it and gotten more power and more heat.

1,370 (edited by psychoboy 2012-06-11 09:34 AM)

for people looking at taking this task on, a couple questions (and they might well have been answered in this thread already, and i just missed them)....

1) the current order of parts? it looks like Motor -> BMW Guibo -> 3000GT diff -> Goldwing 90* box -> Subaru transaxle (clutch to the front). is this correct? are there any other stockish adapting bits in the drive line?

2) the failure points thus far have been what? the welded adapting bits? all typically due to somewhat erratic and very powerful pulses the motor delivers at lower RPMs?

3) what ultimately kept you out of a torque converter on the flywheel? the need for an external pump and sealing surfaces?

again, not trying to look past your accomplishments on this idea. i was hoping it would run the whole weekend without a hitch. someone wanting to accept your passing of the torch would be best served not making the same old mistakes. they need to get the chance to make all new mistakes.

thanks again for this epic journey....hope it's not over.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

psychoboy wrote:

for people looking at taking this task on, a couple questions (and they might well have been answered in this thread already, and i just missed them)....

1) the current order of parts? it looks like Motor -> BMW Guibo -> 3000GT diff -> Goldwing 90* box -> Subaru transaxle (clutch to the front). is this correct? are there any other stockish adapting bits in the drive line?

2) the failure points thus far have been what? the welded adapting bits? all typically due to somewhat erratic and very powerful pulses the motor delivers at lower RPMs?

3) what ultimately kept you out of a torque converter on the flywheel? the need for an external pump and sealing surfaces?

again, not trying to look past your accomplishments on this idea. i was hoping it would run the whole weekend without a hitch. someone wanting to accept your passing of the torch would be best served not making the same old mistakes. they need to get the chance to make all new mistakes.

thanks again for this epic journey....hope it's not over.

first thing to mention is there already two people in line but on such an epic project they may come to their senses before too long.

1)you have the order right. there's just a bunch of custom adapters and shafts gluing those pieces together.

2)the failure points so far:
a)the CAM sensor needs relocated. i suggest the machine gun cam block off plate and read the actual lobe on the cam. the rocker vibrates too much.
b)the guibo did not fail, but it was on it's way out. it probably would have disintegrated after about 100miles or so. there are aftermarket couplers to correct this, i'd strongly suggest it.
c)the 3000GT box was filling up with metal snarf. the first day was much worse than the 2nd. maybe the gears have taken a new set and just needed to machine themselves to eachother, but likely they would eventually wear through the hardening and then the whole gear would eat itself.
d)i haven't checked the goldwing box yet, but i suspect it's also filling up with metalic snarf.
e)the shift linkage completely blows. I'd suggest a proper linkage instead of this damn push-pull cable affair i have.
f)if you care about your teeth, rubber mount the motor.

that said, overheating any of the boxes did not become an issue. the motor also ran quite cool back there

3)pride. i hate automatics and it just seemed like taking the easy way out. yeah, that's right, i let that get in the way. if you used an automatic torque converter on the motor even if it was still linked to a manual trans with a clutch you probably would have saved everything else.

Could the bucking been plugs fouling from a rich mixture/low temperature?

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Team Infinniti wrote:

Could the bucking been plugs fouling from a rich mixture/low temperature?

best i can tell, the bucking was a lean misfire because the cold enrichment table was leaning out the motor as i drove it. it took a while to figure that out since i expected too rich, not too lean.

it did not help that my wideband o2 sensor was in a section of pipe that was too short to get a good reading.

1,374 (edited by psychoboy 2012-06-11 04:37 PM)

thanks for the insight.

as to 3), i totally agree with the row-it-yourself idea. i also understand that a properly tuned t/c can take a whole lot of buck out of the lumpiest of motors.

if a t/c could be plumbed and an output shaft could be made to run the geardrive (or a reversion to your original chaindrive idea, with stouter chain gear and a solid scatter shield) i'd imagine a bunch of the stress on the welded bits (or links) would be taken out (you'd lose overall power as well, but it might be worth the loss, this thing is basically driving nails Mr Miyago style when the normal method would work just fine.)

looking at the motor/tranny/car from the rear...what way does everything spin? clockwise, counter, or both?

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

psychoboy wrote:

thanks for the insight.

as to 3), i totally agree with the row-it-yourself idea. i also understand that a properly tuned t/c can take a whole lot of buck out of the lumpiest of motors.

if a t/c could be plumbed and an output shaft could be made to run the geardrive (or a reversion to your original chaindrive idea, with stouter chain gear and a solid scatter shield) i'd imagine a bunch of the stress on the welded bits (or links) would be taken out (you'd lose overall power as well, but it might be worth the loss, this thing is basically driving nails Mr Miyago style when the normal method would work just fine.)

looking at the motor/tranny/car from the rear...what way does everything spin? clockwise, counter, or both?

From the rear of the car, the motor spins clockwise and the transmission needs to be counterclockwise and 3x faster. just picture the rear of the airplane motor as the front (not far off since that's where the accessories go) and everything spins normally

what you're forgetting about the TC solution is it requires shafts to be held concentric also. it's not just a question of a couple self centering seals and whatnot.

i don't think a complete redesign would be needed like your suggesting. i think an itteration would work just fine:

1)add a 2nd flywheel on the motor, it needs more dampening. use a dual mass flywheel from a reasonably large diesel and mount the guibo to that
2)have my friend weld the mitsubishi 3000GT. it would hold then.
3)dyno tune the motor. the delivery pulses would go away somewhat if i can get rid of the occasional stutter.

of course, this is assuming the goldwing box isn't full of snarf. if it is, i could be off on my diagnosis. i will check it out soon out of curiosity.