Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

Marc wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:

Toto, I don't think we're in Lemons anymore.......

smile

It's not nearly as bad as you think smile

i think i have about $40 worth of aluminium and the v-drive cost me $200. the transfer case was free.

Now the labor... that's free smile

Thats not what I mean.... (not like your last one wink... I mean this is real engineering, not just a Lemons cobble job.... Very nice welding BTW... You should build airplanes instead of messing around with junk cars! What's new? I'm impatiently waiting to get the Lexus out, but after I prove what I aim to, I need a new challenge. Maybe a Audi 1.8T powered MR2?, make if FWD for uniqueness? smile

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

yeah, i really enjoy building stuff.

honestly the previous lemon had just as much stuff like this. it just wasn't as apparent. it was in the mating of the different generations of suspensions and the brakes and even the shift linkage.

While i can weld aluminium, i can't take credit for those welds, that was a friend that did those.

don't make an MR2 FWD.... make it AWD! it would not be terribly difficult, it's already got a huge tunnel for the driveshaft.

Marc wrote:

honestly the previous lemon had just as much stuff like this. it just wasn't as apparent. it was in the mating of the different generations of suspensions and the brakes and even the shift linkage.

While i can weld aluminium, i can't take credit for those welds, that was a friend that did those.

don't make an MR2 FWD.... make it AWD! it would not be terribly difficult, it's already got a huge tunnel for the driveshaft.

...you mean the tunnel where the gas tank resides? i can see this going well...

well, some things would have to be reworked a bit smile

Marc wrote:

Hmm. there's an idea. Actually, no more Toyota's for me. Too easy, too reliable, and too boring! I need a Trabant or old NSU I think smile

BTW, I was there at tech for your last creation, and I know good work when I see it; Done that bit myself before - Nicely done!

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

131 (edited by dculberson 2011-01-24 07:13 AM)

I was going to ask about that welding on the planetary case.  That's some beautiful work.  Your friend is a very skilled welder.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

i started gutting the car this weekend. if anyone had doubts about this all fitting in there, check this out:

http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/radial/IMG_0029.jpg

with the trunk removed, an MR2 engine bay becomes 36" wide by 52" long at the narrowest spots. many spots are several inches wider. you could fit pretty much anything you want in there.

nice! I want to see a mock-up just for wow factor.

I forget... has this engine been fired up yet?

Spinnetti wrote:
Marc wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:

Toto, I don't think we're in Lemons anymore.......

smile

It's not nearly as bad as you think smile

i think i have about $40 worth of aluminium and the v-drive cost me $200. the transfer case was free.

Now the labor... that's free smile

Thats not what I mean.... (not like your last one wink... I mean this is real engineering, not just a Lemons cobble job.... Very nice welding BTW... You should build airplanes instead of messing around with junk cars! What's new? I'm impatiently waiting to get the Lexus out, but after I prove what I aim to, I need a new challenge. Maybe a Audi 1.8T powered MR2?, make if FWD for uniqueness? smile

Personally, when the engine craps out, I'd rather be a cobbled together radial powered car than a cobbled together radial powered plane.
-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

Judge Phil wrote:

BAH! That's Irrelavent! This is Lemons. you put the engine in -THEN- figure out if it runs! big_smile

Well, I was at a party last night and was discussing upcoming legendary Lemons cars, and some killjoy was harshing my mellow by saying "I'll believe the Radial Lemons Car when I see proof that the engine actually runs!"

hahaha, no way, as we all know, some people show up at the track, and even go through tech inspection with a dun blow'd up engine! i seem to remember the sixers for one of the early CMP races didnt even have a running car til they pulled it off the trailer.

Judge Phil wrote:

Well, I was at a party last night and was discussing upcoming legendary Lemons cars, and some killjoy was harshing my mellow by saying "I'll believe the Radial Lemons Car when I see proof that the engine actually runs!"

any mention of the Black Ops?

Judge Phil wrote:

no, it has not run yet. but mostly because i was unable to find a way to hold the engine securely to do so. and i was also unable to mount a starter on the radial engine

the starter is mounted on the subi trans and transfers power through the transfer case to the engine.

it does turn over and it has compression. everything else is meaningless details!

141 (edited by Bonedriver 2011-01-31 02:38 AM)

If anything mount pedals and a bicycle chain and get a boombox blairing sound effects from the Flying Tigers... complete with machine guns!!!

Owner #132 Lancia/Toyota Beta/MR2 Scorpion

Hey, rotation and compression are all you need out of it with the other stuff you're doing.  So it's a sure thing!!

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria

dculberson wrote:

Hey, rotation and compression are all you need out of it with the other stuff you're doing.  So it's a sure thing!!

It needs to pump oil also smile but I'm pretty sure it will do that. the internals are stupidly simple on this thing. it uses a dry-sump system with two huge spur gear pumps.

I really think spur gears were the height of technology at the time this thing was made. the timing section looks like the inside of a clock. if I'm lucky it'll sound like supercharger whine. smile

Marc wrote:

if I'm lucky it'll sound like supercharger whine. smile

You'll be lucky if you can hear anything if you're running it in it's original unmuffled configuration.

Is there a noise limit for Lemons?

-Victor

sublimate wrote:

Yes.  The exact amount sometimes depends on the track, but the rules specify 92db.

3.12: Noise Limit: Our noise limit is 92dB @50 feet @ W.O.T. What that boils down to is no straight pipes allowed; please use at least one muffler or resonator. With these heaps, a single Cherry Bomb or Supertrapp is usually plenty.

sublimate wrote:
Marc wrote:

if I'm lucky it'll sound like supercharger whine. smile

You'll be lucky if you can hear anything if you're running it in it's original unmuffled configuration.

yeah, i plan on running the original shorty pipes configuration unless i exceed the noise limit. if necessary i'll run as small of a resonator as possible to bring the level down to an acceptable margin. i want this thing to sound like a plane

Where are you located?  I would love to help with an exhaust system.  But I'm probably not close enough.

I'm in fort wayne indiana.

I'd gladly put someone to work if they want to help.

Shoot.  I'm in Columbus, OH; a good bit too far for me.

A commercial restaurant vent hood exhaust fan bolted to the hood should move just enough air to keep this thing from overheating.  Harbor freight generator to run that, and bonus points for rigging a hot air popcorn cooker on the hot air coming off the engine.

How about borescoping the jugs and running a compression test for burned valves?

"You can’t make a pig into a race car, but you can make a very fast pig."