Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

Team BenzGay wrote:

A commercial restaurant vent hood exhaust fan bolted to the hood should move just enough air to keep this thing from overheating.  Harbor freight generator to run that, and bonus points for rigging a hot air popcorn cooker on the hot air coming off the engine.

How about borescoping the jugs and running a compression test for burned valves?

no need for a bore scope. i completely dissembled it and resembled it. best i could tell, it had been sitting for 66 years without running.

All it needs to do is 50 feet on the race track. Wait, all it needs to do is make a bunch of noise on the trailer!

153 (edited by Marc 2011-01-31 02:51 PM)

Judge Phil wrote:

All it needs to do is 50 feet on the race track. Wait, all it needs to do is make a bunch of noise on the trailer!

if it only does 50' i'll have an angry mob of 4 racers after me for ruining their race weekend.

but if it goes the whole weekend, someone better buy stock in windshield cleaner fluid. this thing should consume a quart of oil about every 6-7 minutes.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUP-407-2500/

I put a pair of these on my dual straight-pipe exhaust RX-7 with a half-bridge engine. Or you can DIY with some tuna can lids and 3/16"x3" bolts & washers.

EriktheAwful wrote:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUP-407-2500/

I put a pair of these on my dual straight-pipe exhaust RX-7 with a half-bridge engine. Or you can DIY with some tuna can lids and 3/16"x3" bolts & washers.

I forgot about the supertrapps. those things sound awfull but the price might fit the budget if it's just a bit too loud.

don't worry about a muffler budget. actually, depending on how the engine's laid out just directly attach one cherrybomb per cylinder, pointed straight up!

Serj wrote:

don't worry about a muffler budget. actually, depending on how the engine's laid out just directly attach one cherrybomb per cylinder, pointed straight up!

oh i'm not worried about the budget for the sake of the judges. they've already given me a green light. i'm worried about my wallet smile

anyways. got in the shop tonight, made up a bunch of brackets for the new rear crossmember to hold the subi transmission and the stock lower control arms/toe arms. nothing much to show. there should be crossmember to show in the next couple days.

Hell, even if it won't run, you can make a pretty penny afterwards

http://cgi.ebay.com/JACOBS-RADIAL-ENGIN … 27b85f9cd9

Maximum Efforts Motorsports
Mid-Engine Chevette
S-10 incoming...

Marc wrote:

but if it goes the whole weekend, someone better buy stock in windshield cleaner fluid. this thing should consume a quart of oil about every 6-7 minutes.

I'd say that is a good estimate.  There was a 562 hour Cessna 185 (520 c.i. flat six) in my hangar that sat for five years.  New owner checked out engine and flew it twelve hours to Alaska, consuming a case of oil on the trip up.

"You can’t make a pig into a race car, but you can make a very fast pig."

that oil consumption message had me laughing out loud.......but i know it's probably true.

Are you guys planning to come to either of the new england races?   we removed our windshield washer system, and i want to know if we have to reinstall it!

Maximum Effort Motorsports - Mid-engine 1979 Chevette - Class C Winner - GP Du Lac Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
New England Long Winter Build Award - 2015
IOE Winner, Loudon Annoying 2011, Judges Choice - Loudon Annoying 2012
Class C & Least Horrible Yank Tank winner - Boston Tow Party & Overhead Cam Bake 2011

161 (edited by Marc 2011-02-01 03:33 PM)

mike944 wrote:

that oil consumption message had me laughing out loud.......but i know it's probably true.

Are you guys planning to come to either of the new england races?   we removed our windshield washer system, and i want to know if we have to reinstall it!

We haven't run it yet so we don't know how true it is. but that's what the "normal operating conditions" says... 2.5gal/hr oil consumption.

we are trying to hit gingerman and autobahn with it.

that being said, i'd strongly suggest you get that back on there. there are several instances where ours has come in handy in the past.

should i put together a care package (gallons of oil/beer) and come over to see the beast? I live in Toledo...

Serj wrote:

should i put together a care package (gallons of oil/beer) and come over to see the beast? I live in Toledo...

I'm more of a whiskey drinker than a beer drinker smile and i'll probably buy the oil by the mini barrel here locally. it looks like a weekend (a little practice plus the entire race) is going to be about 40 gallons. i don't think i want to carry 160 quarts of oil smile

you're more than welcome to drop by and check it out, but i'd suggest waiting a few weeks, it should look more like an airplane car by that point

well, I've got the main transmission mount done. and i dropped the engine on top of it, it looks like it's all going to physically fit inside the chassis!

leaving you guys with a few pictures while i run off to the machine shop to cut more brackets to mount the motor.

http://www.frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/IMG_0030.jpg
http://www.frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/IMG_0031.jpg

to make everything fit, the transmission had to be mounted pretty close to the ground. i'll have to build a skid under it because if someone sets a tire off the track at a spot where there's a 3-4" dip it might hit.

Looks sweet.

Are you going to put a prop on it - to keep it cool at least if not for the overall coolness?

-Victor

sublimate wrote:

Looks sweet.

Are you going to put a prop on it - to keep it cool at least if not for the overall coolness?

if i can get my hands on a prop i'd probably mount it statically on the front bumper. but there's no way the judges would let a spinning prop be Lemons legal.

I got the front engine mount done and got a few pics now that the mounting angle is adjusted.

I also threw on one of the heads to give perspective about what you'll see sticking out of the body.

http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/IMG_0032.jpg
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/IMG_0033.jpg
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/IMG_0034.jpg
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/IMG_0036.jpg

and that's it for this weekend's progress.

Marc wrote:

... but there's no way the judges would let a spinning prop be Lemons legal.

It's just a cooling fan - all cars have 'em.  It'll just be a little longer...  and made of wood (actually lots of fans are metal, so that shouldn't be a problem).

Seriously, as you probably know, cooling is likely going to be your biggest problem.  Those big jugs are used to being fully exposed to the public in a constant nippy airstream.  Do you have some serious ducting planned?  You also might rig up a misting system, just in case.

-Victor

sublimate wrote:
Marc wrote:

... but there's no way the judges would let a spinning prop be Lemons legal.

It's just a cooling fan - all cars have 'em.  It'll just be a little longer...  and made of wood (actually lots of fans are metal, so that shouldn't be a problem).

Seriously, as you probably know, cooling is likely going to be your biggest problem.  Those big jugs are used to being fully exposed to the public in a constant nippy airstream.  Do you have some serious ducting planned?  You also might rig up a misting system, just in case.

Yeah, I know cooling will be an issue. I've got a few ideas to tackle it, but it does scare me that i don't have a definite solution for it yet.

my first plan is to cool the heck out of the oil and use some serious water injection.

the motor is rated to a head temperature of 550*F which will help quite a bit.

If all that fails, i'll work on some ducting and some fans

I always recommend the electric cooling fans out of 70s/80s BMW 7 Series cars. They move hurricanes of air, they're pretty compact, and you can usually find them in the junkyard. Only drawback is that they draw monster amps, especially when you have one per cylinder, but you'll sort that out.

Judge Phil wrote:

I always recommend the electric cooling fans out of 70s/80s BMW 7 Series cars. They move hurricanes of air, they're pretty compact, and you can usually find them in the junkyard. Only drawback is that they draw monster amps, especially when you have one per cylinder, but you'll sort that out.

i definitely have room for extra alternators. any idea what kind of current they draw?

Taurus 3.8 fans are also good to find.  Huge CFMs, junkyards are full of them

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

Marc, I thought you were first, but this is 1/2 the weight and twice the motor!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2V7B7-g … h_response

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Spinnetti wrote:

Marc, I thought you were first, but this is 1/2 the weight and twice the motor!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2V7B7-g … h_response

that thing was my inspiration.

i'm not worthy, i am not making the gearbox from scratch smile

This project is so unbelievably awesome. I was really hoping this car would make it to the CT race, but i'm willing to travel to see it.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice