Topic: Questions about spectators

So, a bunch of friends and family have mentioned how much they would like to come out and see the race (we're going to be at Stafford in July). Since this is our first race I'm wondering what there is for spectators to do, and if they should bring anything? Food, water, seats? Etc.

Also, do they need to buy tickets online ahead of time, or can they just buy them when they show up? I'm a little reluctant to recomend they get a weekend pass, incase our car pukes it's guts out on Saturday or something.

Also, if anyone has any general advice on the non-racing parts of the spectacle, we'd love to hear it.

Re: Questions about spectators

trlstanc wrote:

So, a bunch of friends and family have mentioned how much they would like to come out and see the race (we're going to be at Stafford in July). Since this is our first race I'm wondering what there is for spectators to do, and if they should bring anything? Food, water, seats? Etc.

Also, do they need to buy tickets online ahead of time, or can they just buy them when they show up? I'm a little reluctant to recomend they get a weekend pass, incase our car pukes it's guts out on Saturday or something.

Also, if anyone has any general advice on the non-racing parts of the spectacle, we'd love to hear it.

Find a seat close to judging... my wife had a GREAT time watching the penalties.  There is only so much track you can see from the pits, but the penalties NEVER get old.  We brought folding camp chairs, and they found a place where they could see judging and the track.

FreeRange wrote:

Find a seat close to judging... my wife had a GREAT time watching the penalties.  There is only so much track you can see from the pits, but the penalties NEVER get old.  We brought folding camp chairs, and they found a place where they could see judging and the track.

That's sound advice. After our car died at Reno, I spent quite a bit of time hanging in the penalty area - something I haven't had a chance to do while racing. It was definitely pretty damn entertaining.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

lots of beer and sunscreen

As a 2-time spectator/amateur photgrapher at Lemons with no team affiliation (until now), here's what I've got...

Friday: BS and practice can be pretty entertaining

Sat:
The first 2-3 hours of racing are pretty entertaining as there's lots of breakage and chaos due to a bigger, inexperienced field.

After that, depending on what you can see of the track, it gets a little slow. I recommend lunch and then hanging out near judging. Not only will you see some hilarious penalties, you can usually hear what's up over the staffs' radios.

Not much to be missed if you take off early on Sat.

Sunday: Both The Curse and awards ceremony are not to be missed.

The pits are more interesting than the track, as cars are in worse and worse shape ("We've only got 3rd gear!").

Dunno Stafford specifically, but you'll probably want to bring food (or $$$ for track food), water, sunblock, and something like a magazine for the slower times (lots of laps under yellow). Chairs would be a good idea. Binoculars if they've got them.

There are those who call me...Judge Tim
Previously: Der Uberbird! BMW 633CSi
"When life gives you Lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you crap, don't make a beverage out of it."

So, can spectators just show up and pay? Or should I tell people to buy tickets ahead of time?

Also, for people who did Stafford last year, is there a prefered hotel nearby? Or do most people end up camping or something?

You can pay at gate at all the other races check with Nick or Jay .

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Yeah, you can buy online or at the gate....

How about for pit passes. Is today the deadline for non-drivers for New England or can they buy them that day?

Team Victors of War (those idiots in the wife-beaters and white pants)

Don't need to be on the crew to buy a spectator pit pass which has been cheaper at all the races I've done. Only if they will be working on the car do they need to be a crew member.

2nd that spectating the paddock and penalty box is essential.

Track view is a factor. Great things about Altamont included full view of the course for spectators. Never a dull moment and a blast to watch. The bigger courses where the field spreads out and are partially obscured are still great fun to watch. Upside-down and on fire seemed pretty frequent at Thunderhill, and the Porsche the wiped coming of the front straight was fab. (Am I the only one who likes chicanes?)

It also is more involving if you check the standings to see who your team is competing with and who are top contenders.

WINWAR wrote:

How about for pit passes. Is today the deadline for non-drivers for New England or can they buy them that day?

Yeah, there's a difference between crew and spectator passes--if you're just coming to spectate, you get full access to the paddock but you can't work on cars (it's a different wristband), and you don't get a t-shirt. You can buy that at the gate on race day.

The crew pass you need to buy now via your team web page. You can buy one at the gate but we don't really have a good way of handling that--it'll involve a lot of waiting for Jay to come out of his luxury trailer.

Is this Jay's "luxury trailer"?

http://raymondpronk.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/porta-potty.jpg

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Wow. Baller. Jay has a quadrople wide now?! Must be all the money he's saving by not claiming any of the racer's crap cans. tongue

Justin
Team Cardorks: #901 Amtrack E36 / # 902 Philly E30 / #903 Integra TypeArrr!
Driving something, somewhere.

One note for Stafford: the bleachers are high and plentiful, and you get a great view of the whole track up there.  No need for chairs unless you want them in the pits.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

The crew pass you need to buy now via your team web page. You can buy one at the gate but we don't really have a good way of handling that--it'll involve a lot of waiting for Jay to come out of his luxury trailer.

crud. thats pretty much our entire crew. i'll have to tell them to bring something to loosen the bureaucratic cogs

Holton St Eurotrash
84ish porsche 924s
- ct 10 ate bolt, heroic fix.
- nh 11 1st to cover track in oil.

Me too. Our "wrench man" wont give me a straight answer so now we have no one. The database is locked for NE right? Looks like we go to plan B...anyone have a plan B:-)

WINWAR wrote:

Me too. Our "wrench man" wont give me a straight answer so now we have no one. The database is locked for NE right? Looks like we go to plan B...anyone have a plan B:-)

Yeah I had like 10 "wrench men" that wanted to help... When it came time to buck up (cause I sure as hell am not PAYING for someone who wants to work on my Lemons ride) nobody did, so its just the 6 of us drivers, which honestly is perfectly fine.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

I think we will be in the same boat. I just dont want to have to hop out of the car after my stint of driving and have to change an axle or something. Rather worry about racing.

WINWAR wrote:

I just dont want to have to hop out of the car after my stint of driving and have to change an axle or something.

You realize that this is a Lemons race, right?  Our team had to do exactly this.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

WINWAR wrote:

I think we will be in the same boat. I just dont want to have to hop out of the car after my stint of driving and have to change an axle or something. Rather worry about racing.

What, you only want HALF the Lemons experience???

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

I hear you on that. Got home at 7am yesterday building the cage in our car all night. The only problem is that i am the only one that knows the car putting it all on me...I'm also a control freak so I guess I'd be doing the work myself anyway:-)

Sounds self inflicted.  So you've denied you're teamates HALF of the Lemons experience.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

It is self inflicted but what can you do. Two of our drivers are out of state but the other three try and lend a hand when they can. I know the car though and thats something you really cant teach someone is a matter of weeks. At least they all can change tires though:-)