Topic: Pipe Dream! Lemons at Laguna Seca?

i would drag our POS car half way across the country to race there.  Anyone else?

Nick, Get Jay on that for us please.

It's a Miata, get him........

Re: Pipe Dream! Lemons at Laguna Seca?

what would be the over/under on the number of cars that fly off through the corkscrew?

eljefe17 wrote:

what would be the over/under on the number of cars that fly off through the corkscrew?

What is 100% Alex.
I'll take "corkscrews of death" for $400 please.

weaksauce wrote:

Wouldn't that be for $500 (or more if you properly bribed the judges)?

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Jeff G 78 wrote:
weaksauce wrote:

Wouldn't that be for $500 (or more if you properly bribed the judges)?

point taken

Seriously though. i would cut off one of my team mates nuts to race there.  ( I can think of one or two who shouldn't reproduce anyways...)
big_smile

for that, i would participate.

arse-sweat-apalosa thunderhill 2011 : team killer zomBee!

jerjozwik wrote:

for that, i would participate.

Nut snipper or snipee?

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

8 (edited by Mulry 2009-06-19 09:35 PM)

I wouldn't hold my breath on this. I was watching something on SpeedTV last weekend talking about the upcoming MotoGP and AMA motorcycle races at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. The guy was interviewing the executive director and she was saying that because Laguna Seca is owned by some county in California and is located entirely inside a county park (or state park?), they have very heavy restrictions on the number of race dates and events that they can hold; for now, they can only hold something like 5 or 6 big race weekends a year. Does Lemons count as a big race weekend or is it something more akin to a local event in their eyes? Who knows. Plus it looks like with the Skip Barber school out there and other stuff, their schedule is pretty packed.

Then again, maybe the Concours d'Lemons will turn all those Monterey folks around and they'll decide that we should run alongside the Rolex Historics. smile It would be awfully cool to run the Lemons cars on the corkscrew.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

eljefe17 wrote:

The corkscrew's actually pretty slow. It's the five furiously fast turns immediately AFTER the Corkscrew (and especially the insane left harder before the front straight) that will slaughter half the field within hour one.

Obviously, we're pushing hard for Laguna Seca.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

I'm ready.  Lemons has already exceeded all reasonable expectations by running full roadrace courses at real race speeds.  Why not throw in an event at a world famous race course to round it off?

What a great race series this Lemons thing is.  Yay Jay.

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

Not while they have a strictly enforced 92db sound limit. Plus its features some very fast turns (1, 6, 9) which would be difficult to Lemons proof.

Team Formula BMW
Finishing order: 44th, 44th, 19th, 10th, 5th, 10th, 5th
We will win some day smile

Most LeMonsters are way under 92db.  I know the Gnome is.

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

rnr wrote:

Plus its features some very fast turns (1, 6, 9) which would be difficult to Lemons proof.

The first time I drove Laguna, six was the most intimidating. I was thinking, "man, you could really bust your ass here...."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NshkPXziuac

Walls+speed+the occasional well-placed bump makes Laguna a tricky one for Lemons. Sears Point is probably more realistic.

Corkscrew is easy...but the gravel just offline is deep.

Turns 6 and 9 are the scary fast corners.

Steve

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:
rnr wrote:

Plus its features some very fast turns (1, 6, 9) which would be difficult to Lemons proof.

The first time I drove Laguna, six was the most intimidating. I was thinking, "man, you could really bust your ass here...."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NshkPXziuac

Walls+speed+the occasional well-placed bump makes Laguna a tricky one for Lemons. Sears Point is probably more realistic.

It would make for a good Johnny Cash-themed car though. It would have to be all-black classic Detroit iron, which would make it inevitable that it would say...

"Hello, Walls."

Thank you! I'll be here all week! Please tip your server, they work hard for the money...

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

If only that was a Johnny Cash song.  Google told me it's Faron Young, but I knew it's not Johnny Cash.

Property Devaluation Racing

Drivers wanted for TX races

To me, Infineon is much uglier because there are far more walls you can reach with a lot of speed.  At Laguna, at least, the walls are a bit farther away and there's gravel which can hopefully suck you in.  The trouble is, at Laguna, that if you get just a couple of feet off track the gravel ALSO sucks you in and you have to be towed out.  I've literally had my front wheels on asphalt and needed a tow before because the rear of the car was bogged down in gravel.

Steve

SteveLevin wrote:

To me, Infineon is much uglier because there are far more walls you can reach with a lot of speed.  At Laguna, at least, the walls are a bit farther away and there's gravel which can hopefully suck you in.  The trouble is, at Laguna, that if you get just a couple of feet off track the gravel ALSO sucks you in and you have to be towed out.  I've literally had my front wheels on asphalt and needed a tow before because the rear of the car was bogged down in gravel.

Steve

but man would it be fun!

Nick, are you guys looking to expand the number of tracks/events a year, or is what you currently have going the ideal setup for you guys?

weaksauce wrote:

Nick, are you guys looking to expand the number of tracks/events a year, or is what you currently have going the ideal setup for you guys?

There's a pretty good chance we'll expand a bit more in 2010. Stay tuned!

Just what a junkie needs, more juice. Please please please bring a race to North Texas! MotorSport Ranch Cresson or Eagle's Canyon would both be great. Please, pretty please, with sugar on top.

But not in June/July/August. It's brutal out there right now.

New Hampshire Motor Speedway.
http://www.nhms.com/

I think we need to have the race on city streets. Put out some cones, some hay bales: ready to go!

MurileeMartin wrote:

I think we need to have the race on city streets. Put out some cones, some hay bales: ready to go!

They close the streets of Manhattan for bikes (Five Boro Bike Tour), so why not crapheaps:
http://bikenewyork.org/

Mosport Park, Toronto.....great history and you haven't lived until you've tried Turn Two. Not busy these days either. Stirling Moss co-designed the course with Fifties-era Brit sports cars in mind, so it's a natural. Need a chicane in the Andretti Straight though. Ask Manfred  Winkelhock.

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Ever considered Texas World Speedway near College Station, TX? It actually has quite a history, and it's closer to DFW than Angleton. (Not meant in any way to disparage Angleton, they're about equidistant from me)