Re: What Trophy Do You, the Little People, Care About?

rocketresto wrote:

Yep, think we were the only two cars in the race that had to add weight to the car to make it handle right.  We have two cylinder heads (50 pounds a piece) and an old Cop Car weight transfer box in the back that is another 50 pounds.

We had a bulky bumper & receiver hitch to add weight.  I'm considering maybe adding a motorcycle to the bed.

Anyway, you guys & the Cadillac were way more horrible than we were. Wait... is that a compliment here?  I'm not sure.

More on topic:
I like the IOE, and any similar awards.  I think there might be room for a Jon Lovitz award for the tallest tale in tech (I'd love to hear it anyway), a white elephant award for the most obscure car, a barcode award for the most generic, lamest e30/miata/whatever cheatermobile, and maybe a rubber donut award for the longest tow.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

RichVS wrote:

I think there might be room for a Jon Lovitz award for the tallest tale in tech (I'd love to hear it anyway)

That's the ticket!

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Hmm, forgot to mention my favorite trophy: Index of Effluency.

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

How about adding Best Theme and Spirit of Lemons awards. 

-Scott

Scott Barton

Since no one else seems to have said it...  At the other end of the IoE, I like to see who wins.  $500 cars, a packed track, [mostly] amateur drivers, and an endurance race...  What's not to like there?  It's because of these things that you get to see wheels fall off, radiators explode, spin-outs and general carnage on track. 

If people weren't chasing the checkers, it would be a couple of lapping days for art cars and I like to see who has the best durable, fastest, and best driven car.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

agreed.  IoE is fun, but i'd kind of like to be one of the guys whose crapheap went further than every other crapheap.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

my stupid crapheap won't die!!  but she is a little pissed and the body is all tweaked. I actually got a trophy for it at a local car show proceeds going to the troops .
It was for best ratrod

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Assuredly, IoE is the best of all.

I like the idea for a tall tale in tech trophy.

A trophy for theme would be quite fine. The Martini guys at NE were outstanding.

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

RobL wrote:

Since no one else seems to have said it...  At the other end of the IoE, I like to see who wins.  $500 cars, a packed track, [mostly] amateur drivers, and an endurance race...  What's not to like there?  It's because of these things that you get to see wheels fall off, radiators explode, spin-outs and general carnage on track. 

If people weren't chasing the checkers, it would be a couple of lapping days for art cars and I like to see who has the best durable, fastest, and best driven car.

I agree.  If it wasn't a race then it would just become a sort of Burning Man kind of thing.  Just add glow sticks and techno music....

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

GnomeFabTech wrote:
RobL wrote:

I agree.  If it wasn't a race then it would just become a sort of Burning Man kind of thing.  Just add glow sticks and techno music....

Whatever, Cheaty McCheat-Cheat

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Rob Stercraw wrote:

Yeah, watching the horse silhouette of Team Phony Express come up over the ridge at Reno-Fernley with a backdrop of the setting sun was truly awesome...

Kinda like this...
Riders on the Ridge

Team photographer and "sure I'll drive" hanger-on: more races than I ever imagined... MRolla/FX32/Mormon Meteor IV
http://www.facebook.com/StickFigureRacing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkiel/coll … 604631509/
http://www.jkiel.com/

62 (edited by Spank 2009-07-18 09:34 PM)

GnomeFabTech wrote:

I think the car to do it will be both British, and turbo.  LOL

I can make that happen at Buttonwillow this year... And under 1 liter (a whopping 998 cc).

But just because I CAN, does it mean that I SHOULD?

http://jalopnik.com/5317486/austin-mini … istrionics

--Spank

Judge Jonny wrote:
GnomeFabTech wrote:
RobL wrote:

Whatever, Cheaty McCheat-Cheat

Yeah, whatever.  I read the website.  They call this a race, so race we will.

Run along now, isn't there some new Icelandic micro-brew that needs you to judge the shit out of it?

By the way, the Gnome is back on all 4's.  One ball joint, $7.  LOL

Who wants to take bets on the Gnome versus the Mini?

I do.

Next we are going to see golf carts out there !!

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

MurileeMartin wrote:

Who wants to take bets on the Gnome versus the Mini?

Oh the gnome, for sure. Besides hasn't it already won once before? We're running the ol' A-series 4 banger... Thinking about slapping a turbo on it just to see on what lap it'll blow up but all I've got is a suspect T3 turbo and the anemic 998 A-series likely won't be able to spin it up.

We briefly thought about putting in the 85 D-series honda I have left over from my reverse vtec swap (put a 848cc mini engine and transmission in a Honda CRX since it's become all too popular to put a B16 vtec in a classic mini). And actually the hyabusa mid-engined mini has also just about run its course as the fad of the day in the mini community.

Maybe if we survive this first attempt and get some track experience we'll try something more "risky" later on... as if running a 50 year old (or older) design single cam in block pushrod siamesed port transversely mounted 4 cylinder that uses the engine's oil to lubricate the 3-syncro tranny isn't risky enough. Oh, and toss in Lucas electrics and an SU carburetor all running on 10-inch "trailer" wheels...

68 (edited by MurileeMartin 2009-07-19 09:28 PM)

Spank wrote:

Oh, and toss in Lucas electrics

You're not tearing out the Lucas electrics and replacing them with something more reliable (like, say, Renault Le Car electrics, or maybe knob-and-tube 1911 household wiring)? Come on, it's easy!

http://jalopnik.com/assets/resources/2008/04/Gauge_Panel_Rear.jpg]

Or, if you prefer wiring done in the style of a large office building...

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/12/2008/10/340x_BelvWire-Glovebox1.jpg

What exactly is "Dangerous Banned Technology"

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

70 (edited by RobL 2009-08-06 08:06 PM)

Riktor wrote:

Is it banned in F1?  Is it likely to be banned in Lemons?  You have a shot at winning that prize.

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

RobL wrote:
Riktor wrote:

Is it banned in F1?  Is it likely to be banned in Lemons?  You have a shot at winning that prize.

So nitrous oxide and alchohol injection might fit?

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

you can't afford nitrous oxide and alcohol injection for under $500.  Now, if you had a bottle of jack daniels bolted to your intake with a rabbit-water-thinggie to give you 'alcohol injection' you would have a hell of a chance!

troubleonwheels wrote:

you can't afford nitrous oxide and alcohol injection for under $500.  Now, if you had a bottle of jack daniels bolted to your intake with a rabbit-water-thinggie to give you 'alcohol injection' you would have a hell of a chance!

WHAAA?!! I think you under estimate my scavenging and engineering abilities...

Sons of STIG

The cost of nitrous is prohibitively expensive.  alcohol could be done, but the JD would be way way better.

Well neither of those technologies are that interesting nor really dangerious.  FYI - I could do water/alcohol injection for under $20. 

For example, at CMP this year, the Banned Technology was a "sucker car."  The car had a second engine that drove a giant fan [pictured] which pulled air from under the car.  To help create a good seal, there was a giant skirt under the car. 

http://jalopnik.com/assets/images/gallery/12/2009/04/medium_3454167921_5ce1337dfe_o.jpg