Topic: Im in trouble

with the dead line tomorrow and there still being a few electrical gremlins to iron out in our vehicle some of my team members are getting cold feet (i think one can be written off now). This is bad with the locking database an all. I'm, still more then confident enough (fueled by the same bravado and idiocy as day 1). but am i really screwed if half my drivers up and bolt on me before the race but after the deadline. if we end up being a team of 2 drivers and a bunch of pit crew, is that it, just the side lines for us? I'm worried great Lemons veterans, and beseech you for advice on my latest perils!

Holton St Eurotrash
84ish porsche 924s
- ct 10 ate bolt, heroic fix.
- nh 11 1st to cover track in oil.

Re: Im in trouble

Join the club, everyone who has done this for the first time will tell you that the stress will kill you. For our first team we didn't have a car until a week before the deadline. Our team captain had three guys that said they wanted to race, they backed out so he invited me to join (Best thing I have done) we were able to pick up two other drivers and get the car ready for the race. Your problems with wiring can be posted in a form of a question to pretty much anyone on this board and if they don't have the answer they will know who does. You are not stuck with those drivers, keep them on the application for now. If you need to change up people you have until two weeks before the race to make final decisions. Our last race at Reno the engine blew the day before the race, hey it's Lemons. For our next race I am short one driver so my wife will be joining the team, this is one way to make sure you qualify for the race.
This is your chance to race in one hell of a fun sport with some of the best support from your direct competition. Do Not Give Up!

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

where's the trouble? I know something about electrics

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

get accepted then worry about the rest   thats what this race is all about  dont over think it

If you have a team and a theme, you are golden.  You have ten whole weeks to get the car ready.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

only 2.5 weeks till newengland friend

Holton St Eurotrash
84ish porsche 924s
- ct 10 ate bolt, heroic fix.
- nh 11 1st to cover track in oil.

I pretty sure he is talking about the New England race - they are locking the driver database tomorrow which means no more driver changes for the accepted teams.

If you post what kind of car you have and the type of electrical trouble, I'm sure someone can help you out.

If not...  Get the car to the track and someone might be able to help you out there.  I know that I'm getting to the track sometime on Friday and might be able to look at it in between beers.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Something I told myself last year every time we had a driver drop out (which was often) was "you will not have a shortage of eager drivers".  And it was true: we eventually filled up to 6 drivers like we had planned.  People will jump at a chance to get hours of wheel-to-wheel seat time for $500, though it can be hard when you're a first-timer.

With this forum available and Lemons having been exposed to a wider and wider set of people, you will ALWAYS be able to recruit some randoms off the internet if you are unable to recruit via your own friend network.  This year, we've got the opposite problem: now that everyone on the team last year has told their friends about Lemons, we have way too many people that want to drive, even though we've got a 2nd car and are running 6 drivers per car.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

Mechafishy wrote:

only 2.5 weeks till newengland friend

Did you post your driver needs to the Human Resources forum?

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

10 (edited by Troy 2009-06-23 10:13 PM)

Funny how so many team mates don't quite understand the concept of "team."

Our first race with our first car, the car wasn't together until Tuesday or Wednesday before the race.

The second race, the engine siezed while testing 2 weeks out.  We help another team too and the week of the race we were frantically trying to get both cars ready.

The third race, we added the second car which was barely together in time to leave for the race.  I don't recall what all we did the week of the race, I just know we worked on the car like mad men.  Unfortunately, it blew a head gasket.

Last week we worked on both cars every night past midnight to have them together to do a track event.  The engine with the blown head gasket got replaced and my vibration was from the transmission.

Point is, we want to be ready early this time but it has never happened before. 

The whiners ready to quit are probably bitching up a storm.  If my initial team wrenched as well as they bitched, we would be phenominal.  Unfortunately, all this leads to stress, irritation and drama.

Welcome to Lemons.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

We try to get ahead of the curve by starting early.  Much of the work on our cars was done over the long cold lonely winter when there ain't shit to do in Pennsylvania.   Even now we are putting the finishing touches on the Craptation, and the CoROLLa is being tested Sunday, months before the CMP race.  I hate last minute stuff when it can be avoided.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Troy wrote:

Funny how so many team mates don't quite understand the concept of "team."

My team was great. We got together once or twice a week, made a list of things to do, and got everything together on time. This happened twice before our last two races. Then since our last race, my best three workers all moved away (the closest one being about 65 miles away). So now I'm pretty much on my own. Thank goodness our car is in decent shape, because I'd be stressing a lot more if it wasn't. My nearest driver lives 100 miles away (in L.A.)!

</pity party>

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

13 (edited by MurileeMartin 2009-06-24 11:56 AM)

http://jalopnik.com/assets/images/gallery/12/2008/10/thumb800x800_2973963542_3fe6000055_o.jpg

Just put a giant joint on the roof of your car and wear tie-dyed team T-shirts. Totally cuts down the stress level.