Topic: Car Claiming: What really goes down?

As we all know, Lemons is a claiming race. However, to my knowledge, there haven't been any super-cheater-way-more-than-$500 cars that have (a) survived 2 days of on track shenanigans and (b) escaped the wrath of the People's Curse in order to make it to the end of the race and thus be claimed by wrathful competitors or, more likely, Jay Lamm or Justice Leiberman.

HOWEVER, in the event that (a) and (b) both magically occur, what are the rules and procedure? Does the buyer purchase the vehicle as-is, including all the spendy safety goodies, or does the seller have an opportunity to pull out that nice Sparco seat and the roll cage he spent many sweaty nights welding together? You could spend HOURS doing all of that, then leave your buyer with a car they'd have to trailer home. What about payment - cash only? Nickles?

I demand clarity!

2 (edited by RobL 2009-06-24 06:39 AM)

Re: Car Claiming: What really goes down?

It is not a claiming race.  The ORGANIZERS always have the option of claiming a car but not other competitors.

1.4: Claiming Race: At the end of the competition, the organizer--and nobody else, you lazy, better-car-wantin' bastids-- may elect to purchase any vehicle from its owner(s) for $500. In other words, don't spend a lot on a cheater, cause if you do, you ain't gonna own it much longer.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Not to encourage cheating, but IIRC, no car has ever been claimed.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

You are correct.  I maintain that a claiming a cheater car or two would probably cut down the cheating to a very large extent.

Proudly pissing off Pick 'n Pull employees since 1991
Team The Homer

1981 Ford Fairmont Durango

Maybe the winner of the I Got Screwed award should be able to claim a car....that way if they're totally pooched, they can enter the next race without having to start from scratch......

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Rob Stercraw wrote:
Mulry wrote:

You are correct.  I maintain that a claiming a cheater car or two would probably cut down the cheating to a very large extent.

agreed.  and honestly, Jay & Co. could probably immediately resell some of those cheater cars to another team for a profit.  i imagine some people would have ponied up for the cheater 'Stang at CMP, or any of the now-crushed miotters.  that would deter cheating and prevent the organizers from having to drag the thing with them back to Cali.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

I suspect that claim-and-resell could run into some nasty legal complexities. If a team is frosty enough to trailer their car rather than submit to the Curse, there's little doubt in my mind that they would send the lawyers to the ramparts to contest a claim. Jay and crew surely look forward to litigation as much as they look forward to a root canal sans nitrous.

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

I suspect that claim-and-resell could run into some nasty legal complexities. If a team is frosty enough to trailer their car rather than submit to the Curse, there's little doubt in my mind that they would send the lawyers to the ramparts to contest a claim. Jay and crew surely look forward to litigation as much as they look forward to a root canal sans nitrous.

Probably.  Asshats.

Team The Homer

Mulry wrote:

The lawyers would have no ground to stand on, you agree to the rules when you sign up and that includes the sale of your car rule.  They can throw all the lawyers they want at it for a $500 car, Jay can countersue and win.... He could make out with a great Lemons ride and a few bucks!

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

10 (edited by Mulry 2009-06-24 12:31 PM)

RogueLeader wrote:

The lawyers would have no ground to stand on, you agree to the rules when you sign up and that includes the sale of your car rule.  They can throw all the lawyers they want at it for a $500 car, Jay can countersue and win.... He could make out with a great Lemons ride and a few bucks!

I don't necessarily disagree with your conclusion, but the point is that Jay wouldn't want the hassle. It's about a million times easier to say "Jay can countersue and win" than it is to achieve that result.

11 (edited by Buzz Killington 2009-06-24 12:41 PM)

and it's really easy to imagine that someone would sue than to actually do it.  why would claiming a car under the rules be any different than actually crushing someone's car?

couldn't some team sue Jay (actually, Driver's Door) for destruction of property?  sure.  has anyone?  nope.  will anyone?  unlikely.  has that slight possibility deterred them from crushing cars?  not that i've seen.

hell, if the car was claimed at least the team would get $500.  peoples' curse "winners" get squat (but they do get to keep the car, i suppose).

Mulry wrote:

I suspect that claim-and-resell could run into some nasty legal complexities.

dunno what those would be.  the language of the rules is pretty clear.  by running in the race, you agree to be bound by them.  once the car is bought, it's Jay's to do with as he pleases...it's his property.  the mere fact that someone is upset with someone else doesn't create a legal claim.  and over a $500 car?  i think not...they'd spend 10 times that much just preparing and filing a complaint, which any competent defense lawyer would promptly get dismissed.  i wish my clients had such clear-cut defenses.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

^^^ Damn lawyer.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

13 (edited by Mulry 2009-06-24 01:00 PM)

Buzz, you're right. There are never lawyers who litigate self-righteously on their own behalf for worthless causes. Never.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/ … ortCat=mlb

Buzz Killington wrote:
Mulry wrote:

I suspect that claim-and-resell could run into some nasty legal complexities.

dunno what those would be.

I don't know where you practice, but in Texas it's neither difficult nor expensive to draft and file a lawsuit. We have pretty loose rules about specificity of pleadings and an elected judiciary that is often reluctant to dismiss lawsuits or even grant summary judgment against speculative plaintiffs. It would not be difficult for an aggrieved claimee to make a fraud claim (among others). I'm not saying it's right -- in fact, I'm saying it would be farcical -- but all it takes to file a lawsuit is a lawyer and a filing fee and those aren't all that expensive, especially if you're a lawyer suing on your own behalf.

Bear in mind that if Jay's claiming it, he's claiming it because it's a deliberate and brazen cheater, which means it's not a $500 car.

I don't blame Jay one iota for not enforcing the claim rule. The hassle-to-reward ratio is heavily skewed toward the former. I wish that he would sometimes, but I understand why he would choose not to and let street justice work its magic instead.

The factor that nobody is taking into account here is that Jay doesn't really need any more hoopty-ass cars clogging up his living room (which is where he parks them). That said, the claim threat remains very much alive.

MurileeMartin wrote:

The factor that nobody is taking into account here is that Jay doesn't really need any more hoopty-ass cars clogging up his living room (which is where he parks them). That said, the claim threat remains very much alive.

I don't doubt that...  There is at least *one* spot at his place since the bus left...

haha

Team The Homer

This is a very interesting subject and I have questioned the legality of the Curse, Claiming and the Rules/Contract.

It's been a long time since I had business law but this is an issue of unconscionability.  So out comes the old text book.

This whole issue gets into contracts and Unviersal Commercial Code (UCC).

According to my handy dandy Tenth Edition of Business  Law and the Regulatory Environment Concepts and Cases by more authors than I care to list, "unconscionability is generally taken to mean the absence of meaningful choice together with terms unreasonably advantageous to one of the parties."

So how does this affect the rules/contract with 24 Hours of Lemons/Driver's Door?

If a court finds that a contract or a term in a contract unconscionable, it can do one of three things:
1. it can refuse to enforce the entire agreement
2. it can refuse to enforce the unconscionable provision but enforce the rest of the contract
3. it can "limit the application of the unconscionable clause so as to avoid anyunscionable result."

The last alternative (#3) has been taken by the courts to mean that they can make adjustments in the terms of the contract.

I think you could definately argue a strong case about the curse and claiming to be unconscionable.

The curse is clearly the destruction of private property which is pretty much illegal in all states too.  to the best of my knowledge, a contract can not make an illegal act become legal.

If the curse involved tieing all the members of the cursed team to a pole and letting the crowd beat them with hammers, it wouldn't happen even if it was in the rules.  However a car is not a person and for some reason the mob likes to see a poor innocent and harmless car die for their amusement. 

Claiming is more or less a form of gambling.  So it's leglity is semi-questionable.  However, the $500 price tag is clearly inappropriate and clearly much more advantageous to the purchaser.  If the claimer had to pay fair market value you might get away with it.  Fair market value would include the car purchase, all the safety stuff and prep.  Prep should also include the sweat equity in the car.  So start thinking of a claiming price closer to $10,000.  All the teams free labor should get a price tag put on itand inclided in the price.

In my opinion, a court would find the curse, and $500 claiming unconscionable. 

All the teams that have been cursed have been "good sports" about it.  Phillips taking it twice and running on the third time.  I am not sure if that is a testament to his "sportsmanship" or insanity.

I think I've said more than enough for now.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Can we ban lawyers?  I glazed over at 10 words into the second sentence.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Troy wrote:

This is a very interesting subject and I have questioned the legality of the Curse, Claiming and the Rules/Contract.

It's been a long time since I had business law but this is an issue of unconscionability.  So out comes the old text book

Gibberish, gibberish, gibberish, etc.

You're totally writing that entire screed on your car's hood at Houston. Already got it printed out!

I guess it's a good thing I didn't keep going then.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

20 (edited by bongle 2009-06-24 02:40 PM)

I think a counter to most of the arguments you made, Troy, would be this:
At an event where you are participating in wheel-to-wheel racing, you don't have a reasonable expectation that your car is guaranteed to be worth anything at the end anyway.  Usually half the field have critical failures in their cars within a few hours of the start the race.

A hypothetical lawsuit-er saying "I came to this event AND THEN MY CAR WAS UNFAIRLY DESTROYED RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE" has a pretty weak argument when you consider that if it wasn't people's curse or a claim, he could have lost his car to an accident, fire, or catastrophic mechanical failure in the hours of racing he lost.  At least if your car is claimed, you are compensated.  If your car was simply destroyed in an accident, you don't get squat.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

MurileeMartin wrote:
Troy wrote:

It's been a long time since I had business law but this is an issue of unconscionability.  So out comes the old text book

You're totally writing that entire screed on your car's hood at Houston. Already got it printed out!

lol at Gibberish, gibberish, gibberish, etc.  I - myself started hearing the Charlie Brown teacher "whah whah whah whah whah" which sounds strangely a lot like my ex-wife...

Team The Homer

bongle wrote:

A hypothetical lawsuit-er saying "I came to this event AND THEN MY CAR WAS UNFAIRLY DESTROYED RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE" has a pretty weak argument when you consider that if it wasn't people's curse or a claim, he could have lost his car to an accident, fire, or catastrophic mechanical failure in the hours of racing he lost.  At least if your car is claimed, you are compensated.  If your car was simply destroyed in an accident, you don't get squat.

To Everyone that clings to the arguement that your car could be destroyed in an accident at any time, you are right and you could die at any time too.  However, we don't take a vote and shot someone for good measure. 

Maybe we can put the names of everyone who has made this pathetically lame arguement into a hat.  Draw a name and let them take their chances with an excavator, maybe put them in their car during the curse.  Do you think your cage will hold up a dozer?  I'd rather be in my car on the track, the odds are way better.

Very few cars have died in Lemons due to an accident or fire.  Especially with the much cleaner driving now.  The odds are in your favor.  If you get cursed, the odds are definately not in your favor.

Thankfully, only one unfortunate gentleman died during Lemons due to a heart attack.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

MurileeMartin wrote:
Troy wrote:

You rock Phil.

Property Devaluation Racing

Drivers wanted for TX races

24 (edited by RogueLeader 2009-06-24 03:56 PM)

Problem for the person who IS enough of a whiny douchebag to sue over getting bought or cursed.  If they do and they end this fun game of ours I am SURE there are enough people in this bunch with low enough morals to ensure the person NEVER enjoys one penny of the settlement they receive....

Yes I'm from NY and thats how we roll....

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

Sheesh, I can only think of two cursed teams that really seemed completely torn up about it, and one of them fled the premises (the other continues to race at Lemons, so they can't be too steamed). All the other Curse-ees were either stoic or amused about their car's fate. Now that there's a "nobody" option on the ballots, we'll almost certainly start seeing quite a few Curse-less races in the future.