Topic: Used NASCAR Multi Layer Firesuits

First off I have no affiliation with this company, just bought myself a suit from him and love it. 

The website is www.raceimage.com  Just click ont he Saturday Night Racers tab and you can see all of the suits this guy has for sale.  The pit suits are multi layered and most of them are 2 peice, but you can find some jumpsuits throughout as well.  Be sure to take your measurements accurately as described on the site and just shop for that size through the sea of suits.  They are priced pretty well considering that I got a Sparco multi layer suit for less than 300 bucks.

"Sharp as Bear Claws and Slicker Than Goose Shit"
Lab Rats Motorsports
1990 VW Jetta
Charlotte, NC

2 (edited by Mulry 2009-06-30 09:18 AM)

Re: Used NASCAR Multi Layer Firesuits

I'll ditto the praise for these guys. I got a multi-layer 2-piece suit from them for the MSR Houston race this spring for $199. It worked great, looked hideous (teal with Heathcliff Kitty Litter sponsorship front and back), and came from a Craftsman truck series team that couldn't even last for the entire half season for which it had sponsorship. It is perfect for Lemons and I'm very happy with it and with RaceImage.

However, there's one thing to note about the 2-piece pit crew suits. Mine was advertised as multilayer, and it is in several aspects, in that it's both SFI multilayer and it actually comes in several layers. Most of the pit crew suits are 3-piece suits comprised of pants, a _very_ heavy sweatshirt with nomex sleeves, and a nomex vest that goes over the sweatshirt layer. It's pretty heavy duty but I sure wouldn't want to wear it in a warm-weather race as it would be sweltering. It was pretty comfortable at Houston when the temps on Sunday morning were in the 40's, but for a summertime race it would be murder.

I checked with Jay about these suits before buying mine and he told me that they are fine, but strongly recommended wearing some fireproof undies too. His point was that if they have to drag you from a burning car by your shoulders, your midriff will be exposed in anything other than a 1-piece driving suit and the fireproof undershirt might help to prevent flash burns on the abdomen. Just wanted to pass that advice along.

Also, before you buy, make sure that the suit in which you're interested has the SFI tags sewn onto it. The site makes clear that all of the suits are certified as advertised, but not all of them have the tags sewn on, especially the older (pre- 2007) suits. The tags don't always show up in the photos but if you call they will confirm if the suit has the tags sewn on. Tags seem to typically be sewn on the left arm somewhere, often either on the inside of the forearm (like on my Impact Heathcliff suit), at the wrist, or on the outside of the bicep, presumably so that you can show off the tag when you go to the Gun Show. Note that if you show up at Lemons tech with a suit that doesn't have the requisite SFI or FIA tags, your suit won't pass tech. Cheers.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

I'll ditto the praise for these guys. I got a multi-layer 2-piece suit from them for the MSR Houston race this spring for $199. It worked great, looked hideous (teal with Heathcliff Kitty Litter sponsorship front and back), and came from a Craftsman truck series team that couldn't even last for the entire half season for which it had sponsorship. It is perfect for Lemons and I'm very happy with it and with RaceImage.

However, there's one thing to note about the 2-piece pit crew suits. Mine was advertised as multilayer, and it is in several aspects, in that it's both SFI multilayer and it actually comes in several layers. Most of the pit crew suits are 3-piece suits comprised of pants, a _very_ heavy sweatshirt with nomex sleeves, and a nomex vest that goes over the sweatshirt layer. It's pretty heavy duty but I sure wouldn't want to wear it in a warm-weather race as it would be sweltering. It was pretty comfortable at Houston when the temps on Sunday morning were in the 40's, but for a summertime race it would be murder.

I checked with Jay about these suits before buying mine and he told me that they are fine, but strongly recommended wearing some fireproof undies too. His point was that if they have to drag you from a burning car by your shoulders, your midriff will be exposed in anything other than a 1-piece driving suit and the fireproof undershirt might help to prevent flash burns on the abdomen. Just wanted to pass that advice along.

Also, before you buy, make sure that the suit in which you're interested has the SFI tags sewn onto it. The site makes clear that all of the suits are certified as advertised, but not all of them have the tags sewn on, especially the older (pre- 2007) suits. The tags don't always show up in the photos but if you call they will confirm if the suit has the tags sewn on. Tags seem to typically be sewn on the left arm somewhere, often either on the inside of the forearm (like on my Impact Heathcliff suit), at the wrist, or on the outside of the bicep, presumably so that you can show off the tag when you go to the Gun Show. Note that if you show up at Lemons tech with a suit that doesn't have the requisite SFI or FIA tags, your suit won't pass tech. Cheers.

Good points.  My dad actually ordered one that did not have the tags on the actual suit and the guy was more than willing to work with him to get one that did.  Interesting point on the midriff thought for the 2 peice suits though, never thought about it like that.  I do question though that unless you have a 1 peice nomex underwear suit, wouldn't it experience the same effect it you were pulled from a burning heap as the 2 peice suit?

Lab Rats Motorsports
1990 VW Jetta
Charlotte, NC

Cool! I can think of a team that totally needs this:

http://www.raceimage.com/store.asp?sear … &s=plh

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs106.snc1/4606_85605614494_36766739494_1925539_1608653_n.jpg

cpmskinny wrote:

Interesting point on the midriff thought for the 2 peice suits though, never thought about it like that.  I do question though that unless you have a 1 peice nomex underwear suit, wouldn't it experience the same effect it you were pulled from a burning heap as the 2 peice suit?

I think the best answer is "possibly." At least you could tuck the undershirt into the pants and if the shirt is long enough then maybe you wouldn't have that situation.

Nick, I love that suit but don't love the price. smile There were any number of suits that were really well-related to our theme but were out of our price range -- a CitiFinancial and a Ameriquest Mortgage suit both come immediately to mind. Neither were as good looking as Heathcliff, though. Cheers.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Yeah, that's the only problem is you have to be happy with what is already on them, and you have to call the guy before you can do business.  No internet orders kinda sucks but no big deal.

Some of those driver suits were pretty expensive.  Love to have one, but dont want to shell out the jack for it when a pit suit will be more than sufficient.

Lab Rats Motorsports
1990 VW Jetta
Charlotte, NC

I got my Simpson suit from race image too. It was an older one and did not have the SFI tags. I called Simpson, they told me to send it in for inspection. They put the tags on for $25. Works for me.

sergio wrote:

I got my Simpson suit from race image too. It was an older one and did not have the SFI tags. I called Simpson, they told me to send it in for inspection. They put the tags on for $25. Works for me.

Good info, I had no idea they would kind of re-qualify a suit.

Lab Rats Motorsports
1990 VW Jetta
Charlotte, NC

I was wondering if there was any way to get rid of unwanted sponsors on a suit, or if they're just on their for good.  I've been trying to get a con a friend out of one his Dad gave him, but I don't want to shill for Lone Star Steakhouse.  At least not for free...

1978 AMC Pacer - The Blue Flag Special
BFE GP '12 - IOE
BFE GP '13 - Co-Organizer's Choice w/ Speed Holes Wrenching

Rockford Brodie wrote:

I was wondering if there was any way to get rid of unwanted sponsors on a suit, or if they're just on their for good.  I've been trying to get a con a friend out of one his Dad gave him, but I don't want to shill for Lone Star Steakhouse.  At least not for free...

If its embroidered it will look worse de-sponsored if someone will even do it.  Extremely hard to do without damaging the suit.  However patches can be taken off by any good tailor....

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

Most of them are embroidered though.  The best thing I can think of is to find a different patch that you like and just sew it over the sponsorship that you don't want to give a free plug to.

Lab Rats Motorsports
1990 VW Jetta
Charlotte, NC

I'll chime in about the impossibility of clean removal of embroidery. What I'd recommend (and, of course, what is more work) is to make some humorous additions to the embroidery. Granted, I don't know what this will do for the fire-worthiness of the suit. This is what Lemons is about, right - excessive amounts of effort, humor, and questionable safety?