Topic: Tyrell 6-wheeler

Not sure if it would fall into the legality of the rules or not.  I know you have to have at least 4 wheels, but is there anything preventing you from building a 6 wheeler like the old Tyrells?  Seems like someone did a pickup with extra wheels in the rear, to look like the tractor of an 18 wheeler.  I was thinking maybe 2 fox bodied mustangs & cutting the front off of one, and welding it to the front of the other.  Twice the front grip, and twice the brakes!  Exactly what the ol' mustang would need!  IF this would be allowed, I see this plan being bullet proof!  Shhh!  Quick, we must get to work.  They are coming with the straight jackets!

I am mentally divergent in that I am escaping certain unnamed realities that plague my life there. When I stop coming here, I will be well...

Re: Tyrell 6-wheeler

Sounds like a well thought out, fully vetted plan.  What could go wrong?

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

I am in Dallas, if you do this, I want to help in some way other than driving what would result...

sure, others have done "extra" wheels.. "first blood" hung an extra set of dualies out back..

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

The Apex Vinyl crew in Houston runs a Toyota with the extra set of wheels in the back; they painted it up in Smokey/Bandit fashion for the race a couple weeks ago.

But nobody's ventured where angels fear to tread: the Tyrell. Go for it. If you can make it work, you will be heralded from now until the end of time.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

But nobody's ventured where angels fear to tread: the Tyrell. Go for it. If you can make it work, you will be heralded from now until the end of time.

agreed.  we need more real replica cars (i.e., not just regular cars in gulf oil livery).

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

You have to figure out the steering angles and ackerman or the car will handle like a pig, the two sets of wheels describe different arcs and must therefore have different steering angle, you may be able to just shorten the steering arm on one axle and get it close.   If you don't get it right the car will just scrub speed when you turn.   

That said:  Go for it!   I'd love to see such a car on track.........

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Evil Genius wrote:

You have to figure out the steering angles and ackerman or the car will handle like a pig, the two sets of wheels describe different arcs and must therefore have different steering angle, you may be able to just shorten the steering arm on one axle and get it close.   If you don't get it right the car will just scrub speed when you turn.   

That said:  Go for it!   I'd love to see such a car on track.........

Gee, you're so smart!  Guess that's why you are the Evil Genius!  I haven't thought quite that far ahead yet.  Ken Tyrell isn't around anymore, but I wonder about the guy that designed the steering for that thing.  Hmmm... 

If I get it wrong, I may not even notice.  Those fox mustangs kinda handled like pigs anyhow...

Been searching craigslist, though.  I even thought of mounting an SHO engine midship, chopping the roof, and moving the pilot position & controls to the center of the cockpit.  Probably too ambitious for a first Lemon project(and budget).  I'll have to sort the steering out & see about that first.

I am mentally divergent in that I am escaping certain unnamed realities that plague my life there. When I stop coming here, I will be well...

In what car are you going to attempt this engineering master piece?

Why not make the rear steer as well?

If you end up with a steering nightmare, have the front wheels steer and the ones behind raised so that they don't make contact with the road surface. Make sure they all turn together, it would be real bitchin if you had them on hydraulics so when your in the corners they lift and when your on the straights they drop. Can you imagine the braking power of having all six wheels making contact with the road at the same time.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Why stop at 6?

http://www.armyrecognition.com/images/stories/north_america/united_states/wheeled_armoured/stryker/stryker_atgm/Stryker_ATGM_M1134_Anti-Tank_guided_missile_Tow_wheeled_Armoured_Vehicle_US_Army_United_States_640.jpg

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

13 (edited by EricTheBrown 2010-09-23 02:12 PM)

sergio wrote:

In what car are you going to attempt this engineering master piece?

Planning on a Fox bodied (1987-1993) Mustang.  I may be able to find some cheap enough to attempt this.  A lowly grand prix team pulled this of before, I don't see why it can't be done in Lemons!  Those things under steer & brake so badly, I find it in my heart to try to help one out.  Great for a drag car, but it's going to take some doing to make it turn left & right.  I've had 2 of them, so I kind of have a soft spot for those ill handling, no stopping things.  More wheels, more brakes!  That'll fix it!

On a side note:  When I mentioned my idea to one of my more dubious co-workers, he said:  "Why don't you just use bigger tires & brakes instead?"  Can you believe that!?  How would that be any fun at all!

IIRC the Tyrell used one swaybar for both sets of front wheels. A little searching on the internets should come up with the how they done it.

15 (edited by EricTheBrown 2010-09-23 04:41 PM)

sergio wrote:

IIRC the Tyrell used one swaybar for both sets of front wheels. A little searching on the internets should come up with the how they done it.

I did see a couple of pics of that trick swaybar setup.  I think that could be accomplished.  As Evil Genius said,  I think the killer is going to be getting the steering arc balanced correctly between the 2 axles.  I'm thinking using the smallest size wheels that will fit over the mustangs brakes (maybe 13 inch?)  so that the axles can be as close together as possible, minimizing the difference in ratio that the wheels would need to turn.  Obviously, I'm not an engineer, but it seems to make sense.  I just don't want to get to the point where the wheels are too small to find an inexpensive set of decent gripping tires for.

Just realized.  If I were to do the Tyrell setup with the swaybar, that 5 liter motor(or more likley 4 banger with my budget) would probably be sitting right where I need the swaybar to pass.  Probably have to see about modifying the firewall & moving the engine as far back as I can.  Would help with weight distribution as well.  I may have to find new team mates when I bring this idea to them...

I know this is a project I shouldn't touch, but this is exciting stuff!  It's kind of like sex in a public place.  You probably shouldn't be doing it, it could get you in trouble, but damn, it's fun!

I love this idea.  If you saw through the nose of the stang just in front of the shock towers then cut the nose off another one just behind the shock towers ( about 9" off centerline each way ) you should be able to weld them together

Then to calculate the steering geometry take a couple of long strings and run one out one side along the rear axle about 30 feet parallel to the rear axle.  Turn the wheel about 1/2 way like you are in a medium track corner and run a string from the front outside tire perpendicular to the wheel until it reaches the rear string.

Then from that point pull a string to the center of the front front outside tire and that should be pretty close to the angle you want.

Your front front wheels will turn a bit more than your rear front wheels but recall that with real tires under load they work at a slip angle, the lower profile the lower the angle.  Within that slip angle range you should be OK if there is some difference from ideal.

Also, on a race car, ackerman geometry isn't very critical as most of the work is done by the outside tire.

There are several decent suspension books on amazon, racecar engineering, suspension design etc.

I'd buy one before you start cutting...

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

Hoosier makes a few DOT 10" tires... 

Or you can go this route  205/65-10  http://www.kendatires.com/205_65_10.html  Wheels and DOT tires mounted and balanced for about $400 bucks, even with cool color accents.  Go with Blue, both because it's a ford and because that was Tyrell's color.

http://www.kendatires.com/images/k_3alum14.jpg

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

18 (edited by sergio 2010-09-24 07:37 AM)

I did some reading and found out they had problems with brake cooling. But they solved it just here recently running some classic vintage races. Then the 10" tires had severe wear problems. Think about it. If the car is doing 100mph, what rpms are those tiny fronts turning? Half a jillion?

I remember watching Jody Scheckter in the P34 at Turn 2 during the '76 Grand Prix of Canada (Mosport Park) and he had a hell of a time holding on to it...and he had an F1 team and Goodyear on his side...if you can pull this off, I hope Jay mints a special medal...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

This.

http://invisiblesun.org/Temp/Train.jpg

I don't know anything about it.  It just happened to be out in the parking lot at the hotel last time I went to Sebring... but the steering setup is EXACTLY what you guys are talking about!

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Loren wrote:

This.

http://invisiblesun.org/Temp/Train.jpg

I don't know anything about it.  It just happened to be out in the parking lot at the hotel last time I went to Sebring... but the steering setup is EXACTLY what you guys are talking about!

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/zq5-6PkVGCg/0.jpg
Suddenly, a bad idea appears.....

-=Tom

-=HFC Tom

Menth wrote:

Why not make the rear steer as well?

And while I'm at it, I'll stick this here....
http://images.craigslist.org/3m23p43l25W05U45R6aai3e717c93a4ee1e35.jpg
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/2012835464.html

-=Tom

-=HFC Tom

TheHeckler wrote:

Hoosier makes a few DOT 10" tires... 

Or you can go this route  205/65-10  http://www.kendatires.com/205_65_10.html  Wheels and DOT tires mounted and balanced for about $400 bucks, even with cool color accents.  Go with Blue, both because it's a ford and because that was Tyrell's color.

http://www.kendatires.com/images/k_3alum14.jpg

Those golf cart tires are hella-squirrley and nobody who knows better runs them on a vehicle that will exceed 40mph. They are DOT rated so that old folks can legally drive their golf cars on the roads in their communities, not because they are safe to use on passenger vehicles. And if you can find me some DOT Hoosiers I'd be in HEAVEN and would buy 100 sets! They only have the vintage race tires. They have a "Street Tread" but are not DOT rated.

As it is, the only DOT rated tire that's anywhere close to being safe and in the spirit of the rules are what we're using-- Yokohama A008 and as it is they don't have a treadwear rating because 10" and 12" tires are exempt from the treadwear rating requirements. The way they do the test is they run the wheels over a drum and measure wear-- a 10" tire will hit the same patch more frequently than a 13" or larger tire will, so the same compound will wear "faster" on a smaller diameter wheel.  The tires are DOT approved and labeled, but we have an exemption from the treadwear requirements because of the lack of 10" tires: However, we have been told in no uncertain terms that when (if) we start turning what they consider to be competitive lap times then we will be not be able to use them.

And you shoulda seen the stink that others raised when they saw the mini for the first time last year at Buttonwillow going through BS inspection-- There were no less than 6 people frantically looking up treadwear ratings for A008 tires and waving their i-phones and blackberries in Jay's face. When they saw the lap times were 30-50 seconds off of everyone else's, I don't think it ended up being much of an issue.

I'm trying to go to 13" wheels at some point, but there are other clearance issues involved with them and the tire option would still only be 1-- a Sumitomo I believe it is.

Spank wrote:

I'm trying to go to 13" wheels at some point, but there are other clearance issues involved with them and the tire option would still only be 1-- a Sumitomo I believe it is.

My kingdom for 13" options other than the 380 treadwear Summitomo htr200.  Please let me know if you ever find something (other than having tires shipped from Japan/Europe)

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

RichVS wrote:
Spank wrote:

My kingdom for 13" options other than the 380 treadwear Summitomo htr200.  Please let me know if you ever find something (other than having tires shipped from Japan/Europe)

Just keep cutting and pounding away with a sledge hammer and an air-chisel.  If we can get 195/50-15 Dunlops under a Z600 that came with 10" rims they will fit under anything tongue

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/yetiult/Z600%20LeMons%20Car/IMG_1960-1.jpg