Re: Most missed in the PIT

An extra two-way radio for your guys in the pit. It can be pretty difficult to communicate with them if your spotter location is distant from the pit for mundane things like to let them know when a driver is coming in, that everybody needs to haul ass to the penalty box, etc. Also have a backup method of communication with the driver (ie pit board) in case the radios fail.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

A spare body.  We have had my wife on board as a spectator at two races now, and she's been invaluable. 
Need someone to run into town and grab what you forgot at the hotel?  No problem. 
Need stuff from Lemons HQ but your pit space is in the next county and you're all elbows deep in the car?  No problem. 
Need lunch and track food is ultra-gnarly?  No problem. 

I'll second or third or whatever what Murilee said; Bring A Bicycle!  Well worth the time and effort to have it handy.  Or if Phil is around, borrow his...  wink

Good luck!

TST, fool.

It's a Bunny.  With a pancake.  On its head.  Really, is it that tough?

...Or good ol' duct tape.  Is there anything it can't do?

1978 AMC Pacer - The Blue Flag Special
BFE GP '12 - IOE
BFE GP '13 - Co-Organizer's Choice w/ Speed Holes Wrenching

For Buttonwillow, be sure to bring a lot of Merle Haggard for the boombox. He grew up in that area.

MurileeMartin wrote:

For Buttonwillow, be sure to bring a lot of Merle Haggard for the boombox. He grew up in that area.

Well if you're gonna bring Merle then you'd damn well better bring along some Buck Owens since he pretty much defined the Bakersfield Sound. Lord knows that at Lemons you've got a Tiger by the Tail.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

Well if you're gonna bring Merle then you'd damn well better bring along some Buck Owens since he pretty much defined the Bakersfield Sound. Lord knows that at Lemons you've got a Tiger by the Tail.

The funniest comment I ever saw on Jalopnik was in response to a post of a car with the CA plate "BUKKAKE." Someone said something along the lines of "Maybe they're just from the Central Valley and really like Buck Owens and Cake."

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

EXTRA FUCKING BRAKEPADS.....

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

If you have never been to the track, like us at our first Lemons, and you see people in line before you getting what you think are good pit spots, do NOT worry. When you enter the pit area go find yourself a staff member and ask 2 things:

1. Where is the fueling location?
2. Where is the entrance to the track from the pits?

We ended up with a pit location that was awesome! Pick a spot close to both.

'86 E30, '09 Stafford Aug, '10 CMP Feb, VIR Apr, Summit Jun,  CMP Sep
             '11 CMP Feb, Rock Mar, Charlotte Apr, Summit Jun
'68 MGB '11 NJMP Apr (winner IOE)

At Nelson Ledges, can we bring a 4 wheeler or gator for transportation of tires & gas, or is it not allowed??

---------------------
kickuranusracing

35 (edited by SGW_SAM 2009-08-04 12:45 PM)

FreeRange wrote:

Something REALLY heavy to anchor down your EZ-up (assuming you bring a canopy). We usually use our spare wheels to anchor the corners, but NOTHING would have helped at Reno

Tell me about it.  I was there helping our team, and when the wind came and grabbed the EZ-ups in the pits I jumped up to try to help the team next to us-- in the process ran smack into an open tool box, put a nasty gas in my shin-- fast forward 2 weeks-- and the gash turned into a full fledge nasty infection, and landed me 3.5 days in the hospital.  Still recovering from the infection to this day.  It might take 6-9 months get rid of it all--  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellulitis

I won't win any beauty contests for my legs, but at least I still got 'em.  8^P

SGW_SAM wrote:
FreeRange wrote:

Something REALLY heavy to anchor down your EZ-up (assuming you bring a canopy). We usually use our spare wheels to anchor the corners, but NOTHING would have helped at Reno

Tell me about it.  I was there helping our team, and when the wind came and grabbed the EZ-ups in the pits I jumped up to try to help the team next to us-- in the process ran smack into an open tool box, put a nasty gas in my shin-- fast forward 2 weeks-- and the gash turned into a full fledge nasty infection, and landed me 3.5 days in the hospital.  Still recovering from the infection to this day.  It might take 6-9 months get rid of it all--  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellulitis

I won't win any beauty contests for my legs, but at least I still got 'em.  8^P

Geez, at least our folks healed up ok! Sorry to hear you had it worse...

Team photographer and "sure I'll drive" hanger-on: more races than I ever imagined... MRolla/FX32/Mormon Meteor IV
http://www.facebook.com/StickFigureRacing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkiel/coll … 604631509/
http://www.jkiel.com/