Re: We're meeting this weekend to discuss next years racing budget..

EriktheAwful wrote:

When our XJ6 was on the track and cool enough to put the pedal down, it was pretty competitive. Your two big issues are brakes and reliability. At 4000lbs we could out-brake most of the cars on the track, we were mid-pack on cornering, and we were able to outrun a lot of cars in the straights. Our problem was that we dorked our engine when we plugged the PCV to get through tech and didn't fix it for the track. I think our total budget ended up being under $3200.

$600 in brake parts - rebuild your rear calipers for sure
$10 worth of doubled-up hose clamps
$10 worth of hardware to make a lift-off hood
$280 front-end rebuild kit (it's safely when your balljoints allow 1/4" of play in the front wheels)
$300 rollcage if you're building it yourself
$500 misc safety gear

That's just my take, YMMV.

We're talking apples and oranges here..
  You didn't list the cost of drivers safety gear, or entry fees.. orr license or hotel/RV rental, nor did you include the cost of towing or food or gas for the race car etc..  I don't want to belabor the point, so I won't point out everything you missed..
Plus we are talking about what you actually spent  not what you should have budgeted for.. A good budget for racing should include stuff at new prices and then attempts are made to find the deals so you can come in under budget (and maybe have enough left for another race?) 
   By the way for about $200 (about $100 a corner) if you go shopping at swap meets etc.   you can buy Wilwood  racing calipers.  they will bolt right on! (I gave new list prices in my budget) Then racing rotors for your car will cost $91 at tire rack or $92 at XK's unlimited.. (drilled and grooved)
An even better deal is buy brake hats and then use 1.25 rotors..  that way instead of having to take the front hubs apart to do brake work you can pull off a tire, pull off the rotor slide on a new rotor and put the tire back on!
  Get rid of those inboard brakes! They will cook your rear end!    Go to a pick a part and for $45. you can bring home the parts you need from an XJ40 to go to outboard brakes!.  You can update those or leave them stock..
As for rebuilding the front end, go to pick a part.. XJ6, XJ12 and XJs all use the same suspension parts!The XJ6 has a deeper rear end ratio  (3.31) so if you go to a XJ12/S you'll get positraction but either a 3.07 ratio or worse a 2.88
  You can bring home a whole front end for $100 and (I've got 4 , None of which have any detectable wear)..  Not only would it have been cheaper, easier.. think of the spare parts you'd have!

Serj wrote:

you 2 kittens need to invite the Pendejo Jag XJS along for a 3-way battle of the biggest pussy.

heck I might be tempted to put one together too. there's one near me for $600 clams.

I honstly hope you do..  I'll help you every way I can if asked.. where cheap stuff is, what to look out, for what to avoid,
  Parts that fit and work.. parts that fit but don't work.. 
Where to get parts and where not to get parts..
  The more big Cats at a th etrack the more spares are available..
Plus in all likelyhood you'll come up with more than a few clever soliutions to problem areas and clever Ideas..
For example.. take the windhield washer and run a rubber hose down to the brake duct work.. then when the brakes are really overheating hit the washer button and cool then off.. (use plain water, washer fluid has alcohol;)=)

I want to point out that even if your fuel lasts 3 hours I'd guess a lot of drivers will only last 1, so that kind of evens things a bit.

One day, Mister ffffffffffffffffox!

We changed every hour and still finished top 25% with other issues.

Washer fluid was used by one of our drivers years ago.  Tied it into the brake switch.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

You didn't list the cost of drivers safety gear, or entry fees.. orr

I was just giving you some idea of what we spent. I don't really want to go to the trouble to post my spreadsheet.

By the way for about $200 (about $100 a corner) if you go shopping at swap meets etc.   you can buy Wilwood  racing calipers.  they will bolt right on! (I gave new list prices in my budget) Then racing rotors for your car will cost $91 at tire rack or $92 at XK's unlimited.. (drilled and grooved)

Autozone was closing out the rear rotors at $16 each and the fronts were $80 each. Pads were $280. We could buy top-shelf stuff, but we're poor, and we were competitive enough for first-timers with what we had. As for keeping the rearend cool, note the vents in the rear door...
http://www.murileemartin.com/LO10/Omaha_LeMons-204.jpg
We used the A/C ducting to fab those.

As always, YMMV, as may your opinion.

Erik, why does it say tow on your front right fender?

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Akaishi wrote:

I want to point out that even if your fuel lasts 3 hours I'd guess a lot of drivers will only last 1, so that kind of evens things a bit.

Are you saying that the competitive teams pit every hour?  That would be nice, then we'd stand a 1/2 a chance..

I'm saying that your opponents aren't all racing lifers. There are some but I'd think they're far from the norm in Lemons.

One day, Mister ffffffffffffffffox!

OMGuar wrote:
Serj wrote:

you 2 kittens need to invite the Pendejo Jag XJS along for a 3-way battle of the biggest pussy.

heck I might be tempted to put one together too. there's one near me for $600 clams.

I honstly hope you do..  I'll help you every way I can if asked.. where cheap stuff is, what to look out, for what to avoid,
  Parts that fit and work.. parts that fit but don't work.. 
Where to get parts and where not to get parts..
  The more big Cats at a th etrack the more spares are available..
Plus in all likelyhood you'll come up with more than a few clever soliutions to problem areas and clever Ideas..
For example.. take the windhield washer and run a rubber hose down to the brake duct work.. then when the brakes are really overheating hit the washer button and cool then off.. (use plain water, washer fluid has alcohol;)=)

This race would be incredibly easy to officiate, as none of the Jags would be on the track at the same time.  The pits would be busy though.

EriktheAwful wrote:

You didn't list the cost of drivers safety gear, or entry fees.. orr

I was just giving you some idea of what we spent. I don't really want to go to the trouble to post my spreadsheet.

Autozone was closing out the rear rotors at $16 each and the fronts were $80 each. Pads were $280. We could buy top-shelf stuff, but we're poor, and we were competitive enough for first-timers with what we had. As for keeping the rearend cool, note the vents in the rear door...
http://www.murileemartin.com/LO10/Omaha_LeMons-204.jpg
We used the A/C ducting to fab those.

As always, YMMV, as may your opinion.

I'm glad to see you did some thinking about cooling the rear end, Looks very nice!  Did you remove all the stuff on your doors and simply have door skins or are you still hauling all the extra weight?
That hood weighs a ton doesn't it!? trunk lid isn't nearly as heavy but there's still weight to lose there..
OH, thanks for your numbers,, It's just that the numbers I came up with seem very high to some people.. I'm sure once you total everything you spent not only on the car but on racing (entry fees, drivers gear, getting to the track etc..) it's not going to be wildly differant..
Yes I know there are bargins out there.. I'm sure going to take advantage of any that come along.. However How can I budget for them?   
  Front  racing rotors (drilled and grooved) are $91 each and You paid $80 for some non drilled ones.. I think the racing bit is worth the extra $11.  As for those rear rotors, I've got a set of vented rotors and wilwood calipers  for the back but won't put them on.. Not when I can go to pick a part for $45 and move the brakes outboard!  You wind up with a 12" vented rotor and brakes away from the diff.  yeh, it's a  Saturday Morning  at the junkyard.  Plus it's one more car I can look at for some decent shocks..  Jaguar used the same shocks from 1972 through at least 1994  Never know when you'll stumble across a decent pair. MY pick a part wants $4. for a used shock..
How much was left on  your brake pads after the race?

Akaishi wrote:

I'm saying that your opponents aren't all racing lifers. There are some but I'd think they're far from the norm in Lemons.

Racing lifers,, Hmmm, good name!
  actauly sounds better than Gear heads or  Track hags..
Thanks..

Guar, all your numbers are off, I would like to see any team reporting the 40mpg you say you are racing against.

Buying drilled rotors are a bad choice unless you get the $350 cast hole type the drilled cheapies are for looks not racing, ask the manufacturer.

Sorry for the feeding

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

OMGuar wrote:
EriktheAwful wrote:

When our XJ6 was on the track and cool enough to put the pedal down, it was pretty competitive. Your two big issues are brakes and reliability. At 4000lbs we could out-brake most of the cars on the track, we were mid-pack on cornering, and we were able to outrun a lot of cars in the straights. Our problem was that we dorked our engine when we plugged the PCV to get through tech and didn't fix it for the track. I think our total budget ended up being under $3200.

$280 front-end rebuild kit (it's safely when your balljoints allow 1/4" of play in the front wheels)
$500 misc safety gear

You didn't list the cost of drivers safety gear, or entry fees.. orr license or hotel/RV rental, nor did you include the cost of towing or food or gas for the race car etc..  I don't want to belabor the point, so I won't point out everything you missed

If you would have read his post, you would have seen that he is only discussing the cost of the car.  Entry fees are a moot point.  Every team is going to spend anywhere from $1100-$1400 for their first event depending on driver count.

As far as travel expenses, food, gas for the tow vehicle to get to the event, none of can say whether or not you've budgeted correctly or not.  You'll get there one way or the other whether it's in a RV pulling the Jag in an enclosed trailer or behind a pickup truck on a tow dolly.

Getting back to the car, I doubt seriously if you'll need two full sets of wheels and tires.  I'd get one full set and have two spares available.  Has anyone ever worn out a new set of tires in one Lemons race that wasn't a full 24 hours?  What you get and how much you spend is up to you but if you are asking for tips to save money, go with 6 wheels and tires rather than 8
Someone already covered the fire extinguisher. 
Transponders have been around for over a decade and if you've raced vintage at all during that time, wouldn't you already have one available?
Most of all, to increase the fun factor and make your teammates happy, seriously consider making the car more economical so the stints can be longer.  Yes, I know it's a "thirsty Jag" but wouldn't you rather enjoy more time on the track and less time in the paddock fueling?

Greg
Team Skid Steer
Bullitt Bobcat 2.0

89 (edited by BlackSheep1 2010-11-18 02:00 PM)

Team Infinniti wrote:

Guar, all your numbers are off, I would like to see any team reporting the 40mpg you say you are racing against.

Buying drilled rotors are a bad choice unless you get the $350 cast hole type the drilled cheapies are for looks not racing, ask the manufacturer.

Sorry for the feeding

Earlier this year at CMP, we could go for ~2.5 hours before needing to refuel.  We have a 19.1 gal tank so lets assume we would use ~18 of those gallons in that 2.5 hours.  We were running somewhere between 1 min 3 seconds to 1 min 6 seconds / lap on the 1.1 mile course so somewhere around 55 miles/hour on average.  If my math is correct, that would mean we would burn 18 gallons after driving just under 140 miles or ~7.66 miles/gal and that was with a V6.

If Frenchy thinks he can get 11 miles/gal then I say he definitely has an advantage over us and we have finished in the top 10 in every race we have done.

BlackSheep1 wrote:
Team Infinniti wrote:

Sorry for the feeding

Earlier this year at CMP, we could go for ~2.5 hours before needing to refuel.  We have a 19.1 gal tank so lets assume we would use ~18 of those gallons in that 2.5 hours.  We were running somewhere between 1 min 3 seconds to 1 min 6 seconds / lap on the 1.1 mile course so somewhere around 55 miles/hour on average.  If my math is correct, that would mean we would burn 18 gallons after driving just under 140 miles or ~7.66 miles/gal and that was with a V6.

If Frenchy thinks he can get 11 miles/gal then I say he definitely has an advantage over us and we have finished in the top 10 in every race we have done.

you remind me how lucky the Pillager buick was for us then with those numbers. our hottest laps were around 1:06-1:08 and we'd average just over 2 hours per stint. we had mondo slow filling at that time too with standard 2.5gal/min cans and started sunday in the top 10. We have a 16-18gal tank but typically only burn about 15-16 before power loss due to fuel slosh. Fact is though, we WAIL on that car, and it shows since we had a caliper seize (don't ever use Hawk HP+ unless you have a pile and plan to change'em every pit stop) and ultimately wound up in 23rd.

this is a good illustration though. our relatively economical buick was burning almost 8gal/hour, and last fuel economy thread speculated that's pretty average. OMGuar's cranking on about their expected fuel economy still could yield them a top 20 if they don't break down...which, they will. I think the running joke is that the Pendejo XJS changes head gaskets with every driver change, and they're what i would consider the "fastest" jag in Lemons.

91 (edited by OMGuar 2010-11-18 03:33 PM)

Team Infinniti wrote:

Sorry for the feeding

I believe you misunderstand what was written..   I said the Jagaur XJ-S V12 was reported at 8-11 MPG when driven normally as compard to say BMW's Saabs, etc.. that get around 30 MPG driven normally and Honda, some Toyotas etc that driven normally get 40 MPG
I then clarified it further by saying the Jag would likely get 4 MPG under racing conditions.
There was no claim that 30-40 MPG was under racing conditions. Sorry you misread that..

With regard the need for $350 rotors  Wilwood seems to disagree with you..  They list drilled rotors for racing applications only..  the rotors I need aren't anywhere near those numbers..
I'll Check a few other sites if you want...

Serj wrote:
BlackSheep1 wrote:
Team Infinniti wrote:

Sorry for the feeding

you remind me how lucky the Pillager buick was for us then with those numbers. our hottest laps were around 1:06-1:08 and we'd average just over 2 hours per stint. we had mondo slow filling at that time too with standard 2.5gal/min cans and started sunday in the top 10. We have a 16-18gal tank but typically only burn about 15-16 before power loss due to fuel slosh. Fact is though, we WAIL on that car, and it shows since we had a caliper seize (don't ever use Hawk HP+ unless you have a pile and plan to change'em every pit stop) and ultimately wound up in 23rd.

this is a good illustration though. our relatively economical buick was burning almost 8gal/hour, and last fuel economy thread speculated that's pretty average. OMGuar's cranking on about their expected fuel economy still could yield them a top 20 if they don't break down...which, they will. I think the running joke is that the Pendejo XJS changes head gaskets with every driver change, and they're what i would consider the "fastest" jag in Lemons.

Some careful reading is called for here..
  No such claim was made
  I said (read carefully) that magazines reported 8-11 MPG driven normally.
  Go ahead and take a moment to reread..
  I also said that under racing conditions 4 MPG was more likely.
  Under racing conditions others have reported between 15 & 20 MPG   the lowest I read about was I think 11 MPG.. 
  With Regard Pendejo's issue with head gaskets..
I've written to him and posted it many times here..
that is a later HE engine..  (HE is a high effiency engine, an attempt to improve fuel mileage) (It actually works because the later XJ-S V12's got up to 16 mpg..    (even better towards the very end of production 18-19 MPG..) last V12 was made in 1997
However a by product of that engine is it's tendancy to get extremely lean under part throttle)  That's what blows the head gaskets..
I'll be glad to explain the exact details if you are interested..
The solution is to go back to the earlier flathead engine (like mine)  all the factory race cars did.   Every success with the V12 was with the earlier flathead engine..
You can't simply exchange the heads either.. If you put the earlier flat heads on an HE piston the compression ratio will go up to 22 to one..  So you have to swap pistons as well.   (much easier to simply use the earlier flathead (non-HE)  engine)..   1971-1980

BlackSheep1 wrote:
Team Infinniti wrote:

Sorry for the feeding

You misread what was written. please take a minute and go back to reread.

No need to check anything, I have read every post of yours here and there, my eyes and brain are about to spontaneity combust .

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Lemonious Monk wrote:
OMGuar wrote:
EriktheAwful wrote:

$500 misc safety gear

You didn't list the cost of drivers safety gear, or entry fees.. orr license or hotel/RV rental, nor did you include the cost of towing or food or gas for the race car etc..  I don't want to belabor the point, so I won't point out everything you missed

If you would have read his post, you would have seen that he is only discussing the cost of the car.  Entry fees are a moot point.  Every team is going to spend anywhere from $1100-$1400 for their first event depending on driver count.

As far as travel expenses, food, gas for the tow vehicle to get to the event, none of can say whether or not you've budgeted correctly or not.  You'll get there one way or the other whether it's in a RV pulling the Jag in an enclosed trailer or behind a pickup truck on a tow dolly.

Getting back to the car, I doubt seriously if you'll need two full sets of wheels and tires.  I'd get one full set and have two spares available.  Has anyone ever worn out a new set of tires in one Lemons race that wasn't a full 24 hours?  What you get and how much you spend is up to you but if you are asking for tips to save money, go with 6 wheels and tires rather than 8
Someone already covered the fire extinguisher. 
Transponders have been around for over a decade and if you've raced vintage at all during that time, wouldn't you already have one available?
Most of all, to increase the fun factor and make your teammates happy, seriously consider making the car more economical so the stints can be longer.  Yes, I know it's a "thirsty Jag" but wouldn't you rather enjoy more time on the track and less time in the paddock fueling?

Thanks for understanding about expenses that are outside the actual car..  so many people seems to skip that and make the assumption that we plan on spending $20,000 getting the car ready..
  I guess the devil really is in the details..
   Tires and wheels?  the one driver already has the 19" wheels(8 rims) he races Corvettes and went from bolt on wheels to center lock wheels so these are surplus to his needs..
  He's already grumpy about not getting to use racing rubber but has agreed that if it's a major issue or prevents us from a chance to do well (through penalty laps)  he'll agree to differant choices..
It's not about wearing out new rubber, it's about what happens in the event of a cut, accident or something else happening.. be prepared sort of approach..
  I have a set (4) of 10X15 rims that weigh less than the factory rims. However there is no spare! So the solution is Corvette take offs.. which is where the 19's came in.  Doesn't it  seem counter productive to have to buy new wheels because someone doesn't like the wheels we have..  Force us to spend more money?
I suppose I could have clarified that when I listed the budget numbers..  For example I already have the three XJ-s's and a bunch of spare parts.  Plus all the tools and equipment.    One driver has wheels and FIA approved drivers gear..
  I've raced Vintage since 1975 transponders weren't used then.. In fact they weren't used in vintage when I stopped racing and started building my house back in 2001.. That's held the majority of my attention since except when one of my buddies invited me to race his car.  So transponders are totally new to me.. 
  Finally make the car more economical?   That's sort of like saying solve the nations unemployment problem  tonight.
Some of the best engineers in the world have had a go at doing exactly that..
The very best result was something called the HE engine  (1981-1997)  mileage went up to 16 MPG and as High as 18-19 towards the very end.
However a by-product of that is blowing head gaskets.. (Ask Pendajo)  at mid throttle  the engine goes excessively lean.  The solutions? replace the heads (and pistons) with the earlier flatehead parts.  You can achieve a modicum of improvement if you throw a lot of fuel at it.. (enrichen it)  thenthe fuel mileage drops..
So if you want a V12 you've got to pay the price of a V12 and the pric in this case is lousy fuel mileage..

Team Infinniti wrote:

No need to check anything, I have read every post of yours here and there, my eyes and brain are about to spontaneity combust .

I'm flattered that you have read everything. That's a nice compliment..
Do take care of your eyes though..

oh, there you go assuming things again. I've read your posts, 90% of their content is 2/3rds reiteration of what a heavy, slow, uneconomical beast you're racing, how your teammates with deep pockets and bad backs want the easiest time of this whole experience, and the rest is the same details about your F1-inspired(developed?) V12 that will be impossible to break. My previous post was a bit of a joking poke at the historic unreliability of jags in Lemons races, and that you're SEVERELY overestimating how bad your fuel consumption will be. dropping a 22gal fuel cel into the car will yield a reasonably usable 30-40% more capacity than my current Lemons racecar. With half the estimated fuel economy of us (do the math, we're right around 8-8.5) you still should be able to pull around 1.5h per tank, which is a great driver change interval. Barring no breakdowns and OK lap times, that's probably a top30 at just about any Lemons even.

OMGuar wrote:

I've raced Vintage since 1975 transponders weren't used then.. In fact they weren't used in vintage when I stopped racing and started building my house back in 2001.. That's held the majority of my attention since except when one of my buddies invited me to race his car.  So transponders are totally new to me..

That's strange, I bought my vintage Formula Vee in Feb '98 and at that time, the sanctioning body I raced with had been using them for a few years before that.  Transponders were mandatory when I got the car track ready in August of '98.  What vintage organization did you race with prior to 2001?

Greg
Team Skid Steer
Bullitt Bobcat 2.0

99 (edited by EriktheAwful 2010-11-18 07:36 PM)

Erik, why does it say tow on your front right fender?

The tow hook is right under the fender. I suppose we should also put an arrow, but I'm not worried. It doesn't need a tow-truck, it's the Jaggernaut, an unstoppable force!

Did you remove all the stuff on your doors and simply have door skins or are you still hauling all the extra weight?

The rear doors are hollowed. The fronts are mostly hollowed, but I can still do some sheetmetal trimming to lighten them. The inner door handles (monstrosities!) are long gone.

That hood weighs a ton doesn't it!? trunk lid isn't nearly as heavy but there's still weight to lose there..

We converted the hood to a lift-off, which was the best mod we made, but we never trimmed away the metal underneath, so it's a beast for one person to lift off. The hinges bolt on under the bumper, so we'll probably get around to removing them when (if) we build an airdam. The trunk is completely stock, but when we ditch the EFI computer I may crawl in there with the sawzall and hack away. I suppose some day we'll ditch the ten-pound chrome grille, but DAMN! it looks sharp.

Serj wrote:

oh, there you go assuming things again. I've read your posts, 90% of their content is 2/3rds reiteration of what a heavy, slow, uneconomical beast you're racing, how your teammates with deep pockets and bad backs want the easiest time of this whole experience, and the rest is the same details about your F1-inspired(developed?) V12 that will be impossible to break. My previous post was a bit of a joking poke at the historic unreliability of jags in Lemons races, and that you're SEVERELY overestimating how bad your fuel consumption will be. dropping a 22gal fuel cel into the car will yield a reasonably usable 30-40% more capacity than my current Lemons racecar. With half the estimated fuel economy of us (do the math, we're right around 8-8.5) you still should be able to pull around 1.5h per tank, which is a great driver change interval. Barring no breakdowns and OK lap times, that's probably a top30 at just about any Lemons even.

First let me apologize for repeating and repeating the same thing over and over again..
I'm simply trying to set the record straight.. I wish I could write it once and nobody misreads it but it simply doesn't seem to happen..
So,
The XJ-S  has a 24 gallon tank.. are you saying that the car can have a 22 gallon fuel cell too? 
  I guess I'm confused.. what car are you running that gets 8MPG?  how big is it's tank? 
Well I'll skip to the part where you believe I can run 1.5 hours on a tank of fuel..
I think if I could do that you're right, I could do reasonably well.
As for the No breakdowns, well you're right about the historic lack of reliabilty of Jaguars in Crapcan racing.  Like all fools I'd like to believe I could make a differance..  I know that my other Jaguar has been as reliable as a clock.   22 races without a single failure and one of the races was a 10 day event in the Bahamas
As far as lap times go, I've got decades of experiance but I'm 62 so well past my prime..One guy races  a Corvette but he's not  blistering fast, two drivers have no racing experiance at all. So I guess it's two old farts and 2 unknowns. On the surface it doesn't sound like the lap times will be that great.. .:[:[