26 (edited by Speedycop 2010-12-10 07:50 AM)

Re: When are we going to get a Slant Six E30?

I'm with Jim. I'm really tired of the E30's domination. Anybody can race a sports car. It takes real machismo to race something God and man never intended to hit the track. I had more fun balls out in the '61 Caddy and '63 Tbird than I ever have in a fast, good handling car. If you are gonna run Lemons, consider anything but a sports car. Please. SCCA and the rest are for sports cars. Lemons is about creativity, backyard engineering, and doing the previously unheard of, just because you think you can.

BTW, we will debut our straight 8 at Summit Point, Lord willing...

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

27 (edited by EriktheAwful 2010-12-10 07:31 AM)

What's the prize for a 3 chevette 4 bangers in place of a Jaguar V12?

Fixed that for you. 3 motors is three times as reliable, right?

Speedycop wrote:

I'm with Jim. I'm really tired of the E30's. Anybody can race a sports car. It's takes real machismo to race something God and man never intended to hit the track. I had more fun balls out in the '61 Caddy and '63 Tbird than I ever have in a fast, good handling car. If you are gonna run Lemons, consider anything but a sports car. Please. SCCA and the rest are for sports cars. Lemons is about creativity, backyard engineering, and doing the previously unheard of, just because you think you can.

HOLY.... debut @ summit? this is going to be something far beyond epic!

Sorry Speedycop, but I have to disagree with you. I get the E30 hate, but there's room enough in the series for the nutjobs like you who run ridiculous cars, AND for the backyard wrenchers who want to race but can't afford SCCA/NASA/etc. or don't want to take it so seriously. This was Jay's original idea for the series.

Back in '07 when I started running Lemons, I realized there were two schools of thought on car selection: pick something nutty that will be a ton of fun to see at the track but won't be competitive, or pick something that you can actually race. Given the fact that everyone on my team is a speed junkie and wanted to race instead of just cruise around the track, we chose option two.

We're all decent wrenchers, but none of us are fabricators. We wanted to race, but we didn't have the money, skill, or equipment to be competitive in other series. Our only way into this world was to pick a car that was relatively easy to get parts for and had a bolt-in cage available, because we were putting the car together in my friend's garage in Navy housing. There were *FOUR* E30s in the previous race, so at the time Lemons wasn't flooded with them, and it seemed like a good choice. Even with decent handling out of the box, I don't think anyone would call our 122hp 4500rpm redline engine "sporty." But we realized our car was rather pedestrian, so we put a ton of work into the theme and the praise and trophies we have received for it shows that our work has been well liked.

So while I wholeheartedly salute people like you and Spank who bring insane cars/swaps out and love seeing them on the track, I don't think it's reason to exclude the people who don't have the resources available to take on ridiculous projects, and instead work hard to just have their regular crap can our there, provided they make an effort to stand out and theme things in the spirit of the event. Hating on those people is elitism.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

LTDScott wrote:

Sorry Speedycop, but I have to disagree with you. I get the E30 hate, but there's room enough in the series for the nutjobs like you who run ridiculous cars, AND for the backyard wrenchers who want to race but can't afford SCCA/NASA/etc. or don't want to take it so seriously. This was Jay's original idea for the series.

Back in '07 when I started running Lemons, I realized there were two schools of thought on car selection: pick something nutty that will be a ton of fun to see at the track but won't be competitive, or pick something that you can actually race. Given the fact that everyone on my team is a speed junkie and wanted to race instead of just cruise around the track, we chose option two.

We're all decent wrenchers, but none of us are fabricators. We wanted to race, but we didn't have the money, skill, or equipment to be competitive in other series. Our only way into this world was to pick a car that was relatively easy to get parts for and had a bolt-in cage available, because we were putting the car together in my friend's garage in Navy housing. There were *FOUR* E30s in the previous race, so at the time Lemons wasn't flooded with them, and it seemed like a good choice. Even with decent handling out of the box, I don't think anyone would call our 122hp 4500rpm redline engine "sporty." But we realized our car was rather pedestrian, so we put a ton of work into the theme and the praise and trophies we have received for it shows that our work has been well liked.

So while I wholeheartedly salute people like you and Spank who bring insane cars/swaps out and love seeing them on the track, I don't think it's reason to exclude the people who don't have the resources available to take on ridiculous projects, and instead work hard to just have their regular crap can our there, provided they make an effort to stand out and theme things in the spirit of the event. Hating on those people is elitism.

Scott, i think the hate is more drawn towards the cheaty E30 team that forgoes theme funds for performance bits. I don't object to an E30 just because it's an E30; you're a stellar example with some great themes going, It does annoy me though to see an E30 that was probably totally daily-drivable that, first race out of the gate it shows up with konis, a chipped ECM, and a racing clutch, and no theme to speak of save a "gumball" number placard and some racing stripes. Want something that handles good and is sporty and fun to drive? do a 944 with a fresh timing belt and some Azenis!

Serj wrote:

It does annoy me though to see an E30 that was probably totally daily-drivable that, first race out of the gate it shows up with konis, a chipped ECM, and a racing clutch, and no theme to speak of save a "gumball" number placard and some racing stripes.

I agree with this when it comes to any "common" car (aka Civic, RX7, Prelude, Miata, Corolla, etc). If you just spray paint a number on your otherwise stock car, you're doing it wrong.

I'm just saying that there are plenty of E30 teams (mine, B-Team, E30chero, etc) who don't deserve the hate simply because it's an E30.

on a topic-related note; anyone know what the rear diff ratio on an E30? i figure with a monstrous american I6/L6 transplant you'd want some crazy, numerically-low ratio like 1.33 to take advantage of the bus-moving torque.

Serj wrote:

on a topic-related note; anyone know what the rear diff ratio on an E30? i figure with a monstrous american I6/L6 transplant you'd want some crazy, numerically-low ratio like 1.33 to take advantage of the bus-moving torque.

2.93 to 4.10 depending on model

so, in theory... if you're running 4000rpms in 4th (usually a 1:1 ratio on a manual 5sp) and a 2.93 rear with 24.7" tires (225/50R17s roughly) then you're doing... about 100mph? that actually doesn't sound bad, I've almost never run in OD, and the top of "drive" is right around 90-95 for us.... I guess tougher thing would be finding the ratio you want on the rear.

That sounds like an awfully tall tire on an E30. We're running 195/60/14s.

LTDScott wrote:

That sounds like an awfully tall tire on an E30. We're running 195/60/14s.

hmm, you're right. i keep thinking about standard tires sizes for the vic (225/60R16) the buick (205/65R16) my former life with a maxima (225/50R17). With the 195/60R14s, that's still 91mph with the 2.93 gear @ 4000rpms (1:1 ratio assumed 4th gear)  that would still be pretty quick.

We did the crazy car last year with the 94 seville and we got 34 laps out of it.  Spent a ton of time to make it work and it just sucked.

This year we went with an old ethiopian diplomats e30 87 convertible (long story, got for free) simply because we want to last more than 34 laps and a convertible is bad ass.

----------------------------------------------
Team Pimpalicous
94 Cadillac Seville SLS DOA 10 Capital Offense
87 325 Convertible

Speedycop wrote:

I'm with Jim. I'm really tired of the E30's domination. Anybody can race a sports car. It takes real machismo to race something God and man never intended to hit the track. I had more fun balls out in the '61 Caddy and '63 Tbird than I ever have in a fast, good handling car. If you are gonna run Lemons, consider anything but a sports car. Please. SCCA and the rest are for sports cars. Lemons is about creativity, backyard engineering, and doing the previously unheard of, just because you think you can.

Yeah, I don't feel like this anger is well-placed.  I've just started a team because I had the chance to join another one at a previous race and wanted to be part of it.  But none of the new team is a strong mechanic.  No fabricators, no people with welding experience and we're doing most of our work in my dirt driveway.  For us an E30 was a good choice because it's likely to work reasonably well, give us something fun to drive and hopefully when something does go wrong there are people at the track who can at least give us an idea of what might be going on, and maybe be able to help us with parts.

None of us are really speed demons either.  No spec miata racers, no one doing NASA or anything like that.  Just people who like cars and want to have a good time.

I see the E30 as a starter car.  A good chance to get involved, have fun, learn a little bit about cars and go out and drive a little bit.  And it forces us to have a really good theme. smile

There are a lot of people who come to Lemons with a lot of different ideas of what it should be.  People who want to race and win, people who want to take their crazy hacked-up cars out on the track and impress others, people who want to build something that's basically art, etc.  I can't speak for the people running the events, but I feel like there should be space for all that.

LTDScott wrote:

So, I'm a nutjob AND an elitist? Tell me how you really feel!

I'm not the only one saying it, in case you missed Phil's eleventy billion posts on the subject. Race after race that I've been in has come down to a pair of E30's (CMP, NOLA). They are great cars, and make great race cars. I understand why teams want to run them. My point is there are far more interesting options, and E30's have been like friggin rabbits lately, multiplying throughout the series. It won't surprise me when E30's start getting denied frequently for booked-up races, in favor of more interesting cars. It's probably happened already. Not every E30 is cheaty. Some improve legitimately over time, like my Lincoln. Some are themed really well (Prickstine comes to mind). But saying all you can work on or compete reliably with is an E30 is untrue.

I'm not a welder. I'm not a fabricator. I'm not an engineer. I'm not even a mechanic. I've had ZERO training in any of those things. Yet I managed to figure all of them out as I went, because I needed to. If I can do it, anyone can. I was under a future Lemons car all this evening, outside, in the dark and freezing cold. Fun? No. Necessary? Yes, if I want to keep bring cool new rides to races. This will be the first car that I haven't done the lion's share of the build work on. Resources? The Caddy and Lincoln were built with jackstands and hand tools, on a gravel driveway. Same stuff EVERY Lemons team has. Only ths year did I get a 4' lift and a concrete pad to work on.

There's a reason IOE is the top prize, and winning the race is second. If your E30 hasn't brought you either one, try building something completely different. I can hate E30's all day long, and it doesn't make me an elitist. Saying I'm tired of their domination is merely a call for people to win with something different. You don't have to agree, or even like it. But, if one prospective team reads that and decides to build something cooler as a result, my work here is done.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)

Meh...I'm not hatin on the E30s and I dont think Speedycop is either.  If you totally lack the imagination, creativity and balls to run something unique then so be it.  But its boring as hell.  I love to look through the photos of all the events but I gotta say withe the exception of Prickstine and the E30 Ranchero I've never wasted my time looking at any other E30 entered in the event (or miata for that matter)

If you just want to blend in and run cool, have a good time.  But if you want to stand out, try something different.

And none of this "we're not fabricators" junk either.  Im a frigging office jockey with 0 fab experience and I sucked it up and built the Wartburg anyway.  Even if you dont want to fab that doesnt stop you from buying a running/driving ford Tempo or other craptactular but at least unique vehicle and slapping a cage in it and running it.

As I've said before, our team has 2 E30s and 2 Miatas all under Lemons budget but I doubt you'll ever see them at an event.  There's just no excitement in that....unless I talk them into letting me jam the 3 cyl 2 stroke from the wartburg into one of the E30s...  wink

Smile guys, dont take it too serious.  Speedy and I are just saying that there's too many truely interesting options out there to let yourself be relegated to the "also ran" boredom of the common cars.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

blizzard wrote:

Yeah, I don't feel like this anger is well-placed.
There are a lot of people who come to Lemons with a lot of different ideas of what it should be.  People who want to race and win, people who want to take their crazy hacked-up cars out on the track and impress others, people who want to build something that's basically art, etc.  I can't speak for the people running the events, but I feel like there should be space for all that.

What anger? I merely expressed my opinion. And I agree 100% with what you just said about Lemons having something for each of those groups. If I wanted to be popular, I'd keep my opinions to myself. That simply doesn't matter to me. I'd rather encourage teams to build what I find are more interesting cars. It's really not about what I find interesting, or want to see, though, is it? It's about each individual team, and what they want.

Think of it like a TV commercial by a politician. He or she will tell you why they are more right than their opponent. It doesn't make them more right, it just lets you know where they stand, and you make your own informed decision.

The reason I want to see a Slant Six E30 is that the Slant Six stands for everything the E30 isn't. The sight of that combo will cause massive physical pain to E30 freaks around the world, and I'll make sure they see it.

Also, for those of you still shopping for your first Lemons car: I consider the E30 to be less-than-average in the Lemons reliability department; the reason so many have won is that the E30 is by far the most common Lemons car and we now have a handful that have been made nearly bulletproof through painful trial-and-error parts replacement. Not as bad as the Starion (as if anything could be that bad!) but not as good as the Neon. If you MUST have a rear-wheel-drive car with manual transmission, get a Volvo 240.

43 (edited by Speedycop 2010-12-10 07:30 PM)

JThw8 wrote:

If you totally lack the imagination, creativity and balls to run something unique then so be it.  But its boring as hell.  I love to look through the photos of all the events but I gotta say withe the exception of Prickstine and the E30 Ranchero I've never wasted my time looking at any other E30 entered in the event (or miata for that matter).

BANHAMMER THE ELITIST NUTJOB!!!!!!!!1!11! :rofl:

Speedycop wrote:
blizzard wrote:

Yeah, I don't feel like this anger is well-placed.

What anger? I merely expressed my opinion. And I agree 100% with what you just said about Lemons having something for each of those groups. If I wanted to be popular, I'd keep my opinions to myself. That simply doesn't matter to me. I'd rather encourage teams to build what I find are more interesting cars. It's really not about what I find interesting, or want to see, though, is it? It's about each individual team, and what they want.

Think of it like a TV commercial by a politician. He or she will tell you why they are more right than their opponent. It doesn't make them more right, it just lets you know where they stand, and you make your own informed decision.

Allright, that's it...you and I have discussed a joint project for awhile.....lets make it bizzarely interesting and you and I do something with an E30 that will still win IOE....you know we can wink  I have ideas....very bad, alcohol fueled ideas.

BTW...straight 8 at Summit?  Does this mean you are finally working on the Buick?  With the addition of the 8 wheeled monster I was gonna see if you wanted to give that old beast up...Im still licking my wounds for loosing out on that 29 Nash and I reeeeallly wanna build something old.  (cause 1958 aint old)

OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."

Speedycop wrote:
JThw8 wrote:

If you totally lack the imagination, creativity and balls to run something unique then so be it.  But its boring as hell.  I love to look through the photos of all the events but I gotta say withe the exception of Prickstine and the E30 Ranchero I've never wasted my time looking at any other E30 entered in the event (or miata for that matter).

BANHAMMER THE ELITIST NUTJOB!!!!!!!!1!11! :rofl:

I'll get the admins right on that ban....oh wait a minute...whats that say under my username...

I think it says....suck it banhammer  wink

Judge Phil wrote:

The reason I want to see a Slant Six E30 is that the Slant Six stands for everything the E30 isn't. The sight of that combo will cause massive physical pain to E30 freaks around the world, and I'll make sure they see it.

Hey, if anyone wants to give Jim or I an E30 to race, we wouldn't turn it down. But, I can guarantee it would get a non-BMW drivetrain swap that would make Bimmer enthusiasts cry. It won't be anything as reliable or mundane as a slant six either...

JThw8 wrote:

Allright, that's it...you and I have discussed a joint project for awhile.....lets make it bizzarely interesting and you and I do something with an E30 that will still win IOE....you know we can wink  I have ideas....very bad, alcohol fueled ideas.

BTW...straight 8 at Summit?  Does this mean you are finally working on the Buick?  With the addition of the 8 wheeled monster I was gonna see if you wanted to give that old beast up...Im still licking my wounds for loosing out on that 29 Nash and I reeeeallly wanna build something old.  (cause 1958 aint old)

Not even close to working on the Buick. I'm on DC Doug's sweet new IOE car right now with him. It's a TPB car, but he bought it, not me, and he's been slaving daily on it for weeks. Should debut at Feb CMP.

Yeah, you and I need to collaborate on something. Given tonight's discussion, methinks a twin-engined E30 would do nicely. Wartburg motor in front, and I've got something killer for the rear...

Speedycop wrote:
JThw8 wrote:

Not even close to working on the Buick. I'm on DC Doug's sweet new IOE car right now with him. It's a TPB car, but he bought it, not me, and he's been slaving daily on it for weeks. Should debut at Feb CMP.

Yeah, you and I need to collaborate on something. Given tonight's discussion, methinks a twin-engined E30 would do nicely. Wartburg motor in front, and I've got something killer for the rear...

I'll email ya with one of my ideas.... wink

And you can just drop that Buick off here....I'll take good care of it.

The Nash is up for sale again BTW....local flipper bought it and did nothing but relist it at double the price....#$^&#

I wanted it BADLY. I went so far as to pick up the phone and pull up the thread on here to get the number when I saw your post about it being sold. I could have run Dave's Chevelle to NJ and picked up the Nash...

Speedycop wrote:

I wanted it BADLY. I went so far as to pick up the phone and pull up the thread on here to get the number when I saw your post about it being sold. I could have run Dave's Chevelle to NJ and picked up the Nash...

Like I said, still available for 1k....I could front 500 right now but double is a bit hard to pass with the "year of no cars" restriction right now.  Its posted on the delaware CL listings.

As far as someone donating an E30.  Our Jeff (Mini Jay) has a craptacular E30 left over from BABE, just gotta convince him to give it up for the greater good wink

The local Red Cross dontations car lot always has a few crappy E30s so one way or another I have no doubt we could get one.  Its one of the reasons I dislike them, finding sub $500 E30s is like shooting fish in a barrel.