Re: When are we going to get a Slant Six E30?

Yeah, here too. I scrapped a pretty 524td (E21?) body. Gave serious thought to just plopping the V12 in it, but that's not unique enough for me...

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

This has been tempting me as a drivetrain donor, but I'm too broke right now:
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/ … 25517.html

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)

Speedycop wrote:

This has been tempting me as a drivetrain donor, but I'm too broke right now:
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/ … 25517.html

An honorable choice.

I read that exact article earlier today while researching those!

can we put a northstar in an E30? pleeeeassssseeeee!

I got yer engine, now find us a body shell

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/pts/2094694626.html

http://images.craigslist.org/3n53m53o15O35T15U5ac46c326b0781e01397.jpg

Yes, thats an Alfa 2.5 V6 which has been converted to marine duty.  If that doesn't say destined to fail Im not sure what does.

Or if you dont like marine grade and you'd like a transmission to go with it this is even cheaper

http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/2051838542.html

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

saying all you can work on or compete reliably with is an E30 is untrue.

+1 Anybody who claims this is trying to take the easy way out. Another E30 is not interesting, it's not LeMony, it's boring. If you have to have a BMW, buy a ragged-out 7-series. If you're willing to test your manhood (or womanhood), check the "Cars for Sale" page and consider anything that is not an E30 or Miata.

Clearly I stirred up a shit storm here, which I knew I would. First of all, Speedycop, when I called you a nutjob, you should know by now that in this series, that's a good thing. Your automotive creations are epic and legendary in this series and I've loved every one of them.

As someone above said, "saying all you can work on or compete reliably with is an E30 is untrue." Oh lord is that true. And we all know that some of the more outrageous contraptions that have run in Lemons are well over $500. The judges turn somewhat of a blind eye to these kind of cars, and I'm completely fine with that. Hell, I'll admit that last time around, we went over budget to complete our theme. We spent probably 3x as much on the theme than mechanicals.

All I'm saying is that I don't like the attitude that every car in Lemons should be a twin V4 engined Israeli car with gullwing doors and 5 guibos. Jay started this series for $500 cars, and if someone wants to really race and perhaps be competitive and not just cruise around the track, what's wrong with picking a car that's decent? Admittedly, those people should put way more work into the theme, and I will still talk smack on those who don't put in an effort in that department.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Wait, was the driver of a wartburg decribed as elitist for bashing BMW's?

What kind of parallel backwards universe have i stepped into here?

And to make the Bimmer enthusiasts head explode, the slant six in question should the VW slant six used in their LT vans.
http://www.autoweb.co.uk/car_pix/DSCF0019_112121457.jpg

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

60 (edited by Speedycop 2010-12-11 02:25 PM)

Jim wasn't called elitist. My attitude that E30's are boring and people should choose far more lemony cars instead of reliable race cars cars was called elitist. The spirit of Lemons is totally unlike that of any other domestic road racing series. Personally, I doubt the judges would ever give a single lap for overexpenditures on themes. You could spend a grand to put a dutch windmill on your roof, and they would love it. As long as you aren't making the car faster as a result, themes should be as cool and/or absurd as you can make them. The $500 rule is all about excluding the checkbook racers. I went $80 over on the Caddy and told them. It didn't matter. I went $100 over on the Lincoln a few races ago by accident (I assumed fuel pump was part of the fuel/safety system when I installed the cell, didn't actually read it, realized it later) and told them. Given that car's record of going fast and then blowing up, they didn't care.

Yeah, the rule is $500, and yeah, if you are forced (or accidentally) go over to be able to field a running car, you should always tell them, IMO. Phil's not gonna care if you went $300 over on your Reatta, he's just gonna grin and take pictures. I know, not everyone thinks like me. Many think the fun is in hiding go-fast parts, and bribing if they are caught. I refuse to bribe for lap reduction, because that would mean I cheated, and I refuse to cheat. However, I'm a bribing sumbitch when it comes to GOOJF cards! My team seems to need them on a regular basis, and the judges enjoy the bribes (like the bar stool kart I made them).

What's the point of this diatribe? You know if you have a strong theme. If you don't, create one. Don't worry too much about keeping receipts for theme work that can only slow you down. You've all seen a car/theme at a race and went "Oh man, that's AWESOME!" I'd like to see that on every race car. If you only have racing stripes and performance part decals, you're doing it wrong. That's the two cents of this elitist. smile

The folks who put on Lemons definitely have a preference for teams that bring a Volga 21 over teams that just want maximum seat time in a car of the same type as the ones they race in (insert name of spec series here). That said, team attitude counts for more than car type; you come to a race and show that you get it, you'll be welcomed to the next race.

I know this is like a four day old topic but I want to play a little mediator role here ... First I have not been involved long or to many races, but I think I understand.

Lemons folks (both organizers and racers) hate cheaters ... and some cars are just too good and or too easy to be cheaty.  E-30's, Miatas, 5.0 mustangs, small block chevys etc are easy to make fast, are very popular in regular racing and are as common as bellybuttons.

The original reason to have crappy cars is to make it accessable, safe and too keep the playing field level.  Bring something too fast or suck at driving and they kick you out or smash your car.

So cheat to give your self an advantage = you suck and are killing our fun!
Cheat to be weird/funny and clearly have no chance of winning because your V4 Volga is built with a 750lb snowplow and an I'll frost your nuts theme.... you are a god!

I don't think Speedycop or Jim T is being elitist when they say "we hate boring cars"  they are saying "we don't want Lemons to change.... We love this crazy place where we are awarded for our insanity"

Jeff
Three Pedal Mafia
Ombudsman - Coalition of Alternate Breakfast Meats

302s are meh on the cheatometer. SBCs are practically welcome anymore as unless your name is Pratt & Miller, you probably can't cheat enough with one to win, and if you're going in that direction, the judges will find out. E30s and Miatas are, by their nature, VERY desirable budget racers because of their Chassis & availability of mods. a Miata drivetrain in a chevette? you're golden. E30 with a Tempo body, you'll probably be scrutinized a lot but ultimately welcome.

Serj wrote:

E30 with a Tempo body, you'll probably be scrutinized a lot but ultimately welcome.

I don't think I'd even pop the hood on an E30 with a Tempo body. Do it!

Better yet, a Tempo with an E30 body.