Topic: Harness questions

I'm looking at race seats online, and it doesn't look like ANY come with a hole in the crotch area, so if you buy a seat, say a Sparco, do you have to cut a hole in the bottom so the anti-submarine belt can come straight up?  I'm kind of lost on this part.  I realize it has to be mounted vertically, but does that mean the belt also has to come straight up?  Any advice (or even better, pics) would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks guys!

Re: Harness questions

Trippin
There are a lot of seats out there Sparco does make seats with the Submarine belt hole sewn into the fabric. Most racing seats have the hole in the seat frame to accept the belt but some don't run a hole through the fabric, I think for looks.
Our First racing seat was a plastic bucket from Checker Auto it had the hole but the seat cover didn't. We took a propane torch and a piece of 1/4 x 2" steel heated it up and melted a hole through the fabric. Worked like a charm and fused the fabric so it doesn't tear.
Sparco Sprint 5 has the hole in the fabric.
Kirky makes several seats with the submarine hole.
Your best bet is to call the company before you buy from them. If they can't answer a simple question about the hole design in their seats find a another company who can. You definitely want good answers about something that costs a lot and could save your life.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Great info, bender, I didn't think about the fabric still being there for aesthetics.  Thanks again!

4 (edited by scrowner 2009-08-01 08:42 AM)

We purchased a Cobra Imola S for our BMW. The seat had a thigh cushion and a butt cushion. The thigh cushion was Velcroed down and could be removed to expose the crotch belt hole. Very nice design. I recommend the Cobra Imola - kevlar seat for less than $600. Yep, you can get cheaper seats but this seat worked great for 4 different size guys and we all were snug.

These guys have various seat mounts and sliders, one of which made the seat install a snap and adjustable as we had several different leg lengths.

www.vacmotorsports.com

'86 E30, '09 Stafford Aug, '10 CMP Feb, VIR Apr, Summit Jun,  CMP Sep
             '11 CMP Feb, Rock Mar, Charlotte Apr, Summit Jun
'68 MGB '11 NJMP Apr (winner IOE)

I bought my seats from www.safedrives.com , the guy there was very helpful on the phone and his prices were good. It also bolted right up to a Sparco bracket -w- slider, so seat installation took 10 minutes. The OMP Extra is indredibly comfortable as well (compared to my brother's Momo Start), perfect for big guys (6'2", 275 lb). Here's a picture:

http://www.carolinahondas.com/members/rmcdaniels-albums-lumberjetta-picture188-cage242.jpg

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!