Topic: Wintering over a LeMon

We we ripped out the HVAC controls during the prep of our car. We flushed the antifreeze out a few times to meet the water coolant requirement. Come winter time, I was planning on putting the antifreeze solution back (adjusting with additional anti-freeze as needed. But....

If I run the car, will enough coolant make it through the heater core so that it won't freeze, or maybe does it still have anti-freeze in it? Or do I need to rip that thing out?

BMW E28 '85 528e

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

Re: Wintering over a LeMon

I'm just planning to drain everything.  Running coolant through the lines only to flush it out again for next season seems wasteful.

I don't know about the E28, but there are drain plugs all over the MR2.

Mod Squad Racing
http://twosrus.com

That's all I did.  Pulled a radiator hose and ran all the water out.  Put junk tires on and called it good.

Property Devaluation Racing

Drivers wanted for TX races

I dunno. I think I'd still put SOME antifreeze into the system for the winter. all those internal cooling journals are uncoated metal to preserve heat transfer and prevent the chemicals used in such processes to become altered by heat and dissolve hoses and aluminum. That said, an uncoated metal part exposed to the air after being exposed to water will rust. having a frozen water pump wouldn't be fun to find out about in reno or CMP spring. Also, everyone knows leaving the water in may even be worse. imo it would be totally worth a few bucks for cheapo walmart antifreeze just so you aren't having to tear into the motor and check in the spring.

Although it's not a Lemons car, I pull the block drains and lower rad hose on my Triumph for winter storage and it's O.K. through -40 degree winters...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....