Topic: Can anyone recommend a cage builder in Oakland County Mi?

Can anyone recommend a cage builder in Oakland or Lapeer County Mi?  I've never had a roll cage in a car before so its all greek to me.

Re: Can anyone recommend a cage builder in Oakland County Mi?

I just got an estimate today from a guy who owns a race shop.  He said it would be similar to a 944 he did which ran $1300.  I was really hoping to get it done for a lot less.  FYI, his estimate was for DOM, not ERW and includes a dash bar and an extra roof diagonal.  I might be able to save a few bucks if I remove a few extras.

Other than this guy who does it as a side job out of his garage, I don't have any idea.  Let me know if you find a better price.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

That seems high I am hearing around $500 to $700 range.  I've also been talking to some teams that are not showing up this year and getting some of their roll cage guys.  I'll let you know what I hear there's a guy in Royal Oak that does it cheaply apparently.

Thanks, let me know via email if you find something soon.  jeffgrauer@yahoo.com  I need to let my cage guy know what's going on.  I can't imagine a good cage can be made for $500 since the tubing will cost $400 or more.  Anybody know the price delta between ERW and DOM?  I worry that DOM will become mandatory soon.  I'd hate to pay for two cages trying to save a few bucks with ERW!

'74 260Z

swracecars.com...Total would be $679.90 plus shipping.  This is for a Camaro.
We've got a couple more leads too..just didn't want to keep you hanging.

Thanks for the link.  There is very little info.  I assume they come as a pile of tubes ready for welding?  The cage for a Z looks to be $499 + shipping.  We do not have a welder on the team, so that would have to be added as well.

My guy tells me he doubts I can have one built any cheaper than his price.  He IS a fantastic fabricator and I know the cage would be A1.  I just hate to spend big bucks like that on a Lemons car!

If you get any more leads let me know.  Ideally, I am looking for a local shop since I'd have to hire a welder anyway if we get a kit.

'74 260Z

We got a kit from CSCRacing.com last year for $330 Canadian after shipping, but it was ERW rather than DOM.  DOM would probably put the price into the $500-$600 range.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

More info...

Kit # 11-1513TD DOM is the basic 10-point cage (through the dash) in DOM material. ($499.95)
Kit # 13-604 up-graded tubes in DOM material bring 10-point cage to SCCA specs     ($179,95)
Total would be $679.90 plus shipping
Let me know if you have any other questions. If you want us to make the cage, it will take 2 - 3 days.