Topic: Lights, and night racing.

We're planning on bringing the Opel to Reno-Fernley for the challenge and novelty of a 24 hour race. I don't know if R-F has any lights at all at te track, I haven't been there in several years, but I am sure they don't have any in the back section. Good lights will be essential.

First thing on our list is lights and we plan to make up a light bar and put four lights on it. I figure that just has to be a safety item.

Second, we will get some cheap plastic to install where our rear window had been, hopefully darkened/tinted plastic, and will put strips of tape on it to further reduce light that would blind the driver.

Third, we'll put some tape or something over the side-view mirrors, maybe just white dust tape, for the night portions of the race, again, to prevent blinding our drivers.

One of our drivers has a fair amount of experience with night racing, having done 24 hour races at the Nurburgring a number of times, and he insists these things are essential. He also told us that it takes his eyesight 5-10 seconds to recover from being blinded by other car's lights, and that can be a long time on a track.

Does anyone else have experience with these things?

Re: Lights, and night racing.

The events page for the R-F race gives the rules for lights. They are budget-exempt, but they have to be properly aimed, not roof-mounted, and so on.

3 (edited by Jeff G 78 2011-04-01 03:43 PM)

This has been covered many times, but my advice for an old car is to run new 12ga wire with relays.  Run 4 lights and split them up into two circuits so you can shut a pair off in case your alternator or battery ever starts to give out.  Aiming is THE most important thing.  Great lights with less than perfect aiming are useless.  OK lights with perfect aiming are better.

We raced the 14 hour CCWS race at GingerMan and it was pitch black.  Two lights must be aimed spot-on for aiding in corner entry.  Without entry lights, you are completely guessing at your turn-in points.  We use four 7" H4 lights and our 35 year old 50amp alternator works perfectly with no dimming even at idle.

Glare from behind was never an issue even with the hatch removed.  I actually welcomed the extra light when someone was behind me.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

I'd love to see some pictures  of good set-ups.

We'll be there, too.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Just to clarify, there are no lights on the track, so be prepared (oh, and keep your eyes out for  the wild horses).

Paul, aka BuFord Hogswaller:  Team Captain, Team Bavarian Ranchero and Team Pink Lloyd

Somewhat related: Anyone have any experience with those amber 'night' helmet shields?

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

7 (edited by laz 2011-04-02 10:24 PM)

Anybody have tips for aiming apex lights properly? I assume Friday's testing isn't going to go late enough to run into dusk.

To finish first, first you must finish. -Rick Mears
Pandamonium Racing

EyeMWing wrote:

Somewhat related: Anyone have any experience with those amber 'night' helmet shields?

I don't, but anything other than clear is going to filter out some light...which would be bad, wouldn't it?

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

obsolete wrote:
EyeMWing wrote:

I don't, but anything other than clear is going to filter out some light...which would be bad, wouldn't it?

The claims are:
1. they filter out UV light that you can't see, so your pupils open up letting in more of the light that you can see
2. they filter out hazy blue light so you can see more contrast in low light situations and everything is clearer

IMHO, they do give some benefit around dawn or dusk, but in the dead of night they don't help.

-Victor

Uh…this was another part of shop class I slept through…..”Two lights must be aimed spot-on for aiding in corner entry”…call me dumb, what is “spot on”? I second Trekkor’s request of photos for us slower students. I was thinking of wearing my headlamp for the required forward lighting, although I have some concern that it may washout my in car camera  smile

Hit n Run Racing
ORANGE V8 MAZDA RX7
Santa Cruz, CA

Hit n Run Racing wrote:

Uh…this was another part of shop class I slept through…..”Two lights must be aimed spot-on for aiding in corner entry”…call me dumb, what is “spot on”?

I pitted three laps in a row at the GingerMan CCWS race to have my left hand aux light re-aimed.  If the focal point was just a few feet off, the left hand turns were a bitch to navigate.  I literally had to turn-in by memory because I had no visual reference points at all.  Once they got the light aimed right, I was only about 2 seconds a lap slower than during the day.  The key is to get the apex lights aimed just right so that you can see the inside edge of the track under braking.  Too far out and you can't see far enough down the track.  Too straight and it's like wearing blinders.

If you put aux lights to the hood, be sure to mount them through a reinforced area where the hood inner is bonded to the outer so they don't vibrate.  A single layer of sheetmetal makes for a really crappy mounting surface.

Night racing is a hoot, but without properly aimed lights, it's downright scary.  I think that cross-eyed lights would be easier to aim, but now that ours are dialed in, we'll leave them alone as long as they don't get hit or have to be removed.  We have them covered right up until dusk.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i256/jeffg78/Lemons/IMG_4608.jpg

'74 260Z

sublimate wrote:
obsolete wrote:
EyeMWing wrote:

The claims are:
1. they filter out UV light that you can't see, so your pupils open up letting in more of the light that you can see
2. they filter out hazy blue light so you can see more contrast in low light situations and everything is clearer

IMHO, they do give some benefit around dawn or dusk, but in the dead of night they don't help.

They do help glare - Those crappy-assed Kmart Blue light specials on other cars (Diamond white, faux HID, poorly aimed HID, Chinese HID, etc) really screw with your focus and eyestrain, and the amber/yellow REALLY helps.

Yes, they do filter a percentage of light - so if the glare doesn't affect you they are not worth it.

Our MR2 had four lights mounted on a bar across the hood, anchored where the stock headlights had been.  at Nelson Ledges we aimed the two outboard lights toward the edge of the track; the two center lights were pointed forward.  this helped us locate the apex, and other cars' taillights helped with general navigation.

the biggest challenge for me was poorly-aimed (i.e., aimed way too high) lights on other cars shining right into our mirror, which made it difficult to see in front of me; i'd say about half the cars had lights aimed way too high.  do everyone a favor and consider not only the horizontal aiming of your lights, but also the vertical aiming.  and add more wattage than you think you'll need.

all that said, night racing was a LOT of fun (and NL is pitch-black at night).

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Buzz Killington wrote:

...all that said, night racing was a LOT of fun (and NL is pitch-black at night).

I thought NL was dark until I drove at GingerMan with only 14 cars on the track.  GingerMan was just as remote, but there were rarely any other cars around to help light the way like at NL.  It was nice to keep the glare down, but it's amazing how much it helps to have a car in front or behind you to throw light on the track.

'74 260Z

For Louisiana, our setup had junkyard fog lights (low, wide beam) mounted at 45-degree angles outward as apex lights. They're the ones below the bar. The remainder of the lights were aimed in a spread. The innermost two Hellas were at 2 degrees down, a few degrees outward; the next two lights were ~4.5 degrees down, spread a little wider; final two Hellas were ~6 degrees down and even wider.
In the end we had about 160 degrees of light ahead of us.
http://ronman.org/pics/Lemons/nola10/img_8997_std.jpg(Photo by Ronman, he has lots more. http://ronman.org/pics/Lemons/nola10/img_8997.htm)
As Jeff said, use new heavy-gauge wiring, in at least two circuits, run with relays.
Here's some great advice on relays and light aiming

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

Mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
Can you post a photo of your light set up? Thanks for the reply.
Steve

Hit n Run Racing
ORANGE V8 MAZDA RX7
Santa Cruz, CA

Hit n Run Racing wrote:

Steve

here you go.  one connector for the lights; the whole thing is bolted on and can be removed by four nuts in about 45 seconds.  the pic is not a good representation of the light output.

http://schumachertaxiservice.com/mr2fix/slides/100_1821.jpg

12+-time loser

Buzz Killington wrote:
Hit n Run Racing wrote:

Steve

here you go.  one connector for the lights; the whole thing is bolted on and can be removed by four nuts in about 45 seconds.  the pic is not a good representation of the light output.

http://schumachertaxiservice.com/mr2fix … 0_1821.jpg

Mike, what type of connectors did you use? Those look nice & simple. Our wiring was admittedly messy. Is that a PC-style connector or something sold for automotive purposes? Trailer wiring? Other?

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

Thanks Mike.
Steve

Hit n Run Racing
ORANGE V8 MAZDA RX7
Santa Cruz, CA

*shrug*  i'm not the electrical guy on the team.  it was a harness-type snap connector similar to the other connectors on the car.  i've seen stuff like it at Pep Boys, etc.

12+-time loser

You still have the "flip over" stock light mounts...you could install a couple there and two more Hella style on the hood should be enough...but can the alt handle the extra amps?

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Just a thought, but I'm going to be running the Vision X lights I have on my off-road Jeep which are LEDs.  The nice thing about this is it draws very, very little amperage and only 10 watts per LED; each LED produces 900 lumens.  You can run as few as 2 LEDs per housing, or up to 28.  For reference a single standard Hella 500 puts out 1450 lumens.

The bad news is these aren't cheap (they cost more than my Lemons racer...several times over), but if you're really up against a power issue, it could be a solution.  If there's sufficient interest, I can contact my guy there and see if he'd be willing to do a group buy discount or something.  Here's my Jeep running 8 LEDs:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/ixnayxj/VisionX1.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/ixnayxj/visionx2.jpg

-Matt

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

pgeorgeson wrote:

Just to clarify, there are no lights on the track, so be prepared (oh, and keep your eyes out for  the wild horses).

When we stopped for a look after Infineon, the track manager said they may bring in more lights, but it would only be for the pits/front straight section. The track has a ton of turns - he said there are so many, they don't even name/put a number on them.
You'll need to watch out for volcanic rock, cactus and other desert detritus too, so try not to go off-track. Just sayin'...

Team photographer and "sure I'll drive" hanger-on: more races than I ever imagined... MRolla/FX32/Mormon Meteor IV
http://www.facebook.com/StickFigureRacing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkiel/coll … 604631509/
http://www.jkiel.com/

icemang17 wrote:

You still have the "flip over" stock light mounts...you could install a couple there and two more Hella style on the hood should be enough...but can the alt handle the extra amps?

The Opel's 35 amp alternator couldn't handle the lights it had. At BW the car cranked weaker and weaker throughout the day and we had to put in on a charger at night. After BW I did a review of the Opel electrical loads and if everything in a stock Opel was on, except the heater blower motor, it would pull nearly 60 amps! Most Opel owners find that after they ditch the original alternator that their lights are surprisingly bright and the stereo even works properly. I replaced the alternator as part of our total rewire for Pointless. I think we have the capacity to run more lights now.

Like I said earlier, we have plenty of power with our 50amp alternator.  We've run the lights, blower, and wipers with no issues, even at idle.  Proper heavy gauge wiring and relays are vital.

'74 260Z