Topic: Budget Question: Spares

Do spare parts count towards the the budget? I am assuming not but then again I have been wrong before.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Re: Budget Question: Spares

I've been wondering the same thing, what about the jack, change under the seat and Michael Jackson tape you found after buying the car?

JMBishop wrote:

I've been wondering the same thing, what about the jack, change under the seat and Michael Jackson tape you found after buying the car?

Hey that's all gravy baby...

Funny you should mention MJ though... I did find a couple cassettes of his in the vette after I got it.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Spare parts or spare cars for that matter do not count.   The jack we had in the trunk actually sold for $15!!  Remember the $$ you make from selling the interior, stereo, speakers, etc gets credited to your $500 limit.

We are the people your parents warned you about.

5 (edited by Jeff G 78 2009-08-09 05:13 AM)

While spares don't count, don't expect to drop in your spare adjustable Koni shocks or lopey race motor half way through the race and not get noticed.  The spares must be of equal crappiness to the broken junk you take off.   tongue

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Good point Jeff G!  A team did that at CMP in the Spring with tires (changed to slicks after tech and before the race) and got busted.  Jay pulled the valve stems on all 4 tires and I think made the team push the car back to the pits themselves.  hehehe
It doesn't pay to not follow the rules.

We are the people your parents warned you about.

Basically, your accountable for what's actually on the car.

As far as stuff in the car goes, our parts car came with a nice stack of receipts.  One of which was for the lifetime warranty alternator.  The one on the parts car was mucho dead.  Took it to the parts store withe the receipt and boom, free alternator!

I've been tempted to try the same thing with the dry rotted tires that no longer hold air but I just doubt that's gonna happen.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

8 (edited by Riktor 2009-08-10 12:15 AM)

Jeff G 78 wrote:

While spares don't count, don't expect to drop in your spare adjustable Koni shocks or lopey race motor half way through the race and not get noticed.  The spares must be of equal crappiness to the broken junk you take off.   tongue

Okay... We are looking for a stock for stock drivetrain but we are having a hard time finding the same deal... I think if they counted the cost of the spare... we'd kinda be SOL...

I don't even know if this engine is going to work due to the amount of work that is going to be required. But I didn't see anything in the rules about it.

So I just wanted to verify. I have seen a bunch of engine carnage from Lemons. We want to be prepared...

Sons of STIG

Wait a sec Riktor, did you say Vette?  Where in the world are you going to find a $500 Vette?

Riktor wrote:
Jeff G 78 wrote:

Okay... We are looking for a stock for stock drivetrain but we are having a hard time finding the same deal... I think if they counted the cost of the spare... we'd kinda be SOL...

I don't even know if this engine is going to work due to the amount of work that is going to be required. But I didn't see anything in the rules about it.

I just want to make sure you know the rules here... 

Spares, as everyone else is talking about, are parts that you bring to the race to help you finish the race.  Spare brake calipers, struts, wheel bearings, engines, trannys, alternators, etc. 

As it may appear in your post, you bought a car for $500 (maybe with a blown engine) and are looking to replace the engine with another similar engine.  That will count against your budget.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

11 (edited by Riktor 2009-08-10 11:02 AM)

harddriveracing.com wrote:

Wait a sec Riktor, did you say Vette?  Where in the world are you going to find a $500 Vette?

The Vette we got for salvage won't be used this season. It was a steet/strip car that caught fire due to faulty wiring. We bought it back from an insurance company for $150.

You can see pics here http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=465

Besides C4 vettes are cheap now. You can find some that were going to be track cars and then the owner abandoned them and are willing to sell them for next to nothing.

See Here:

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=471

RobL wrote:

As it may appear in your post, you bought a car for $500 (maybe with a blown engine) and are looking to replace the engine with another similar engine.  That will count against your budget.

So for the next season we will be using our Fiero. But yes the 2.5L is dead... or atleast would die if we tried to use it for racing.

I was working on another project and managed to get a hold of a late model Toyota Engine out of a Camry (i think... there wasn't much left of the car). Before removing it from the remains of the vehicle, the junkyard had agreed on a price of $250. So we dropped the cradle, for ease of removal, and the guy came over and loaded the entire drive-train into the back of our truck. Too our amazement he didn't charge us any more for the trans, suspension, wiring or cradle. It was a straight $250 for the ENTIRE drive-train. I was prepared to pay more but he simply asked "Well that's what you wanted right?"

Keep in mind he has more fingers than teeth.

So my concern is that we will get the bullshit flag and get (pardon my language) fucked in the ass because we want to have at least one spare and you can't find entire drive-trains like the one we have for cheap. Granted it is not a bad price $750-1500. But it puts us outside the rules. I am a fair player but if some one sells me an entire meal when all I wanted was the burger, but doesn't charge me more... I am not going to say no.

Sons of STIG

12 (edited by Jer 2009-08-10 11:28 AM)

You guys are going to get penalized on the vette.  Just watch the whining factor so you don't make it worse.

EDIT: Just saw the photos.  I take it back.  LOL

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Jer wrote:

You guys are going to get penalized on the vette.  Just watch the whining factor so you don't make it worse.

EDIT: Just saw the photos.  I take it back.  LOL

MMMmmm yeah... not much left of the car except the good parts. Engine, trans, suspension and brakes. Only one tire made it through the fire... two shocks. The Metal in the frame what weakened by teh heat so we cut it off and sold it for scrap.

If/When we use the vette it will be a tube chassis welded to whats left of the frame. We KNOW we'll be penalized for that car. And we'll be prepped for it.

But the Fiero we are trying to stay inside the rules. Close to the edge... but we will play completely within the confines of the rules...

Hense the questions. If there is any doubt... ask a question.

Sons of STIG

Yeah, on the spares, we don't have a hard-and-fast rule...we love seeing teams use spare parts to get back on the track, but we definitely don't like teams running through B.S. on hooptie parts and then swapping them out. Yes, we will notice, and even if we don't, the People's Curse will "find a way," just like the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park. Jeff G is on the right track--swap out broken parts with working parts of equal hooptiness, and you'll be fine.

15 (edited by cpmskinny 2009-08-10 04:49 PM)

Yeah, you gotta watch those other competitors, they are quick to throw you under the bus if you even touch your car after inspection before the race starts.

"Sharp as Bear Claws and Slicker Than Goose Shit"
Lab Rats Motorsports
1990 VW Jetta
Charlotte, NC

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

Yeah, on the spares, we don't have a hard-and-fast rule...we love seeing teams use spare parts to get back on the track, but we definitely don't like teams running through B.S. on hooptie parts and then swapping them out. Yes, we will notice, and even if we don't, the People's Curse will "find a way," just like the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park. Jeff G is on the right track--swap out broken parts with working parts of equal hooptiness, and you'll be fine.

All parts will be equal... just find spares at the same cost is proving problematic...

Cool... Thanks for the clarification.

Sons of STIG