Topic: Passenger door weld?

Our POS was nice and cheap due to low speed passenger side door crash. Assuming we can't straighten it up enough to open freely, is it acceptable to weld the door shut to keep it from flying open?  I guess this is pretty common in the drag world, but I am accustomed to having that extra room for egress by the driver in the event of a rollover.

Re: Passenger door weld?

why don't you rig some kind of interior latch for it? that way it will stay shut, and the driver can exit if necessary. Personally I think I'd like to be able to get out that way if I had to.

Josh Poage
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2009 Yee-haw It's Texas
Prison Break Racing - 1986 325e #27 - 2010 Gator-o-Rama
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas

Our doors are going to be welded shut but then again none of our drivers are over 200lbs and can easily fit through the window opennings.

So as far as i can guess but the rules, it's not a safety concern but a personal comfort issue.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

engineerchris wrote:

Our POS was nice and cheap due to low speed passenger side door crash. Assuming we can't straighten it up enough to open freely, is it acceptable to weld the door shut to keep it from flying open?  I guess this is pretty common in the drag world, but I am accustomed to having that extra room for egress by the driver in the event of a rollover.

At Altamont last year we had to strap the door solid to pass inspection.
This year we skinned our passenger door except for the door card.
we put additional bracing in and welded it solid to the front fender and door pillar, worked like a charm. One of the  tech inspectors at Reno grabbed it pretty hard and tugged on it and moved on with the inspection. I don't know of any rules saying you can't, just do a nice job.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

We have welded ours solid and utilize the Dukes of Hazzard entry style every time.  Kind of makes you feel like you are doing some real racing if you don't have to shut the door behind you.

"Sharp as Bear Claws and Slicker Than Goose Shit"
Lab Rats Motorsports
1990 VW Jetta
Charlotte, NC