1 (edited by Porschelou 2011-05-05 07:22 PM)

Topic: Drag Racing a Lemons Car?

Has anyone ever run there Lemons car at a drag strip?   We started having engine issues at the last CMP race and have no where to test it out.  Friday night we are headed to the local 1/4 mile drag strip for Test & Tune night.  Should be fun - as long as we don't blow the motor, trans or rear end.  Brakes shouldn't be an issue for the first time smile  Our only problem is that some of our drivers will think they are really drag racing and will start wanting to do burn-outs and dump the clutch at 5k.

Should be interesting to see what people think we are doing with our mad max themed e30..   Not your typically camaro or mustang..    We have already talked about wearing all of our racing gear and running a quick 16-18sec 1/4 mile and having everyone laugh at us..

Road Warrior Racing - Ford Falcon XB

Re: Drag Racing a Lemons Car?

My goal is to enter the Cherokee in as many different types of motorsport events as possible.  I want to try to do a rally cross, autocross, drag racing and maybe...maybe 1 Lap of America.  Also I think Bonneville would be hilarious. 

Say...anybody seen that lottery ticket I misplaced laying around?

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

17.92 seconds!  I almost got beat by an old XL250.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

2 years ago Lemons and the BABE rally both ended up at No Problem raceway at the same time.  There was an informal competition staged between the 2.  The locals enjoyed our slow rusty piles making runs more than the 10second mustang and other "nice" cars that were there that night.
I thing some of the BABE guys who run a scooter shop even drag raced their scooters that night.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

My Mark VIII went 13.50 at No Problem granny shifting with an axle-hopping launch. Good times...

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

The next (think Phoenix) version of the bird will definitely get some passes in...

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

New Orleans Motorsports park is opening this August. They are featuring a Dragin Lap, which is a drag race start with timing at the eight and quarter mile then continue on to the 2.1 mile road course and get a total time on the track. Lets have the Lemon's August event Car's make a roadtrip to NOLA Motorsports Park which is about 70 miles south of No Problem. What a way to open a new track and event. Just imagine 500 dollar crap heaps at their tech for the Dragin Lap!

Wetland American Racing (WAR)  #77 Swamp Thang Granada
2011 Cain't get Bayou IOE and Class C winner
Shop Location: Bayou Self, La.

JThw8 wrote:

2 years ago Lemons and the BABE rally both ended up at No Problem raceway at the same time.  There was an informal competition staged between the 2.  The locals enjoyed our slow rusty piles making runs more than the 10second mustang and other "nice" cars that were there that night.
I thing some of the BABE guys who run a scooter shop even drag raced their scooters that night.

Pride of Cleveland Scooters is the shop. They drove down in a bigass old Ford Econoline, with three spare scooters in case of catastrophic engine failure. My favorite was still the Shinook RV dragging its ass down the strip.

You could tell when Lemons teams realized they were shortening the lifespan of their cars when the quality of drag cars went up to daily drivers. Best was the Porsche Cayenne Turbo lined up (and roasted) some over-cammed Camaro POS. Did you bother to turn the traction control and A/C off?

-=Tom

-=HFC Tom

pennintj wrote:
JThw8 wrote:

Pride of Cleveland Scooters is the shop. They drove down in a bigass old Ford Econoline, with three spare scooters in case of catastrophic engine failure. My favorite was still the Shinook RV dragging its ass down the strip.

You could tell when Lemons teams realized they were shortening the lifespan of their cars when the quality of drag cars went up to daily drivers. Best was the Porsche Cayenne Turbo lined up (and roasted) some over-cammed Camaro POS. Did you bother to turn the traction control and A/C off?

-=Tom

Yeah, I knew it was POC (obviously) but noone here knows them so I went generic smile  The econoline has finally bid a fond farewell and they are back in a Tempo this year.

I couldnt get my 69 olds to break 18 seconds, just as well since it didnt stop well.

As far as shortening the lifespan of cars Im sure you heard that one of our partner teams threw a rod in their Fiero less than 30 minutes after leaving the drags....that was just the start of one very interesting trip back north.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

TeamPettyCash wrote:

My goal is to enter the Cherokee in as many different types of motorsport events as possible.  I want to try to do a rally cross, autocross, drag racing and maybe...maybe 1 Lap of America.  Also I think Bonneville would be hilarious. 

Say...anybody seen that lottery ticket I misplaced laying around?

and dont forget the Baja 1000     it IS a jeep after all !!!!!!!!

spectator "Lamest Day 09",DNF "American Irony" 2010,DNS "Capitol Offense"2010,DNF "Gingervitis"2011,DNF"ShowroomShlock"2011 maybe someday....                                                                                     
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"luckily I didnt go into the mountain,.......I went over the cliff. I was doin 300 MPH sideways and 100 ft. down at the same time............"

I took a road race car to the strip for the same reason, and they freaked out about the lack of windows.  I guess you are supposed to have arm restraints if you have no front windows.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

prime suspect wrote:

Waaaay ahead of you.  There's actually a class just for Cherokees called "JeepSpeed."  I photoshopped this up as a proof of concept. 

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a399/dlddesign/PhotoShop/TPCJumped.jpg

-Matt

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

TeamPettyCash wrote:
prime suspect wrote:

Waaaay ahead of you.  There's actually a class just for Cherokees called "JeepSpeed."  I photoshopped this up as a proof of concept. 

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a399/ … Jumped.jpg

-Matt

have you ever worked for BP public relations?

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

14 (edited by TeamPettyCash 2011-05-08 01:21 PM)

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

have you ever worked for BP public relations?

Nope.  Why, are they looking to sponsor a desert race effort?  Lol

your photoshop skills are on par for their oil cleanup pics

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John