Re: Calling all CRAZY Lemons racers... (SHORT NOTICE RACING IDEAS)

Jeff G 78 wrote:

Chicago might even be closer than Detroit.

Both ORD and MDW are shorter drives to South Haven than DTW per Google.  (I don't know where the track is relative to the municipality, but at best, MDW is shorter and ORD is a wash.)

#(1)75 (was #74) Dirt Cheap Racing (driver/wrench/cool suit cooler fabricator/accountant/substitute captain) - '88 Mustang turbo-4, in garish stickers over spray chrome!
2011 - Garrapatas (11th / 3rd in B), Heaps in the Heart of Texas (19th / 3rd in B)
2012 and 2013 - Lemons didn't fit into our schedule
2014 - Heaps in the Heart of Texas

52 (edited by Speedycop 2011-07-13 05:36 AM)

The plan would be to pick the car up by midday Friday, bring it straight to the track, and begin welding the cage. I can bring a good welder, oxy/ac torch (big bottles), generator, BSKOD, tools, and metal stock. dsycks has a nice Camaro cage we can use. I'll also bring a seat/mount, harness, cutoff switch, extinguisher/mount, etc. I would probably need some different wheels/tires (Welds with front skinnies *might* be less than ideal on a road course in a tank like this). I have some, I'll have to look and see what all I have. I would probably do the welding, unless I bring the flux core welder too, and have two welding at once.

In true Speedycop fashion, looks would be more important than functionality, so I'd bring paint/brushes/rollers, and use volunteers to paint the exterior while I weld on Friday. It only has to be pretty in pictures---those of you familiar with my Thunderbird and Donk know what I'm talking about. Perhaps the same tractor red the T-bird had would set the car off the most in shots. Black would suit it better, but not show it off as well out on track.

All this is contingent on the largely unresponsive seller locking in a deal with me. I've gotten one email reply so far saying it IS still available, and it didn't have a number to call. He hasn't called me either. Hopefully I hear back today...

Seats are still open, though a number have expressed interest. Yes, it's insanely short notice, but it wouldn't be as epic if it wasn't. You snooze, you lose...

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

guess I'm down, not like I have a life.  For wheels ad tires, move the skinnys to the back axles and just use the rears for the front.  I am down for doing the brakes, is there an address we can ship things to?

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

Cool! I wouldn't ship tools (we'll have enough) or parts (easy to get locally). You thinking of shipping a driver's suit? I would guess the track can receive packages (call to be sure), but you need to put 24 Hours of Lemons, Care of Jeff Bloch on it. You flying then?

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)

I wonder how much it would cost me to fly Fedex?

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

I'm driving up Friday from Chicago. If anyone is thinking of flying into Chicago early enough I'll take you to the track.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

Speedycop wrote:

I would guess the track can receive packages (call to be sure), but you need to put 24 Hours of Lemons, Care of Jeff Bloch on it.

Yes, you can ship stuff to the track c/o 24 Hours of Lemons.

i was going to order some decent race pads and Motul fluid.  just one less hassle.  Haven't booked a flight yet, still firming things up.  Looks like I can get a ticket local for 400 each way.  What time and where are you looking to wrench?  I can help with all of it, including the welding.

89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

59 (edited by Speedycop 2011-07-13 02:47 PM)

It will be at the track, and it will be whenever we get there, until whenever we finish, which should be about ten minutes after the green flag drops, judging by my track record for last minute builds. I think race pads and Motul fluid would be overkill, we'd have to baby this thing around the track, NOT "race" it until it breaks. Although, the Hawk pads on the front of the Donk made a HUGE difference.

BTW, I'm in talks with the seller. He said he wouldn't go lower than $1900. I offered $1500, and reminded him his ad said $1800 OBO. He seemed surprised, and said he needed to talk with his business partner about it. I'll do what I can.

yeah, for the cost it is worth dodging the hassle.  We were swapping out pads after every two hours on the MRolla.  the stockers would just cook off.  For as cheap as it is, is is nice to have one less thing that will fail. 

So what is actual under the skin?  Let me know when you close the deal and I'll order the parts.

1980 el camino, with a 350.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but do a good job on that cage... or you're not racing.  Jeff is Tech inspector...      Don't weld on the cage with a flux core...

Have fun and good luck.  This is terrible idea, I love it!!!!!

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Speedycop wrote:

said he needed to talk with his business partner about it. I'll do what I can.

His business partner? Man, you're dealing with high rollers here!

Seller says he's not budging on $1900. I still haven't received a check I've been waiting all week for that was gonna cover this expedition. Jackasic and my other driver have graciously offered to kick in extra to help cover the costs. I'm trying to make this work, but it's gonna be close. The seller said he'd look at my Maserati pics at 10am tomorrow, to decide if he'd take that in partial trade. I offered it plus $300, with free delivery. If he backed out, we'd be caging a Maserati...

Dsycks, give me a shout. I sent you an email.

Evil Genius wrote:

I don't want to rain on your parade, but do a good job on that cage... or you're not racing.  Jeff is Tech inspector...      Don't weld on the cage with a flux core...

Have fun and good luck.  This is terrible idea, I love it!!!!!

Thanks, John. I'll just stick to my good gas-shielded Miller welder.

This is nearby, if we wanted a substitute:
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/2484424977.html

Too bad it's not epic enough.

If you end up with the Eldo, get in touch afterwards - item #1 on my Skunkwerks list involves an Eldo 500 as a starting point.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

I've been trying to snag one locally, with no success.

let me know what you do, I'll probably just book a flight and help Phil for the weekend if nothing else.  Debating a personal car purchase also, so I have other motivations.

That Eldo is extremely epic, actually.

I say grab the Eldo and make it a sawzall convertible!

Much cheaper and every bit as cool.

The long 6 wheel car is cool but they think they have you over a barrel. Tell them you talked to your business partners and they think they should stuff it.

SO sorry that I can't make it to drive. I would love to but family issues make it fully impossible. If I could make it, I would actually rather rock the caddy but thats just me.

PS- Your gonna need a lot of 5 gallon utility jugs. tongue

Daniel Sycks

Speedycop wrote:

Seller says he's not budging on $1900. I still haven't received a check I've been waiting all week for that was gonna cover this expedition. Jackasic and my other driver have graciously offered to kick in extra to help cover the costs. I'm trying to make this work, but it's gonna be close. The seller said he'd look at my Maserati pics at 10am tomorrow, to decide if he'd take that in partial trade. I offered it plus $300, with free delivery. If he backed out, we'd be caging a Maserati...

Dsycks, give me a shout. I sent you an email.

Jeff, if we're taking the Maserati, count me in for whatever the benjamins are.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

Frankly, I like the Eldo idea a whole lot. After sleeping on it, $1900 just seems far too steep for a car I probably won't be able to unload after its raced. My pockets are waaay too shallow for that. I only gave
$500 for the GORGEOUS 425i BiTurbo, so if he wants that and like $300, it becomes doable again. If we wanted to run the Maserati, I'd need to order a slave cylinder rebuild and good brake pads today, and have them overnighted to the track.

Anybody that's gonna be there know Maseratis? It has wiring and charging issues...

75 (edited by Speedycop 2011-07-14 04:42 AM)

dsycks wrote:

I say grab the Eldo and make it a sawzall convertible!

Much cheaper and every bit as cool.

I was thinking Boss Hog themed 'vert. Great minds think alike!
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_FoXyvaPSnVk/SGQ1mS74zHI/AAAAAAAAvlo/qnFzMSitR2k/s400/Cadillac_Eldorado_Boss_3.JPG

I hope DC Doug doesn't mind wearing a white suit! Who has some horns they can bring?