Topic: Tow rig fuel economy

I have a question for those who tow various trailers.  My teammate just bought a 2001 F350 crew cab 7.3L diesel manual trans dually 4x2 flatbed (wow, that was a mouthful).  He is now on the hunt for a used trailer.  I keep trying to push him into a ~24' enclosed trailer so we can keep spares in it and sleep in it if needed.  He thinks an open trailer is the way to go for better fuel economy and ease of use for short trips and track days.  Up until now, we have taken two tow rigs to each race - one with an open trailer and the second with a 28' camper.  We carried tons all of our tires, spares, and tools inside the camper which will now have to get to the track some other way.  The camper is no longer even crapcan worthy, so we're likely sleeping in tents for the next race or two.

My question is this... How much worse will the mileage be with the enclosed trailer compared to an open trailer with our diesel tow rig?  I'm thinking we'll be far better off with an enclosed trailer and all of our stuff in one rig rather than trying to carry stuff to the track on the small flatbed of the dually and likely an additional E350 van.  The trailer cost isn't as big of a deal, but it does factor in too.

For those who have upgrades to an enclosed trailer, what are your thoughts?

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Re: Tow rig fuel economy

Open trailer I got 11 or so with an overloaded Avalanche.  Closed I get 7.5.  That thing is a SAIL.  It's not the weight, it's the giant square you're pushing through the air.

3 (edited by EyeMWing 2011-08-26 07:43 PM)

I've been seeing semi trucks with aero kits that bolt onto the front of the trailer above the cab line to deflect air around it. Waiting to see a kit appear for our sort of trailer (you could probably adapt one, of course). For now, though, it seems the only "aerodynamic" consideration are the ones with the wedge shaped front (which sacrifice like, all your useful cubage)

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

We probably get ~15 mpg towing an enclosed Featherlite v-neck with a Dodge 2500 diesel.  I think the V makes a difference.

The enclosed is worth it's weight, IMO.  Everything stays dry and secure to, from, and at the track.  We don't unpack most of the stuff most of the time.

bs

Enclosed would be my target as well. Sadly its also the target of folks who steal trailers.

Daniel Sycks

My 2010 chevy 1500 2wd with the 5.3L gets 15mpg towing a 5000lb open trailer......but with the 24' triple axle big box @ 8000lbs it drops to 10mpg.....and I have only towed on flat roads at 60mph....

the open trailer almost feels like there is nothing back there...vs the big box you KNOW is there!!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

I would  get the  enclosed for the factor of place to sleep ,we made fold down bunk beds in one we had that were work benches also .
Factor in hotel rooms into equation . That will offset the fuel mileage .

If he chips that truck he will get better .my buddy tows a 2 car hauler and get 15 mpg
With his  15k 38 ft toy hauler 5th wheel he gets 10 .

I got a 4 car getting 4-10 mpg . 

The enclosed is worth the expense especially if it rains at track .also place to store race car .

I was thinking of an old Uhaul truck for storage and a tow vehicle.

Plus 1 on enclosed

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

your f350 is direct injection and turbo, right? I wanted an enclosed 24' trailer but after hauling 2 cars around on a really really light 24' open trailer and seeing the difficulty my idi non turbo diesel has getting uphill, there's no way I could handle a couple thousand more pounds. plus the added wind resistance.

Something else to consider around here is the winds-- there are relatively frequent "high wind advisorys" for high profile vehicles when the santa-anas are kicking. Another reason I'm just going to stick with the open trailer for now.

There is a reason that most people go with an enclosed trailer.  I used an open trailer for 4 years, and then moved to a 26 foot enclosed.  There is NO way I would go back to an open trailer.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

10 (edited by disarrae 2011-08-27 02:42 PM)

I love my 24' flatbed, gooseneck.  Hauls like a dream and it weighs 3k, it's highly engineered.  But  similar to Spank, we haul with an '88 F250 IDI, and um well, there's just not a lot of go to begin with.

If you do go enclosed, go with a gooseneck.  It'll tow better and is a lot easier to move around.  Plus you get the added bonus of extra storage and it's harder to steal.  Oh, and torsion axles FTW!  So much better than leaf springs!

Putting the "dirty" in Dirty Little Freaks Racing
~stalk us on facebook

Diesel prices being what they are you could save enough in fuel costs with a flat bed to get a hotel room and a decent nights sleep.  ( depnending on the length of the haul. )

How to make a small fortune in racing... start with a large one.

Tow with the E350. Same tow rating, but it is already pushing the air for the van. The enclosed is drafting behind.

Unless you have an old IDI like me and Spank. I can hardly get mine over a hill with an open trailer. Maybe it's time to ghettocharge the van.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

An 2001 F350 Powerstroke has the best version of the 7.3 TDI.  It is probably the best diesel Ford ever put in a light duty truck. 

I've got a 1995 7.3 TD and it's pretty good but the TDI motors are better.  The previous 7.3 IDI is quite different from the Powerstrokes.  One of the biggest differences is reduced fuel economy.

Regarding and open trailer vs an enclosed.  I have both and when it race weekend, it's enclosed trailer all the way.  My enclosed trailer is 18,' slight V-nosed and all steel so it's heavy.  I still get double digit fuel economy towing the enclosed with a cab over in the truck. 

http://angiem357.smugmug.com/Cars/Racing/North-Dallas-Hooptie-Eagles/i-n2sGvkg/1/M/P4220065-M.jpg

Now that I have the enclosed trailer, I store the car and many of the parts in it.  I built a shelf down one side that holds tires and parts.  I want to add a second self but haven't gotten around to it.

I've added power outlets and lights, we haul a fridge and sooner or later will probably add A/C.  I need to install the awning.

Enclosed trailer definitely seem to be worth the lose in fuel economy but they do cost a good bit more than an open trailer.

Regarding a gooseneck/fifth wheel versus a bumper pull, I'd wany at least 28' if I went to a gooseneck style.  I with my bumper pull was a 24' but I only paid $500 for my enclosed so I'm happy.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Thanks all for the help.  If it were up to me, we'd have an enclosed trailer, but my teammate just can't get past the fuel economy.  He showed up at my house today with his new purchase, an old, rusty open trailer.  sad  At least it's fairly big and has a full steel deck.  I still think he made the wrong choice, but it's his money, so I can't complain.  I have no idea what our sleeping arrangements will be at the ChumpCar Nelson Ledges race in October.  I sure hope the weather is better than in '09 if we are sleeping in tents!

'74 260Z

Boooo for steel decks!  They are slippery as snot and heavy as hell.  Just make him pay for ALL the fuel towing there and back and see if he changes his mind.  Or if you're a dataslut like me, calculate the difference between an enclosed trailer based on the figures in this thread and what he actually gets and then show him the graph.  On the plus side, you can sleep ON the trailer and stay out of the puddles?!?

Putting the "dirty" in Dirty Little Freaks Racing
~stalk us on facebook

Rig of choice is an 04 GMC 3500 with an 8.1 gas motor with an Alison.  I prefer big blocks as a) gas is cheaper than diesel, b) repairs and upkeep are cheaper, and c) purchase price is cheaper.  Also nice that after a race you can dump the left over gas in the tow rig and head home.

I get 10 with an open trailer and 8 with the enclosed, 12 when running empty on the highway.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/224704_10150245207912150_669992149_8840629_3038214_n.jpg

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

Jackasic wrote:

Rig of choice is an 04 GMC 3500 with an 8.1 gas motor with an Alison.  I prefer big blocks as a) gas is cheaper than diesel, b) repairs and upkeep are cheaper, and c) purchase price is cheaper.  Also nice that after a race you can dump the left over gas in the tow rig and head home.

I get 10 with an open trailer and 8 with the enclosed, 12 when running empty on the highway.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- … 8214_n.jpg

agreed on the big block ...  A friend has a 2002 2500 4x4 with the 8.1L-Allison combo....pulls great with the 8000lb enclosed....also gets about 8mpg like you do..... 

Another friend has an 04 Duramax 4x4 2500.....he pulls the exact same trailer at 14mpg.....  So figure 31 cents per mile for the diesel....and 46 cents for the gas.... & 37 cents for my 1/2 ton....

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Jackasic wrote:

Also nice that after a race you can dump the left over gas in the tow rig

All those blown motors means you have never paid for towing gas, right?

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

that is why I field two cars at a time.

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

bshorey wrote:

We probably get ~15 mpg towing an enclosed Featherlite v-neck with a Dodge 2500 diesel.  I think the V makes a difference.

The enclosed is worth it's weight, IMO.  Everything stays dry and secure to, from, and at the track.  We don't unpack most of the stuff most of the time.

bs

The v-nose is worth almost 2mpg on most diesels.

Eric Subliminal racing #711 e30
11 detroit dnf, 11 autobahn 4th, 12 detroit 2nd, 12 autobahn 1st
Rip #71 crx killed at autobahn 2010. 10 smt pt, 10 bull gp,10 rod b. smashed

I keep telling you guys you are doing it all wrong

19.5 MPG on regular:
http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LTW11/LTW11-UG-0502.jpg

Bad link John.

Daniel Sycks

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

19.5 MPG on regular:

What a trailer like that weigh empty? I need to find something about 1500lbs so my 2500lbs car can be towed by my little Colorado.  I may just come down to renting a truck and trailer at Uhaul though.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

19.5 MPG on regular:

Umm....what is the "tow rating" of the Nissan Sentra or Altima in this pic?  It CAN'T be near the 4000lbs required for that setup! 

A 928 is rated for 3500lbs.....so it might be possible to tow a racing 928 in a super lightweight aluminum trailer!

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

25 (edited by Jeff G 78 2011-08-30 02:48 PM)

Tow rating schmoe rating Richard.  tongue
I once towed an 8500 lb. skid steer/heavy contractor trailer with a 3500 tow rated 2nd gen 4Runner.  That Sentra is certainly over the limit, but as long as they took it easy and didn't have to do any sudden swerving or stopping, they'd be fine.  yikes

'74 260Z