76 (edited by jimeditorial 2009-08-15 07:18 AM)

Re: Chumpcar Race Series

Rockford Brodie wrote:

Plus, shouldn't it be a touque rather than a baseball cap?

Very few Americans know what a touque is.....your ancestry includes some Northern ties Rockford?...Love you avatar BTW...I met him briefly in 72 (I was an awed little boy) but his hair and sideburns were a lot longer! Great driver, underrated race mechanic.....That is Hill, right?

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

jimeditorial wrote:

Very few Americans know what a touque is...

Call it a beanie or a toboggan and we'll follow...

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

'Fraid not, Jim.  Born in Denver, raised in Kansas.  Really I'm just happy that I spelled it correctly!  That is indeed Mr. Hill, and I became a fan of his after reading about his talent, personality, and antics as well as his ability to rock a cookie duster as well as Clark Gable. 

I googled Brambilla and I assume you're referring to Vittorio Brambilla? (He kinda looks like the guy in your avatar)

1978 AMC Pacer - The Blue Flag Special
BFE GP '12 - IOE
BFE GP '13 - Co-Organizer's Choice w/ Speed Holes Wrenching

79 (edited by jimeditorial 2009-08-17 07:59 AM)

Indeed I am! Brambilla was "the Monza Gorilla", suicidally brave and perpetually overdriving the car...usually a customer March. Innes Ireland in R & T once wrote that he had "an almost hypnotic fascination with hurling his car off the track at every opportunity"....yet he was strangely good in the wet. Won the Austrian GP in '75 (at 37, oldest driver in the field) in a driving rain on a track so dangerous that two died that weekend, and Mark Donohue two days later from injuries...and wrecked the car crossing the finish line! He was also screwed out of a great British GP podium when half the field wrecked in the rain.... the race was red flagged...reverting to the pre-accident finishing order! He died like every GP driver should..mowing his lawn....
I'm a fan of those "character" drivers from the good old days before they became corporate robo-droids...as a kid at places like Mosport you could walk up to a driver in the paddock and ask for an autograph or picture....security was a couple of orange cones in the pits. Great days.

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Just came up on  Facebook - the new ChumpCar forum is online.  True forum etiquette means we should stop talking trash about it here, and start the bashing over there!

might have better luck on their forum with that question... i doubt anyone will answer you here

Look at the man's history and rather checkered past and draw your own conclusions.

Do some Googlin' on the now-failed Riverside Motorsports Park and the company behind it. There are lots of opinions and controversy, but I would say that it does cast some doubt on the Chumpcar series.

Of course I also think Chumpcar is a 'Lemons without the fun aspects' potentially lame series, so take my opinion appropriately. And Condren, keep your lawyers away from me.

Volvo PV544 (RIP) - now with Chevy 3.9 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 142 races and counting.
2/25/24

Anyone who has followed the Riverside Motorsports Park project for more than 20 minutes of on-line Googling can honestly report the bias both the project and it's entire management team received from the local Merced newspaper.  That the project was approved in December 2006 speaks volumes to the 7 years of work that went into developing a motorsports park in California.  That the project subsequently lost those approvals because of a technicality created by County government also speaks volumes about the issues RMP faced.  The same goes for the political issues that Altamont faced... but few appear to remember the legal defense that AMP put up to protect the Lemons events.  When the blind Forum post allows people to hide behind some avatar and a fictitious name, and they have 1 post to their literary credit... that tells me that its just somebody who wants to stir the pot and create a little controversy.  As far as the ChumpCar schedule goes, the proof will be in the racing -- won't it?  Check back with me in 15 months after we've completed the first full season of ChumpCar and we can compare notes...

All the best -
John

"Age only matters if you're a cheese."  Helen Hayes

84 (edited by Blanco Basura Racing 2009-09-10 04:03 PM)

kstar wrote:

all...I'm not sure if this is normal for the business but I've checked it out and ChumpCar is NOT confirmed at the following tracks: Willows (Jan), Homestead Miami (Feb), Infineon (Jan)...and i don't know how many others. Does anyone ...else think it's strange that ChumpCar is taking registrations and MONEY for these races that the tracks don't have in their calendars or know anything about them? Looking for some clarity.

I just called Infineon to confirm, Chumpcar IS on their schedule for Infineon 9-10, 2010. Don't know about the other tracks listed however.

Update:  Willows said on the phone that although Chumpcar (and others) have applied to race there that weekend, the track has yet to confirm with any organization. Further, since there's kind of a pecking order based on how long an organization has been renting the track, Chumpcar probably won't get their exact desired date.

It's confirmed.  Geez, you guys want me to send you all the e-mails and phone records, too?  As I have said from day one, we have two events that are "tentative" because they do their calendars so late -- Iowa and Infineon (for December 2010; the January race is confirmed), but our requests are in.  As with every track, any pending changes in their pro-schedule (NASCAR, IRL, ALMS, MotoGP, etc.) mean that any date can change.  This goes for everybody...

Guys - you got questions about the other series?  Then, take those questions over there.  This site is NOT the place for this discussion.  You want to talk about Lemons, then do it here and not over there.

John

87 (edited by Troy 2009-09-10 09:56 PM)

Wow, suddenly there's some activity here.

Hey look, John showed up too.  Hi John, hope things are working out.

I spoke to John personally some time ago about Chump and have probably bugged the hell out of him since.  We don't always see things the same way and I'm just gonna wait and see how things work out.  So I've quit bugging him for a while.

I believe Chump will put on races.  Yes, they do have an ambitious schedule.  As they get into the racing, I think they will probably have to make changes to rules and things as they go.  Same thing happens here in Lemons and somethings will likely vary by track.

I've had plenty of people down here in Houston, TX express an interest in racing at TMS.  Not sure how John is going to take my crap can.  It's kinda scary looking but pretty damn fast.  I just replaced the exhaust yesterday since it's been having some ground clearance problems.  Now, it's kinda loud and fart can sounding.

I signed up for TMS and was surprised I could do so this far out.  That being said, there have been no requests for any money.  I don't think you pay until you get some kind of acceptance.

As my friend's E-Production car says on the back "Talk's Cheap, Let's Race."  It's time for all you guys asking for more races to Nut Up or Shut Up.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

All i know is I get to add races to my docket for 2010... and 1 of them is in my backyard!  It's not a Chumpcar vs Lemons for me... it's ChumpCar AND Lemons!  Instead of 3 races within 800 mile, I now have 6!  Color me excited

my new slogan: nut up or shut up.  Total win.

90 (edited by Troy 2009-09-13 08:50 AM)

What happens when you don't adequately prep and check your brakes?

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/1 … -500px.jpg

(the fire started when a brake hose burst and sprayed the exhaust manifold)

The Tunachuckers were up late fixing their toasted engine compartment (thankfully, they brought many spare parts), and after a full rewiring job, carburetor repair, and a lucky brake hose find (the fire started when a brake hose burst and sprayed the exhaust manifold), they're back out there. Meanwhile, the Milano team spent all day and all night getting their engine back together- not bad by Alfa standards- and they're now roaring around the track. Things are about to get very, very hectic in the penalty box, so I need to go dispense some justice; check in this afternoon for possible updates.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z