Topic: How many events?

In general, how many events are people able to keep these things going without catastropic failure or damage? We've had a couple heaps for 3 races now, and will last more I presume, but what's that "retirement age" of most of these wrecks?

1 event
2 events
4 events?
As long as there's not totals or curses?

T.I.A

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

2 (edited by Jer 2009-05-12 11:13 AM)

Re: How many events?

None of our cars has suffered a catastrophic failure as of yet.  The Corolla will do it's 4th race later this year, for example, assuming I can get it running again (i think I can).

Last year both of entries left Stafford not under power but not catastrophic failures.  This year two of our three cars were driven onto the trailer after CMP, but the 3rd was rolled.  That would be the Corolla I was referring to.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

The World of Outlaws Miata is at #5... however, we did change an engine after #2.

"Age only matters if you're a cheese."  Helen Hayes

Um, we are 2 engines for 2 races in the mx6

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

of course your mileage will vary...  it depends upon many things...  the earlier AMP races were a bit harder on the cars, lots of "accidental" impact.  I fielded a car at an AMP event that I retired after getting it home.  I had another car that did five races, it was our original, and retired it after suspected frame damage due to missing motor mount bolts. and repeatedly hitting the pavement at AMP.  The number three car (I have run multiple cars at some races)has four races on it, and could use a new hood... but I'm hold off on that...

a replacement transmission and a couple of head gasket jobs due to overheating are about the major replacements.

We did replace doors and hoods on the original car, but remember it was an AMP car so the contact was much greater there.  The first Thunder Hill was like racing in an entirely different organization, and it's been that way since.  If you don't count drivers hitting the tire barriers that is...

We did put some stiffeners on the front of the car where the bracket that holds everything to gether is, very minimal stuff, guess it has helped but can't really tell?

6, including the roll over @ T-hill last December. We've straightened the car on a rack twice (post Detroit '07 and post Altamont II '07), and rebuilt the transmission after Detroit '07.

LOTS of front bodywork and a rear axle beam, after, now that I think about it, one of the SAABs gone wild guys nailed us @ Altamont 1 '07. But we used the 'tow strap and van momentum' technique to pull it straight enough to race again.

Original hood, and everything behind the 'A' pillar. Really, the revolution was after T-hill '07, way less demo derby action.

We will probably push the roof up enough to get a windshield in there, replace the rear wheel bearing assembly, and run it in 'Lucky 7' at Buttonwillow, where it will be RETIRED. That poor thing is used the F* up. yikes

Volvo PV544 (RIP) - now with Chevy 3.9 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 142 races and counting.
2/25/24

hmm... so maybe 5 events things are starting to get tattered, maybe 10 max?

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

This is an example of what doesn't happen anymore, thankfully!  Nursing a hurt car around to try and finish.  Note that the two cars I let pass are still in the frame when the collision occurs, meaning lots of time to avoid the hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxovEGbxkig

Well, I have noticed and appreciate the shift from a road race version of demo derby to just cheap road racing... I welcome the shift. Despite being "$500" cars, putting a $2000 cage in them plus brakes, tires, etc... makes them just a relatively inexpensive real race car with funny themes... I'm basically doing a cost benefit analysis of Lemons to see if I'm getting the best bang for the buck for my road racing $. So far it looks like it, and its a lot more fun than SCCA club racing thus far.

X-args wrote:

We will probably push the roof up enough to get a windshield in there, replace the rear wheel bearing assembly, and run it in 'Lucky 7' at Buttonwillow, where it will be RETIRED. That poor thing is used the F* up. yikes

You can't retire it until it makes an appearance with a Cimarron nose!

I agree that the shift to real racing with less contact is a good decision and better for everyone, but I do have to admit, pulling a PIT maneuver on another car that closed in on my line while driving with Saabs Gone Wild at Altamont '07 was one of the coolest moments I've ever had behind the wheel of a car. I could almost hear Sheriff John Bunnell's voice above me.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

LTDScott wrote:
X-args wrote:

You can't retire it until it makes an appearance with a Cimarron nose!

I agree that the shift to real racing with less contact is a good decision and better for everyone, but I do have to admit, pulling a PIT maneuver on another car that closed in on my line while driving with Saabs Gone Wild at Altamont '07 was one of the coolest moments I've ever had behind the wheel of a car. I could almost hear Sheriff John Bunnell's voice above me.

PIT Maneuver?

We had a "Shake and Bake" on one of the barges that was blocking at Toledo.. that was pretty cool too smile

THe pit crew revenge Honda 4dr civic ,caltrans and grinch car in one .has been to 5 races and the first AMPs killed it butis a lot of fun now.

But  Pit maneuver everyone or clipping /ripping off bumpers was a lot of fun .Or a good old patriot missle /top gun manuever was fun too!

my car is one its 2nd engine
    3 transmissions
    4 cv Axles
    3 blown struts
    2 bent struts
    1 rack and pinnion
    4 tierods
    2 spindles
    3 sets of front fenders and hoods
    16 tires 4 wheels
   4 rear control arms
   3 cases of Spray Paint

DRIVING INTO A CORNER @AMP 3CARS WIDE =  PRICELESS

I wish SCCA NASA  and all the other sanctioned organizers would recognize Lemons and put it towards Competition licenses

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!