Topic: What are the junkyards paying for scrap cars in your area?

We have guys advertising on Craigslist $300-350 for junk cars. Doesn't leave alot of room to negotiate price on Lemons projects. Anybody know what the actual metal value is for a car going to the crusher?

TEAM TONTO, 7 cylinders of thunder!
Now with 4 big Losses!
Steve was right

Re: What are the junkyards paying for scrap cars in your area?

It varies depending on how stripped is the car.  Some crushers deduct for tires, deduct for gas tank, demand a clean title...

We picked up a 2nd gen RX7 recently for $150 because it has no title and the junk man wouldn't take it without title.

Call your local scrappers and ask.  Knowing the price & conditions can be helpful in your Lemons negotiations.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

WHOLE titled cars in south Fl will scrap for $500+ to the tow truck or $400+ depending on model  for a truck to buy from you.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

We hauled our parts car shell to the crusher and got $180/ton.

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

Hmmmm.  We bought the TA off the scrap man for just under 500 bucks.  It finished Charlotte w/ just a few brake parts and an oil sending unit repair prior to the race.

b

This space for rent.

I took 2160# of scrap metal -- all scrap from various car projects -- to the scrap yard in Dallas about 6 weeks ago and got $210/ton for it.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Right now in Columbus its... 

$260 a ton for cars
$300 a ton for prepped steel
$.64 a lb for Aluminum.

Daniel Sycks

Just sold a load of scrap for $240/ton.  The yard was paying the same for cars with titles.  You gotta cut the car up into small pieces if you don't have a title...

Nick
Focke Ewe racing -> Muttonheads! Racing -> Torque Junkies
86ish VW GTI...now with TDI Powah!

A thread on scrap pops up and more than half of the Muttonheads! team posts on the subject inside 90 min. Coincidence, I think not.

Daniel Sycks

$8/$12 per 100lb, so $160/$240 per ton in DC

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

180 per ton in indianapolis

Eric Subliminal racing #711 e30
11 detroit dnf, 11 autobahn 4th, 12 detroit 2nd, 12 autobahn 1st
Rip #71 crx killed at autobahn 2010. 10 smt pt, 10 bull gp,10 rod b. smashed

How about per car prices also?

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Clark wrote:

We have guys advertising on Craigslist $300-350 for junk cars.

They lie.
Sure, they might pay that much for *some* cars, but for most they'll just say "Sorry, but we'll give you $100".  It's win-win for them because they get people to call them for free.  And they can't be hit with false advertising since they're buying, not selling.

-Victor

Clark wrote:

We have guys advertising on Craigslist $300-350 for junk cars. Doesn't leave alot of room to negotiate price on Lemons projects. Anybody know what the actual metal value is for a car going to the crusher?

That almost always requires that the car has a good cat. which is worth $50-$150 by itself.  I got $60 for the tiny one off of my 93 dodge shadow.

If it doesn't have 2 doors, 3 pedals, and 5 lug nuts per wheel - It isn't a real race car

Whole cars are $300 around here.

For our purposes, they won't be whole, so it pays to remove all non-metals and take to the scrap metal place. Then you get $250/ton and $30-50 for the cats.

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

I'm sure many people here have scrapped junk cars before. Is a title in your name normally required?

I bought a former Lemons car from another team that I am only using as a powertrain donor. The car is fully stripped and doesn't even have a roof or rear section, but there's some metal in the roll cage. I have the title in hand from the previous owner but never changed ownership. I'm wondering if I'll have any problems scrapping it when the time comes. I'd only be expecting scrap metal value.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

The guy I bought my truck from told me his buddy just junked 2 complete cars around here for $600 each.  I was shocked, but everything is more expensive here.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

LTDScott wrote:

I'm sure many people here have scrapped junk cars before. Is a title in your name normally required?

I bought a former Lemons car from another team that I am only using as a powertrain donor. The car is fully stripped and doesn't even have a roof or rear section, but there's some metal in the roll cage. I have the title in hand from the previous owner but never changed ownership. I'm wondering if I'll have any problems scrapping it when the time comes. I'd only be expecting scrap metal value.

I think I read this here before... if they demand a title, you haven't chopped it into small enough pieces yet.

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave
Scuderia Ignorante // Modena / Dearborn / Aichi Prefecture / West Texas

Ah, so cutting it up is the key? Hmm, not something I want to do considering the car has a cage.

LTDScott wrote:

Ah, so cutting it up is the key? Hmm, not something I want to do considering the car has a cage.

I wouldn't think you need to cut up the cage.  That's just scrap metal.

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

LTDScott wrote:

In my experience, it doesn't matter that the title is not in your name.  If you have the title for the VIN on the vehicle, that's good enough.  In late 2008, I scrapped a car with a Minnesota title (not in my name) at a facility in Ontario, California.  You can always call the scrap facility or yard and ask before bringing it in.

Team Co-Craptain, Los Cerdos Voladores
Plymouth Neon
Yeah, we're horrible...but we're LEAST Horrible

22 (edited by zebrabeefj40 2011-10-20 01:42 PM)

^^^^^ --  This.  Most yards just want a title.  I've not yet had a yard even compare the title to the pile I brought with me.  Only one yard has ever wanted the title in my name.  Lucky for me I happened to be scrapping out my old daily driver Land Cruiser shell that trip (which paid for my trip to Summit Point back in June).

Nick

Good to know. Did you take yours to a junkyard for cars or just scrap metal recycler?

LTDScott wrote:

Good to know. Did you take yours to a junkyard for cars or just scrap metal recycler?

I take my cars to the scrap metal recycler.  There's not usually enough left of my vehicles to bother hauling to a car junkyard.  The scrap metal guys also pay better than the car yards around here.

Nick

Holy thread Lazarus Batman.  Kudos to digging up an 8 year old thread.