Topic: What's in your Tool Box?

After my second LeMon's Race I was amazed at the spectrum of what some teams bring with them for tools (and what they keep them in).

I've seen a Uhaul trailer with what appeared to be "one of everything" from Snap On to what we (Police Brutality) use, which is a 5 gallon bucket with tools we found in the junkyard cars we pulled our spare parts from!

So what would you consider "essential" LeMon's toolage?

Owner #132 Lancia/Toyota Beta/MR2 Scorpion

Re: What's in your Tool Box?

We had the LTD team bring my tire machine. That was the best idea of the day. Next race if you need to use it just ask. No reason to go into town and pay. Scotty

Mello Kab
1996 Crown Vic
2 time  Least Horrible Yank Tank Award

I like diagnostic stuff.....fuel pressure tester, cooling system pressure tester, code reader, two multimeters and lots of test leads. An IR thermometer will scare the hell out of you but it feels good to check tires, brakes and wheel bearings. For brakes, a pressure bleeder set and lots of synthetic brake fluid....this really helps get the air out in a hurry.

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

You can never have enough stuff.  We brought a ton of tools, but still needed:
phillips head screwdriver (whoops)
pvc glue
jb weld

the staples are usually:
hammers
zip ties
duct tape
safety wire if you wanna get fancy

No matter how much you bring, you forgot something.

The Sharks
Home of the E28 Turbo Tuner Fish and the Hammered Head 944 Turbo

After Reno...we carry a spare key with the security micro chip in it....seems a cadillac wont start unless it has one of them. We almost found out the hard way after the security system diode broke just before the start of saturdays session

What's a key?  Our car didn't even come with one.  big_smile

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

TEAM RRT JOKER wrote:

After Reno...we carry a spare key with the security micro chip in it....seems a cadillac wont start unless it has one of them. We almost found out the hard way after the security system diode broke just before the start of saturdays session

Hey if yens guys are at NL I'll "fix" that pesky key thingy for yens once and for all
seams that micro chip is just a resistor,just bypass it.  Dave

King Arthur wrote:
TEAM RRT JOKER wrote:

Hey if yens guys are at NL I'll "fix" that pesky key thingy for yens once and for all
seams that micro chip is just a resistor,just bypass it.  Dave

were not going to make NL, were in for T-hill. We had the resistor in place but had a bad connection sat morning and by the end of the day it was broke in half...try and find a 1.5ohm resistor in fernley on a sunday....walmart made us a spare key, that we used in the ign, and jumped the security system by using the original key and touching it to the security wiring...then taped the original key on the dash....just incase

1/2" wrench, wire, tape, fuses, extra fire extinguishers, more wire, voltmeter, extra wire, zip ties, electrical repair kit, and a 5 lb whacker-sledge.

Everything else is superfluous but we bring everything/anything we can put our hands on anyways. Makes us FEEL prepared. "Pipe wrench?" Bring it! Hack saw? Check! Pickle fork? Uh..... ok... timing light? DEFINITELY. Torque wrench... meh.

You can nearly build an entire MG with a 1/2" wrench, a Philips and a flathead. Oh and lots of wire.

We gonna dominate.

Wait. Where is my timing light...

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

1/2" wrench, wire, tape, fuses, extra fire extinguishers, more wire, voltmeter, extra wire, zip ties, electrical repair kit, and a 5 lb whacker-sledge.

Everything else is superfluous but we bring everything/anything we can put our hands on anyways. Makes us FEEL prepared. "Pipe wrench?" Bring it! Hack saw? Check! Pickle fork? Uh..... ok... timing light? DEFINITELY. Torque wrench... meh.

You can nearly build an entire MG with a 1/2" wrench, a Philips and a flathead. Oh and lots of wire.

We gonna dominate.

Wait. Where is my timing light...

Yeah, and a spare Lucas ACR17 alternator....might as well use wing nuts and quick-disconnects too ....

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....