1 (edited by ihatemybike 2009-05-01 01:29 PM)

Topic: Restore

Anyone have any opinions on Restore brand Engine Restorer and Lubricant?

I have a GM 4.3L that's setting a P0302 and all the normal things have been checked already.

Aaron

1999 Astro (Green the Daily Driver) - 2WD, 4.3L, 3.23, 200k+ miles, FE2 steering
1997 Astro (Grumpy the $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 330k+ miles on the orig eng and trans, $30 eBay fuel pump

Re: Restore

Since I'm a time traveler from the carburetor era, I have no clue what P0302 means (I presume something like: Crappy Condition, Left Bank, And Also the Right Bank). But Restore is essentially like engine molasses that fills in the blanks. Pretty sure BillyBaller used a full crankcase of Restore in his MGB. Couldn't hurt to try it....

P0302 is a cylinder 2 misfire.  Code doesn't set when I'm on the gas, only at idle.

Aaron

1999 Astro (Green the Daily Driver) - 2WD, 4.3L, 3.23, 200k+ miles, FE2 steering
1997 Astro (Grumpy the $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 330k+ miles on the orig eng and trans, $30 eBay fuel pump

I thought cylinder misfire codes were typically an injector or maybe ignition code.  I don't know if the computer can detect compression.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

screw the engine restore just run a few cans of SeaFoam through the crank and fuel. if that's not enough find some SeaFoam DeepCreep and inject it directly into the intake manifold. BTW, this creates a lot of smoke so keep it in your garage with the door down so your neighbors will think your house is on fire.

I had that code and it turned out my distributor was corroded to crap.

7 (edited by ihatemybike 2009-05-03 09:15 AM)

I've been fighting with this misfire with Grumpy for a while.  Usually misfire codes are due to dirty injectors/sticky poppets.  I've done Seafoam twice and the GM Fuel System Treatment Plus, also twice, to no avail.  Since the injector/poppet is usually the cause, I decided to swap the injector for cylinder 2 with another cylinder.  This in theory should move the misfire to another cylinder, if the injector is indeed the problem.  Having completed the swap between cylinder 2 and 4, Grumpy still sets code for cylinder 2.

Here's a list of causes for P0302 errors that I found on the net and if I've done something about it:
* Faulty spark plug or wire - New installed
* Faulty ignition coil - Temporarily swapped in Green's coil
* Faulty oxygen sensor(s) - Swapped sensors between banks
* Faulty fuel injector - Moved injector to different cylinder
* Burned exhaust valve
* Faulty catalytic converter(s) - Exhaust does not smell like rotten eggs
* Running out of fuel - Fuel pressure is good
* Poor compression - Wife hasn't reported smelling burnt oil after following the van.
* Defective computer

I've also borrowed Green's cap and rotor (5k miles of use), code still set.

Now here's the weird thing that I noticed.  If I clear the code and don't let it idle, the code will not set.  Any ideas what's happening with partial throttle that would prevent it from setting?

Aaron

Misfire codes are a bitch because they're popped by a crank sensor and not directly by what's causing the problem.  A lightweight flywheel can cause misfire codes because the crank rotates differently than it did with the heavy OEM flywheel. 

If the car's running well otherwise, ignore it.  Misfire codes are only there in OBDII systems for emissions purposes - if a cylinder is misfiring, it's pushing unburned fuel through the exhaust and emitting more HC than it should.  I would assume that if this is a Lemons car, you won't be running a cat and you really don't give diddly about emissions.

We put a LWF on my wife's Outback 25K miles ago and it has been intermittently throwing a misfire code ever since.

Mod Squad Racing
http://twosrus.com

Unfortunately Grumpy will most likely be a Lemons car tow vehicle instead of a racer and thus needs to be street legal and has to pass emissions.  Would be nice if I could have them test it at 55 mph, but no they have to test at idle while it's throwing the code.  Phttt....emissions.

Aaron

ihatemybike wrote:

Unfortunately Grumpy will most likely be a Lemons car tow vehicle instead of a racer and thus needs to be street legal and has to pass emissions.  Would be nice if I could have them test it at 55 mph, but no they have to test at idle while it's throwing the code.  Phttt....emissions.

I think you're in the wrong forum, then....

Lemons Tech
Building and tweaking your Lemons car.

Mod Squad Racing
http://twosrus.com

Yeah...this should probably be in the Other Random Car Crap forum.

Oops, thanks Nick.

Aaron

Im not a stage three certified Ase master statistician but im preety certain, RESTORE WILL NOT REMOVE A CODE OR ELIMINATE A CAR FROM SETTING A CODE.  restore simply loosens sticky things and plugs things that need to be plugged.  Car may not smoke as much or leak as much after use but you'll still have a PO*** code im quite sure.

Team Lost in the Dark- North Texas-- #892 miata  j the laaaaaam (formerly barbie car)..R.I.P #89 mx6

I would look for a vacuum leak around that cylinder. Could be a lean misfire at idle. Try spraying some starting fluid at the gasket between intake and head. See if it idles up if there's a leak.