1 (edited by Speedycop 2009-09-16 05:42 AM)

Topic: Rocket-inspired styling--1961 Cadillac coming to Nelson Ledges! (pics)

Pics on the link:
http://www.info-komen.org/site/TR/Passi … fr_id=1130

PLEASE REPOST THE LINK EVERYWHERE YOU CAN! October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. What better way to raise money and awareness?

Team Police Brutality--Beating up on breast cancer has just purchased a very rough 1961 Cadillac to be entered in the 24 hours of Lemons Endurance Road Race for $500 cars at Nelson Ledges Road Course in Garrettsville, Ohio on October 3-4, 2009. We will be painting the Caddy pink, and using it to raise awareness and money for Susan G. Komen For The Cure. Our team has suffered through severe battles with breast cancer, and lost mothers, sisters, grandmothers, even a grandfather because that cancer wasn't cured. Why on earth would we use a rusty 48 year-old, 4,710 lb. luxury car (that hasn't even been started in a year) for a 24-hours-straight endurance road race a mere 2 1/2 weeks after buying it?

We needed a car that will draw everyone's attention in order to raise enough support for our cause. What other car on the track could draw as much attention as a monstrous classic pink Cadillac with tail fins? We figure the best way to raise substantial money is to use internet forums and online media outlets to spread the story, and ask for modest donations that the average person can easily spare in this economy. There are two ways we would like to have donations made in honor of our extraordinary racing effort:

1) You can just send a donation, however modest (you likely won't miss $20, for example) to Susan G. Komen For The Cure through this page, or

2) You can pledge to donate a dollar for every lap we complete. The course is two miles long. The car barely runs or drives at the moment, and has hardly even moved in years. There's even grass growing inside of it! We don't have the funds necessary to rebuild it properly, so we'll pretty much just be fixing the carburetor, starter, and brakes, and adding a roll cage and paint job. Is this lunacy? Probably, but then we're pretty crazy about the idea of finding a cure for breast cancer. You could say it's a sucker bet, and we won't get more than 10 laps anyway, but you just never know. We'd be as surprised as anyone if we went the distance, but we're going to keep it going as long as we can.

The race runs from noon Saturday (Oct. 3) to noon Sunday (Oct. 4) nonstop. Your pledge to donate a buck a lap would surely help motivate us in the wee hours, when the car breaks down, and we're running out of steam. Breast cancer affects us all. You can probably name at least several people close to you who've suffered because of it. Take a moment and pledge your financial support! You will be rewarded with the knowledge that YOU helped make the difference in the fight against breast cancer! 100% of the donated funds will go directly to the Susan G Komen organization. It's the largest source of nonprofit funds dedicated to the fight against breast cancer in the world, with over ONE BILLION DOLLARS invested to date!

Watch for links to progress updates on the car's build, and stay tuned after the race for pics and videos of the event!

ABOUT OUR TEAM:

We have one former cop, his son, one current cop, his cousin, a racing buddy, and a bunch of friends who form our support crew. Our team name is purely intended to be humorous, as our normal race car is a Lincoln Mark VIII that beats up on smaller cars (see the YouTube video attached for an example from September 12, 2009). We will be spending several thousands of dollars of our own hard-earned money on this effort, and we will not see one dime of the donated funds. We hope that our efforts will inspire you and your friends to donate and make the difference! My sister is fighting for her life right now because of this disease (she's in the hospital as she just had emergency surgery yesterday for an infection in her artificial hip, and she's only 38), but like Susan G Komen, she REFUSES to give up hope. She's an inspiration to all of us!

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Re: Rocket-inspired styling--1961 Cadillac coming to Nelson Ledges! (pics)

Glad there are others supporting the same cause we are.  There will be a small pink armada out there, although admittedly you guys have the pink boat, we'll have the pink dingy in comparison.  Booby Prize Racing will be sporting a pink nissan in support and fund raising for breast cancer as well.

Keep it up, its great to see people using the Lemons races for good causes.

Great cause, Jeff and we wish you well as we're leaning towards something like that for a future race.  I recently lost a sister-in-law to it at much too young an age.

I love the bumper cam video, it was awesome.  As a former Mark VIII owner (I drag raced mine a few times) they were much underrated and undervalued cars.  You'll always get a little love from me on the last real Marks.

I got a buddy that used his '95 Mark VIII  over half a dozen times in the Silver State races out in Nevada running in the 120 mph class and averaged 14 mpg over the 90 mile plus public road race. 

Our little 2.3L Mustang got about 14 mpg running Lemons this year.  How did Police Brutality do in that respect?  Also we could just about touch 85 mph on the speedometer by the end of the start/finish line before jumping hard on the brakes.  I was wondering about what some of the faster cars like you were hitting at that point?

Once again, great cause and good luck,
Bill Hamilton
Infidel Racing

Bill Hamilton
Infidel Racing
Team Number 3
1988 Mustang 2.3 liter with 88 Shetland ponies under the hood

awesome Jeff.  having seen that car in person, i can't believe you guys are gutsy enough to brng it to NL of all places.  we'll have a whole bunch of tools if/when you need it.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

5 (edited by Mulry 2009-09-16 07:46 AM)

What is this breast cancer of which you speak? I'm not aware of it. Must be pretty rare and not very highly publicized. smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Wait, you just started putting that Caddy together for a race that takes place in 2-1/2 weeks? AIIEEE!

MurileeMartin wrote:

Wait, you just started putting that Caddy together for a race that takes place in 2-1/2 weeks? AIIEEE!

What, you think we're SANE or something? http://www.crownvic.us/forum/images/smilies/new/teehee.gif

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Post Pics! And tell me how you do that, by the way....

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Awesome!

I have a lot of parts left over from a '62 Fleetwood 75 Sedan I parted out (if only Lemons had been around back then!), along with some random '59 Cad parts, and various other basket-case leftovers- drop me a line if you need any Cad-specific stuff, I may have it.

I sure hope this car is ready in time. A '61 Cadillac Lemons car might actually give the Lada a run for Organizer's Choice and/or Index Of Effluency.

Wait. Where is the car in question? If it's in the Cleveland area, I'd be glad to thow some very unskilled labor at it.

Or, for that matter, any other Lemons car, the closer they are to me the better.

The car is in Maryland. We'll take all the help we can get! I dodged a bullet today at work, as I was about to be forced to go to Pittsburgh for 5 days for the G20 Summit (Mounted Riot Control Squad), but they got just enough volunteers. I simply don't have time to go play in Pittsburgh, as much as I would have enjoyed it. With 15 days before we have to get the car loaded on the trailer, and the fact that we are about to start working on it in just a few minutes for the first time, we don't have ANY spare time.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)

Infidel number 4 wrote:

Great cause, Jeff and we wish you well as we're leaning towards something like that for a future race.  I recently lost a sister-in-law to it at much too young an age.

I love the bumper cam video, it was awesome.  As a former Mark VIII owner (I drag raced mine a few times) they were much underrated and undervalued cars.  You'll always get a little love from me on the last real Marks.

I got a buddy that used his '95 Mark VIII  over half a dozen times in the Silver State races out in Nevada running in the 120 mph class and averaged 14 mpg over the 90 mile plus public road race. 

Our little 2.3L Mustang got about 14 mpg running Lemons this year.  How did Police Brutality do in that respect?  Also we could just about touch 85 mph on the speedometer by the end of the start/finish line before jumping hard on the brakes.  I was wondering about what some of the faster cars like you were hitting at that point?

Once again, great cause and good luck,
Bill Hamilton
Infidel Racing

Bill, it was great meeting and racing with you guys. We didn't record the mileage, but it's a gas hog. Also, our RPM's stayed at 6k-6100 on the straights, just shy of the rev limiter (6250?), and I'm guessing it was about 75-80 mph.

The always-great-to-work-with Jim Whitley from Rollcagecomponents.com will have our cage cut by Monday (hopefully), and at a slightly discounted price. We'll just pick it up to save time, he's less than 2 hours away. I'm off to measure for the cage and start yanking the rotten, grass-growing carpet and falling headliner.

I wonder if late-60s Caddy disc brake components are bolt-ons for the '61...

I had a '61 Cadillac Limo given to me about 20 years ago..... that thing dwarfed my open trailer... I can't even imagine how yours is gonna drive!!  The 390 & cast iron trans weigh a ton and the trans will need a ton of cooling to live. 

I ended up swapping the powertrain into a 4dr. Chevette, pumping the exhaust out behind the front bumper & leaving single blackies all over the neighborhood..... it was fun while it lasted! big_smile

Best of luck to you guys & hope to see you at Nelson!!

Eric

Speedycop wrote:

The car is in Maryland. We'll take all the help we can get! I dodged a bullet today at work, as I was about to be forced to go to Pittsburgh for 5 days for the G20 Summit (Mounted Riot Control Squad), but they got just enough volunteers. I simply don't have time to go play in Pittsburgh, as much as I would have enjoyed it. With 15 days before we have to get the car loaded on the trailer, and the fact that we are about to start working on it in just a few minutes for the first time, we don't have ANY spare time.

On a full frame car when you don't have time, consider chopping the roof off for the cage and seat install...it's not structural and you wouldn't believe how it makes the cage install easier. I used to use the Home Depot type heavy perf strip and big self tappers at all the posts....just drill 'em in (two above the cut, two below), then remove and get the Sawzall. The perf strip sections let you re-align the pillars easily even if the roof "springs" a bit. Then it's a few minutes with the wire feed and you're good to go. Sure beats the "ship in a bottle" approach when time is short.

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

18 (edited by Speedycop 2009-09-16 06:28 PM)

Considering this car has a bizzare "X" frame, we prefer to keep the roof structurally intact for a little added protection. I don't know yet what the future holds for a caged Lemons '61 Caddy. I'll probably slap historic tags on it (cheap insurance, no inspection), and actually drive it.
Thanks anyway for the tip, Jim!

I can't wait to get up there at the end of the month and get Brutal  with the electrical system.
My Fluke is quivering with excitement... big_smile

Day One Progress:
Car is on jackstands, wheels are off, as are brake drums. Front brakes look new, right rear has been leaking, and the hoses look, well, 48 years old. Seats are out, rotten, grassy, insect and mice infested carpet's out, and measurements for the cage have been taken.  Joey and I only worked from about 6:30-9pm, but we felt it was a good start. We got a kick out of the mice running around in the engine bay. Every now and then they'd run past us on the frame rails. smile

TAKE PICTURES!!!

Tomorrow afternoon...

http://www.info-komen.org/images/friendraiser_uploads/1130.1457089912.custom.JPG

Oh, I already know what it looks like... I'm reminding him to take progress pics so I can put them on the web.

MurileeMartin wrote:

I wonder if late-60s Caddy disc brake components are bolt-ons for the '61...

I dont belive they are, not to mention they are god awful expensive (prepped a 69 Caddy for BABE)

But if Mr Speedycop gets a moment to pass through Mullica Hill I have the old hubs/rotors from the 69 which he may have for test fitting purposes.  Sorry the rotors are too far gone to be used.   Might have the calipers still too (might be rebuildable but the calipers are fairly cheap, the rotors/hub, if you can find them, cost $150-$200 each...sux)

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."