Topic: Love the blown head gasket stencil

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/09/HeadGasketStencil-800px.jpg

We saw several cars at CMP with the stencil that tells the world "A Lousy Blown Head Gasket Can't Keep Us Down!" I say this should become an honored Lemons tradition.

Re: Love the blown head gasket stencil

The Skool Boyz Datsun had one of the best blow head gaskets I've ever seen. If they didn't stencil it, they should have...

http://www.ronman.org/pics/lemons_fall/4/img_5478_std.jpg

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

I've been toying with ideas for marking how many motors we've toasted..  I thought about welding a piston to the roof for each motor.. or even a camshaft (except that I plan to re-use ours)

You should have seen the blown gasket on the CoROLLa over the weekend. It blew between the cylinders. Melted the steel combustion sealing rings. Also melted a chunk out of the head between the affected cylinders. They guys took pictures. We should be seeing them soon.

ask and ye shall...

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_6f_OJedDo08/Sq6j8BN4v2I/AAAAAAAAyx4/MB07VHP3i6Y/s800/IMG00278-20090912-2150.jpg

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

That takes talent

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

And there you go! smile

the HG is missing a big chuck corresponding to that notch in the head.  the rolla will be sporting the actual gasket tacked to the car in future races.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

A new HG, some JB Weld on the head and it's good as new.

that's how we got it up and running again.  unfortunately the head fix did nothing to prevent the engine from puking its water all over the place when we filled it.

12+-time loser

The Nemo E30 team used JB Weld to patch the same sort of burnt-head problem, only they had four bad cylinders. It worked great... for 10 laps.

Buzz Killington wrote:

that's how we got it up and running again.  unfortunately the head fix did nothing to prevent the engine from puking its water all over the place when we filled it.

I always read your posts in the Buzz Killington voice...

damn you!

Uberbird!

MurileeMartin wrote:

The Nemo E30 team used JB Weld to patch the same sort of burnt-head problem, only they had four bad cylinders. It worked great... for 10 laps.

and do you know why it didn't work?  because they're Scots!  ho ho.

12+-time loser

Buzz Killington wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

and do you know why it didn't work?  because they're Scots!  ho ho.

LOL. ::long Peter sigh::

We used head gasket in a can and it actually held for all of Sunday.  Guess we can't stencil the head gasket but,  how about a can on the side of the car?

Seriously if the CDC was running the Lemons race that weekend we would have seen breaking news alerts on Fox and CNN for a pandemic of head gasket failures.

The Bars Leak we used at CMP didn't work at all...

but then there is this thing called "Reading the Directions" that we missed...

Owner #132 Lancia/Toyota Beta/MR2 Scorpion

teamsaabstory wrote:

Seriously if the CDC was running the Lemons race that weekend we would have seen breaking news alerts on Fox and CNN for a pandemic of head gasket failures.

i think i have formed a theme idea!

arse-sweat-apalosa thunderhill 2011 : team killer zomBee!

18 (edited by teamsaabstory 2009-09-18 10:20 AM)

Bonedriver wrote:

The Bars Leak we used at CMP didn't work at all...

but then there is this thing called "Reading the Directions" that we missed...

We tried two rounds of Bars with zero success.  Then we went for the big can of K&W (?).   Luckily one (and only one) of our team is a reader of directions and saw the final step was to drain the water from the engine before we letting it sit overnight. 

We performed one additional step involving the entire team praying to the setting sun in the west to honor the Japanese heritage of the Saab 300zx.